Maschine 3

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by quiet, Jan 7, 2020.

1. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Ehem!!!!!....KAZOO!!!!!!!! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. tempsperdu

Quite..OK IN the Eighties /Ninties I could kinda understand this obsession with catergorisation maybe as many of the 'strands' of music we have today were just forming but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to tie themselves to the mast of anything in particular. Giving something a name doesn't make something interesting or resonant it just brings conotations, so what?

Agreed, for me it needs to have the elegance and ease of use the best of it's functions have across the board because atm that's sadly far from the case.

• Like Like x 1
  3. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I have to say, it's kind of hard to get a feel for NI's direction because since the big layoff, nearly nothing has happened.

No product releases, no upcoming product teases, very slow development on existing projects.

Although things are undoubtedly happening inside, from an outside view the company is at a standstill right now.

When taking the step of going public talking about a bold new direction, I think it probably makes sense to announce what that means. Since it was just vague corporatespeak, it could mean anything at this point.

• Like Like x 4
  4. tempsperdu

I'm trying to look at this in a positive light. If we take their indications thus far they want to consolidate and improve what they have and make it work with better interoperability. That IMHO if true can only be a good thing and why concentrate on bringing out further 'new' products when what they already have has so many plusses apart form in most cases an acute lack of attention and development.
    A more interactive and less sprawling NI could be something to aim for.

P.S They kept Raum completely under wraps, gave it as a Christmas freebie and IMHO it's an excellent product..hopefully that is an indication of where they might be headed.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  5. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

VST3 support in Maschine is a big one (at least for me), very pleased to see that coming, same with auto-growing patterns. Means the product definitely has a future ahead of it. Massive X saw some big improvements in 1.1 and 1.2, which is nice as it fell a little short of expectations at launch for a lot of the forum regulars. This is all more than we've had for a while from NI in terms of sizable changes, hoping it's indicative of things to come, but also hoping that Maschine 3.0 isn't like Massive X where it's a rewrite that's missing a lot of fundamental functionality, half-baked and a side-step is never good, better to make sure it's a real upgrade and wait a little longer, though Massive X is where it should have been at launch now for the most part.

• Like Like x 2
  6. freakydinde

freakydinde NI Product Owner

I think Maschine could be better understood and generate less frustration if they didn't opened it to VST, they should have implemented a versatile maschine synth instead.

Massive X is nowhere it should have been, they killed one of their best license, sound and possibilities are gorgeous, but the UI is a non sense (except for the routing windows ). I strongly believe that what make a successfull synth is the workflow, Massive, Sylenth and Serum are not better than the others, they are just easy and fast.

as producers we need a daw to tweak sounds and throw fx instead of writing music, i find Maschine really music oriented : focused on real time playing, not much audio capabilities, no pdc, no freeze...

• Like Like x 1
  7. David Rodríguez Cristerna

David Rodríguez Cristerna New Member

I'm just waiting for an update to loop analog audio just pressing REC instead of having to go to Sampling then Record. Honestly it's driving me nuts having to go through all of that to jam with my guitars and bass. o_O

8. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

Not really getting what you mean - REC is obviously only going to be for recording in the sequencer.. hitting the SAMPLING button first then recording seems like a pretty fast workflow to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. David Rodríguez Cristerna

What I mean is that if every pad could act like a track when you have an audio input selected, it'd be way faster to just hit 1 button to record than to have to hit sample and then start (that's 2 button presses) way quicker, and I mean specially for live performance where being able to seamlessly loop your instruments is a must. If you are sketching or producing, sure, but If you are live performing is a hassle.

Ableton, for example, treats the same way vst's and audio tracks, so you can just loop whatever the hell you want just by hitting record. That's 1 key press. Not to mention, you also have to take into account that you have 2 sampling modes and each of them have their own setups.

Again, I'm talking about the efficiency in a live performance case. Production/Sketching is fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Here's some background...
    Maschine is more than a decade old and the ability to record audio and have it loop automatically or just general Audio Loop support is still pretty new and sort of in the beginning stages of development, Maschine wasent originally designed to do that. It felt like it was rushed to support sounds.com tbh. Anyway, for the past decade, all recording was aimed towards the sampler only, that's all recording audio was used for... this is why it behaves as it does and you have to press "Sampling", everything was built around this approach so it will take a while to be re-designed, keep in mind an Audio Module/Plugin is not an Audio Track like in a DAW.

Your best bet to get this addressed is when the arranger is improved, if they add audio tracks in a more traditional sense that can span across sections it makes even more sense to add a way to be able to switch from only recording MIDI in the default Menu to recording Audio directly as you want so Maschine can be sort of a multi-purpose performance looper.

• Like Like x 3
  11. David Rodríguez Cristerna

As you said, it had/has a different purpose. In the end we find ways to use the tools we want to use and the tools we need to use. I bought Maschine because of some finger drummers I saw, and to be honest, I'm not dissapointed. It is a good buy, but I thought I could use it to live loop, instead of using a pedal looper or anyother thing (tbh ableton is an eyesore for me). If it does go that way in the future, that'd be dope, and I can picture lots of people turning to maschine instead of using it with ableton.

For now, I'm really enjoying being able to quickly sketch ideas, and just starting to practice some live stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

I'm looking forward to Maschine integration with Alexia myself.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

"Alexa, export my fire beat to SoundCloud."
    "Your alarm is set for 4am."

• Funny Funny x 2