1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Manual beat mixing crew, check in!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by S1L1C0N, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djfitty

djfitty Forum Member

95% manual. Its so easy, loops, effects, beatmatching grooving to the beat that I forget snyc is there. I use it mostly when using 4 decks but I dont have many songs beat matched correctly. I find when I do use the sync button, its like it kills my bounce, my groove to the beat, its like I'm a robot just pushing and mashing buttons. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad its there, I just like working hard.

2. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

The feeling has been described so perfectly...I literally almost lose my groove if sync is on. There is something so RAW and unflawless about manual correction.

3. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

I think there is too much focus on the syncing function being an automatic endeavor. In case "nobodey has noticed" the sync function isn't absolute, itsn't perfect, and it doesnt' do it for you.

It might be likened to a more mechanical visualizable manual beatmatching. Which is exactly what it is. It does the same exact thing as a manual beat match. It time stretches the track (plays it at a different speed and) links its place in reality with another point of reference--the transient on the other song. This is exactly what happens with manual beat match on two turntables. With the software you have the ability to jump around in the PCM audio and loop things, re cue to an exact location etc. Its manual beatmatching +1,000,000.

The fact that you have to get on the pitch bend buttons is completely authentic and I think that it kind of pisses people off that they might have to actually pay some attention to the matching situation. This manual process and not being able to hear it because one doesn't have any actual beatmatching experience is a rediculous reason to be dissappointed in the software. And its a rediculous reason to say "I beat match manually because its better". NOTHING IS BETTER except for some people's abilities and that is based on hard work and understanding.

Right now I am trying to do everything that I can do with a turntable. .. Without any control device , its completely different than having a controller -- its just the keyboard. And it is very limiting. And I can't expect to have any edge or further ability than the next guy when I step up to VCI or a turntable. Even if I have that ability. Because it has nothing to do with that either.

i guess what Im trying to say is that there are explicit and direct functions of this software that are absolutley necessary for you to learn if you are going to push its limitations. And one shouldn't limit themselves by adhereing to a practice because its better, that will completely dissolve with and when the tools of your practice are serendipitously dissolved in front of your face along with everything that melts accordingly. I have friends .. they melt faces . I can't do anything when they are around. Its freaking wierd. Its something that is technologically unexplainable.

4. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

Ah, but sync IS perfect, so long as you know how to set beat grids properly.

Sync rules, and this is coming from someone with 9 years of vinyl DJing under his belt.

5. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

Agreed also, sync in my genre is incredibly perfect, so perfect that last night a producer who has never in his entire life Dj'ed came to the studio and mixed like a pro by loading the decks, knowing the basics about beat counting, and releasing tracks at the right moment, his mix was excellent haha! When I put it in manual mode It was a whole different ballgame ;)

6. ariser

ariser NI Product Owner

I still do it manually :) Old habits die hard i guess .

7. DJGStefan

DJGStefan NI Product Owner

I really don't care what technique the DJ use to move the dance floor. To clam the you need to master special technique to be a proper DJ is just stupid. When I started DJ, 15 years ago, I pre made mixes on my computer with 2-4 song, burned it on CDs and played that. I had around 10-15 of these mixes and I did big success every-time i played.

Then, of course, I learned to mix and I stopped to use the premixed CDs. Now I beat mix vinyl or CD with the pitch in a few seconds. Moved from vinyl to Traktor a couple of years ago and use the sync button all the time.

I really don't understand why people get impressed by manually beat mixing. But, if DJ use it, it's up to them as long they don't care how I do my mixes.

8. ariser

ariser NI Product Owner

i guess it aint 1985 no more lol :p jeez im old

9. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

It is important also to point out the difference between Club Djs and Gig Djs We each use the tool in settings with much different demands. DJGStefan if you rolled up to a club with a CD and proceeded to play it, it would be the last time you spun in a club...

10. signaturex

ithink these methods are still very valid and would be identicle to soemone playing a preconfigure ableton set. which happens very often.

11. DJGStefan

DJGStefan NI Product Owner

Of course you cant show up with just one CD. If you are a beginner and premix some 2-4 songs sets, then I dont see any wrong with that. When I started to DJ I had a full time jobb and dint have the time to practice mixing. So the premixed CDs helped me a lot. You more I played the less I used these CDs.

If people has a amazing time on the dance floor, why care about how the DJ does it?

12. signaturex

im sure he misunderstood your use of "a" cd and I think that anyone who just showed up with one cd better have some special mixes on that one cd. But I have seen it happen. And Ive seen it happen with one cassette tape.

13. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

Im appauled that anyone would play at a club with any pre mixed cd's , even 2 tracks . That pisses me right off cos im finding it really hard to get gigs but know when i get them ive worked hard to get the skill to handle any situation that may come up and then some

14. signaturex

so what about ableton does that piss you off.

would it piss you off if fifty percent of your favorite djs and other electronic entertainers used click tracks and premixes and templates do almost all of thier show.

15. signaturex

when i was doing live sound for some independant electronic/band groups i was astounded by the groups that would come through who had a dedicated channel for their premixed basslines keyboard parts drum tracks and even sample sequences. But it didn't really piss me off, I was like wow, i was doing this ten years ago. Hmm i could record that premix channel and have all their beats for myself. !

16. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

Nah Ableton is surely different cos altho its all synched up someone who has gone to the trouble to learn Ableton and perform with it will be creating music through loops etc . What im against is second rate dj's getting gigs and using pre mixed sections cos their scared of messing up in front of a live audience . Let me get this clear im not against ppl using the sync with Traktor if they're gona play an amazing sounding set , its if your gona use cd decks and beatmatch to then have some pre mixed tracks is basically saying " Im not good enough to do this mix live" which to me means you shouldnt be up there

17. signaturex

what about remixing songs into mashups with ableton or traktor and burning the audio to a disc and then mixing the mashups with each other. and then burning those onto cd. And then mixing the cds live. with the loops from the cut session and the mashups.

18. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

Going back to something Sig said. "NOTHING IS BETTER except for some people's abilities and that is based on hard work and understanding." This seems about right to me , there should be skill and ability behind what you do so if you want to get picky then if someone has done all sorts of manipulation and made a new track that sounds sick through Ableton or whatever then fair play . My point was it shows a lack of ability and hard work to pre mix 3 tracks and simply mix that into another pre mixed cd cos you dont have the ability to do it live whether with the sync or not . I cant really think of any other way to say it

19. signaturex

i am just worried that some - one might be discouaraged by dictattive opinons about their activities being valid. Im saying most things are valid especially if there is energy on the floor because of it. This isn't a place for competative conduct amongst those who hold the grail communatively. It takes many hands to pass it along and nobodey has more responsability than when it is to their lips.

20. von Bordwehr

von Bordwehr NI Product Owner

Why? Why is it so important that the mixing is done live? And for whom is it important?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.