1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

MacTel Optimization - OSX

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

What I need now

What I need now that Traktor 3.2 is out is OSX versions of the following windows apps:

Tag & Rename
    MP3 Gain
    BPM analyzer
    MIDIOX
    AudioShell
    1.4a Rename (RegEx file batch renaming tool)

I'm yet to find an OSX tag and file handling tool that comes close to what Tag & Rename does and there is a far as I can tell simply nothing like MP3Gain or BPM analyzer for Mac... or am I missing stuff here?

Phil

2. PhilL

Something new for Traktor 3.2 Two finger Touchpad Phase sync adjustment drag adjustments! Beat that for coolness Windows!

3. PhilL

Two things that will cause you grief when playing back on a MacTel....

1/ Mac OSX Dock Animations (bouncing icons), when they run, you'll find the Traktor Wavforms will run very roughly till you stop the bouncing animations.

Question for the Mac Experts... Is there and easy way to turn the animations on and off?

2/ Widgets. They are often times not efficient and spend long times executing doing their own thing and do not give other apps a chance to do their wiork. Some / many do not seem play with realtime applications like Traktor. You should disable widget-world before playing live, there are scripts that kill off widget-world temporarily. Be aware you'll start the entire kingdom again just by accessing the widget page which brings me to my next question.

Is there a script that disables the widget-world till you run another script to enable it?

Phil

4. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

Phil,

In response to your first question, I don't know of any...

In response to your second question, look at this thread:

http://www.native-instruments.com:80/forum_us/showthread.php?t=32879

That's a script that I built that will do what you're looking for. One day I would like to make it into a nice little application but time is scarce. I'm sure you can dissect it and make it work how you want...

5. DJ-}Moose

DJ-}Moose Forum Member

Phil,

1) Dock Preferences, uncheck "Animate Opening Applications". Most apps will have a notification setting where you can turn off bouncing alerts. No bouncing on my Macs :)

2) Download the free app "Dashboardkiller" from:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19248

Been using it since 10.4 and works a treat.

Cheers,

DJ }Moose

6. PhilL

One step Closer to Mac - Windws integration

For those now running Macs and OSX but who have switched from Windows and still have a need to run windows apps, Parallels have just released Beta 3 of their virtualization software Parallels Desktop. Continuing to build on the existing system two important new features are now available that bring seamless windows XP apps into the Mac environment first is drag and drop between the two operating environments and the second is coherence, which gives users the appearance (mostly) of windows apps running inside Mac OSX. While not perfect by any means, its great to be able to run Sound Forge and Acid right beside logic express, reason sits right beside it in windows and you cannot really see much windows influence. Its great to see this new integration in place but much testing remains to be done. when conherence is turned on you get the windows taskbar placed oddly above the mac dock. Not perfect but it will do for now. In coherence mode your windows apps appear in the dock too so they are easy to get to.

Additional new functionality is USB 2.0 support although webcams etc are not supported due to the lack of isochronous support, and sadly there is still no native 1394 support, something I am keen to see sooner rather than later.

7. flowbike

flowbike New Member

Re: One step Closer to Mac - Windws integration

jeeeah, Parallels is getting better and better. the new coherence mode is pretty cool, but much better is to start apps direct from the dock.
    i just use overflow to start apps an built a new category for windows apps. If you leave you Vm suspended, you can start any windows-app within 15 seconds, "booting" included :cool:
    you can also turn off the taskbar or place it at the top of the window, so you have no conflict with your dock, or you place your dock on the left or right side. Also cool: with command + tab you can now switch between mac and windows apps too.
    another new feature: the clipboard is synced now and shared folders can be done by dragging them on the right bottom of the parallels window.

happy new year

sven

8. PhilL

for the hard drive space constrained McBook Pro users... I offer this link....
    http://www.beatchemistry.net/blog/?p=56

I would direct link but the un-smartass phone won't display the link on the page properly I'm sending this from...

Phil

9. flowbike

flowbike New Member

hey this is really cool stuff.
    i think this is really interesting in use with time machine in leopard, or to separate music from the system volume, or as a mirror .......

thanx Phil !

10. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Re: Hot Keys

MacBook Pro 2.16 15" / Traktor 3

Ive noticed that the hotkeys ive set up in Traktor 3 on my new Macbook Pro seem to be odd (this is difficult to describe ).
    when i press the Z key which ive assigned to PLAY Deck (A) the track only starts when my finger releases the key NOT on pressing the key. If i press the key down but leave it down the track wont play until i lift my finger . This is really annoying. My iBook doesnt do this with Traktor2.6

Anyone got this one sorted. PLEASE HELP.

11. flowbike

flowbike New Member

Re: Hot Keys

hey Karlos,
    try to change the control type in the preferences>hotkey>select your assigned control, and choose toggle as control type (in the lower section of the window). save and try and then change back to hold. is this problem only on one key ?

12. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Thanks for that Flowbike. Ive got a few more urgent problems now so i have put the Hot Keys on hold but will follow your advice. Thanks

I installed Traktor3 on a brand new MacBook Pro and decided not to copy over the stripes from my iBook (traktor2.6) BUT it was gonna take over a week to stripe so i uninstalled Traktor3 following th manual and re-installed it and copied the stripes folder. It is working properly .
    BUT
    The desktop icon now has a crossed circle in the centre which i imagine is a WARNING. Does anyone know what it means. It has been registered/authorized with a key sent to my email so i dont understand. Im a working DJ 4 nites a week in busy nightclubs , i cant have this program shutting down on me midset. Until i get it road tested im gonna continue with the iBook but its hard drive is full.

Please help (again)... this forum is a god-send.

13. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Karlos, you might want to open a new thread for this question. This thread is for *optimization* of running Traktor on a MacTel with OS X. Your question doesn't quite fit and might not be read by someone who might have an answer for you.

14. canton

canton NI Product Owner

Huge recommendation for "superduper". Free. $20 if you want to do incremental backups, meaning you get picture-perfect (bootable!) images of your hard drive often in 10 or 20 minutes.

Saved my butt several times.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper

- canton

15. raikard

raikard NI Product Owner

Last night i was playing with traktor 3.2.2 over my macbook pro 2.16 with 2gb of ram, before i started to play with T3 i've opened itunes to play a cd for 30-45 minutes.
    After some time the display went in stop mode, the music continued without problems (from itunes)...then, when i've started to play the first track with traktor (with the awaken monitor) i haven't no more midi responses through my midi ctrl and also the audio out was inexistent, things that worked before the monitor stop.
    (i've used the mouse to control the gui faders and knobs)
    I had to restart the machine to reobtain the audio out and the midi control.

The used audio card is the NIs Kore, and all the drivers, as for the audiocard as for Osx, are the latest.

I know that the better thing could be to set "never" over the monitor stop setting, but i think that the thing is strange and would have to be analyzed.

Dunno if someone has already reported this problem...i've did a quick search over the forum without succes about this thing.
    Sorry for my english!

16. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

raikard, this thread is about people showing mac optimizations.
    if you have trouble, please use an existing thread that covers your issue or start a new one.

17. raikard

raikard NI Product Owner

Thanx for the advice...will start a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.