Maschine 2.2.1 Crashes Cubase 7.5 and 8

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by backbeat2, Jan 12, 2015.

1. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

By looping 4 Bars in Cubase with having Massive in Soundslot 1 on Maschine Plugin and no other Sound in Maschine , Cubase Crashes if 1 or 2x times the loop is played.
    Anybody else has this problem?

If I use the same Massivesound without Maschine Hostplugin it works!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Make sure Cubase is not bridging Maschine. If using Cubase 64 bit then make sure the 64 bit version of Maschine is in the folder Cubase is looking for 64 bit plugins. You can open the maschine GUI in Cubase and click the NI icon to see what version is listed. Check that against the Cubase version (I think the about screen)

3. backbeat2

No, Maschine runs in 64Bit Plugin Mode in Cubase 7.5 and Cubase 8 64Bit!

I can provoke that thing if i even load a clean cubase project and one clean Maschine 2.2.1 Plugin with 1 Massive Soundslot.
    The Maschine Plugin is on an Instrument Channel and I make a 16th pattern as midi on the instrument channel of cubase.
    No scene oder pattern in Maschine Plugin!
    Now I loop the midi part (Cubase L/R Markers on that midi part) several times.....and crash.....

4. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Okay, I don't have Cubase to verify. Contact Support and file a report on the issue.

Try starting the loop on bar 3 in Cubase and see if that helps. I remember needing to do that with Cubase back in the day due to looping issues in the first bar of the project.

5. backbeat2

Ok, I´ll do that .
    Semms that it happens on every bar.....

->done!

6. tonecre8

tonecre8 NI Product Owner

I have both and will try to reproduce it.

7. backbeat2

Ok! And it is only with Massive loaded into Soundslot of the Maschine Plugin!
    I have Maschine Plugin with Maschine Sampler on other channels that doesn´t have this problem!

Maschine V2.2.1 x64 with Massive V 1.4.2 x64 and Cubase 7.5 x64 and 8.0.5 x64

8. jonsolo

jonsolo Member

Do you have ASIO Guard on? If so, disable it.

And I can reproduce it WITHOUT Massive. If I have a loop from any instrument in Maschine, and ASIO Guard is ON, I get a crash. Turning off ASIO Guard seems to help.

9. djwaxxy

djwaxxy NI Product Owner

I have all the programs you mention and im running it in 32bit and no crash from me.
    but I also don't know why your trying to run massive within maschine within Cubase..
    massive runs much more efficiently with Cubase separate from maschine.

10. jonsolo

jonsolo Member

If someone does a scratch demo outside of Cubase in Maschine alone, then this makes sense.

11. tonecre8

I was unable to reproduce this behavior. Tried with Cubase 7.5 32 and 64 bit as well as 8.05 32 and 64 bit. I simply loaded Massive in slot 1 of Maschine and created a 4 bar loop. I let Cubase play repeatedly quite a number of times in all mentioned versions.

12. backbeat2

Thanks jonsolo !
    On my 2nd DAW it is working fine even when Asio Guard is turned on.....hmmm Windows Updates?

I am using Massive in Maschine because you have such big possibilities with Maschine chorder and arp that you don´t have in cubase.
    For Dubstep/Complextro it is easyer to make patterns with 16 Massive basses that switchover .
    I use it in an unusual way ;-) ....and I like browsing all my 34000 Massive presets with Maschine Browser while playing!

13. skinsfandc

skinsfandc Forum Member

How do you like cubase 8 so far? How is the workflow? Do you think it was rushed? That is the vibe I get for some at the steinberg forum.

14. tonecre8

I find it to have some bugs and odd crashes. I've put it on the back burner for now. I would definitely wait for 8.1 before buying.

15. backbeat2

I like the new chorder and the new gui.
    Mackie Control and Always on Top are my main bugs that annoy me.
    But I can switch between 7.53 and 8.05 ....

EDIT: I ve installed all Windowsupdates that are available on the 2nd DAW.....
    Still there isn´t the problem as on the 1st DAW.....
    The only difference is that
    DAW1 is I7 1st generation with RME Babyface ->Problem.
    DAW2 is I7 2nd generation with Saffire Pro 40 ->no Problem.
    Both running Win 7 Pro 64 with the same Cubase / Maschine /Massive Versions ....strange..

16. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

everything crashes cubase, that is just part of using cubase.. for all the features and functions and extended compatibility and bridging comes a tad bit of expected instability, though i have not had this issue with looping in maschine's patterns, if that is what you mean, by having a selection in cubase set as loop to is equal to are extends beyond that of the machine pattern so either looping occurs by cubase selection or duration in cubase. i use cubase mainly in 32bit as that is still the best format to work with. i did not have that happen in 64bit either when trying replica in maschine, which i decided was not worth going 64bit over since i have waves H-Delay already. if you are having crashes in 64bit with 2.21, use 32 instead as you do not need 64bit unless you are actually accessing more than 4G of ram in cubase, check the activity to verify, and samplers have ways around that as well as audio files in a DAW are streamed from disc using only a slight bit of ram for the buffer., you also do not need to run 2.21 in cubase as well as it creates a redundancy of features like arp and chords... so the solution would be to stick to 2.12 and 32bit. .. you can have the 2.12 version of the vst in your vst folder as well as the 2.2.1... just load that one...

17. backbeat2

Thanks ntula !
    I use both 32Bit Cubase and 64Bit Cubase ....i´ll try if it happens in Cubase 32Bit as well.

After several tests on the DAW1 today I recognized new things!
    This morning cold start of DAW1 all was fine, testing maschine with massive and loopproblem.
    All seemed to work!
    After I loaded the problem project I decedid not to play the whole project but the very last loop with maschine and massive, it worked!
    After I played the whole song through and looped the very last loop .....bang cubase freezes and crashed !!!
    Then I rebooted the whole DAW machine because the E-Licenser isn´t recocnized after cubase crash....

18. backbeat2

Some news...
    I gave my problem project to two colleagues of mine.
    They both have Cubase 7.5.3 64Bit . The Project loads fine but they have blank screens in the Maschine 2.2.0 Plugins(I have version 2.2.1).
    No Groups and No Sounds and Maschine Audio Input at Max , why that?

EDIT:
    I´ll give it a try with 32Bit Cubase/Maschine/Massive .
    Project didn´t load correctly -> Maschine was blank on Drumgroup and on the Maschine Plugin with Massive (same as my colleagues had with their 64Bit).
    After I loaded the patches by hand I can´t repoduce the Problem in 32Bit!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  19. tonecre8

Saying "everything" is a bit embellishing. I wouldn't expect any instability save for a dot zero release. The guys over at Steinberg will get it sorted though. I don't think that the OP's problem is caused by Cubase. It's an odd one for sure.

20. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

key words "tad bit". if you are a long time user of cubase you know to save your work as you work. cubase has always crashed every once in a while, that is just the the way it is. it is for studio production and not intended as a live performance app, so a crash every month or so is no big deal.. i would rather have the 32/64 bridge and an occasion crash over not having it.... and cubase still crashes less or give fewer issues and errors than logic x did on the mac, which is sort of amusing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015