1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Managing Playlists?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by hamzter, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

so, I was wondering if there is rule of thumb on managing the playlists.

I mean should the playlists be sorted by genre', bpm, artist or alphabetical order.

I just moved to TS from SSL and I miss the record crate philosophy of SSL. But then again, I may just not be understanding how these playlists work.

2. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

What's your preference? You can sort by all these. How different are SSL's crates from TS' playlists?

3. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

at first the playlists were cool. But I notice now after several reboots and restarts of the application the analysis of the track doesn't load right. BPMs seem kind of weird as well, meaning not accurate.

Anyway, I prefer to sort playlist via BPM. But if playlists are more stable being smaller then I will do that.

I am just trying to figure out what is the best and efficient way to manage the list.

4. AudioRapture

Well, this is rather subjective. I prefer to sort by BPM myself, but that does not mean that it is the "best" way for you.

The best path to accurate BPMs are BPM ranges based on your primary music style(s) and beatgrids.

5. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

I was also wondering what is the limit of playlists?

so, in SSL I can have different playlists and have the same song in different playlists as well. Should I do that here also?

I also have a question about searching...

I search for a keyword and I can't find the song, but I know it is there...

what am I doing wrong?

6. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

What are you typing in to search?

7. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

any keyword that would be in the name of the file.

8. djquartz

Check to see if it's actually in the Track Collection.

If it's not there, it won't be found.

9. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

that is what I was afraid of... so yes, it is not in the Track Collection. Is there a folder depth limitation to TS? It does not seem to catch all the songs...

Unless I am doing something totally wrong.

I went into the pref's and set it to my external HD. Should/shouldn't I be doing that?

10. djquartz

How are your tracks setup on your external hardrive?

11. AudioRapture

1) set your music folders (in preferences)
    2) import music folders (right-click on Track Collection)
    3) repeat step 2 every time you add new tracks to your music folder(s)

12. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

by folders right now, and there are multiple folders that go about 3 or 4 deep

I believe that is how I am doing it...

Playlists should load upon start up if they are there right?

13. DJ James Lake

DJ James Lake NI Product Owner

The only way playlist wont load is if you have them set to the worng directory. Check in the preferences that they are pointed to were they are in the hard drive they should be in the playlists folder in TS in My Documents.

With regards to searching, are all your song ID3 tagged with the correct names otherwise they wont pick up. Also when searching keep the search not too specific but specific enough to get narrowed down results.

Tracks must have been added to collection to show up in searches.

For example: to find a song titled "higher state of consciousness" just search for something like "higher state" that way it will take into account miss-spellings and still find your track.

BTW never search for club or dance unless you want thousands of results and a long wait :D

14. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

so is there 2 ways to search or does the search function check both MP3 tags and filename?

15. AudioRapture

It checks both.

16. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

Thank you for confirming that.

So I have to have my music library loaded before I can do a search for tracks? I think Serato does this via the explorer...

If someone knows can you confirm?

17. AudioRapture

Well, you can only search a database for what is *in* the database...

18. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

that makes sense, but what if you want to add a song in the database... can't you search for it first?

that would only make sense to me... but if not, what other way would you do it?

19. AudioRapture

That's what defining music folders and the "import music folder" function are for.

I have slightly over 10,000 tracks and it only takes a few seconds.

20. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

hmm... maybe I am doing something wrong... but when I do it, it takes over 5 minutes. I only have like 200gbs of music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.