maschine and using unorthodox time signatures = unusable w/o hardware

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Jun 6, 2019.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

so i'm making a song in 12/4. Now for some reason, I cannot manipulate the header with my mouse and skip to different areas of the pattern/scene. I either have to wait until the whole patten is done playing for it to repeat, or use my shift + 4d encoder on my MK3 to access this function. is anyone else experiencing this? I may have exaggerated by calling it "unusable", but if you repeat things as much as i do while arranging and recording, you'd spend a lifetime making one song with this bug.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Try to set arrange grid to 1/16 like in the photo. Or deactivate by clicking the double cross.

Uwe[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  3. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Just tried this and it is indeed weird. On my Maschine it will sometimes move with the mouse although not precisely where I click and sometimes not. :oops:

4. StarSMASH

does nothing.
    my maschine usually moves the playahead rhythmically the closest in the next pattern where i click compared to where it was before i clicked (if that makes sense). I actually prefer this as there is no jarring differences in the section in which they play and it is more fluent.

5. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Not true. It changes the resolution for where you can click and play from in the Arranger timeline and also defines the resolution of the loop brace.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes of course if you continue to play and click so where in the timeline it tries to stay on beat but normally if you disable it completely with the double cross then it could behave like you want

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  7. StarSMASH

i think you guys are misunderstanding what i'm saying. i meant it "does nothing" in regards to the problem i posted about. whether i turn off the hashtag (which i'm aware turns on quantizing and grid locking), i still cannot move the playahead with the mouse cursor when i change my time signature to 12/4. i'm not sure what other time signatures it doesn't work with, but it still definitely doesn't work with that one- i've tried your solutions and it doesn't work.

8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Ok - then I don't know, can only say it works on my side on 2 computers

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  9. StarSMASH

so
    so it works for 2 people in the thread and not 2 others. i'm operating on the latest update. what about you guys?

10. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Latest windows 10 on my main computer and latest windows beta on my laptop. I will make a video about what I mean maybe I understand you totally wrong.

Uwe

11. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Have you tried ctrl + space? It should restart the scene or section.

Uwe

12. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

OK Video does not work but I try to describe - if I play the song and I click in the upper area where beats or time is displayed like 1;1.2;1.3 and so on it jumps but not exactly where my mouse pointer is and it also depends on grid resolution. Only ctrl + space works perfectly and restarts.

Uwe

13. StarSMASH

you mean option + space? that's the restart button combo

14. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes correct

15. StarSMASH

ok i figured out the problem but i'm not sure how to change it.

If i have only one pattern with time signature being 12/4, i cannot click and scroll between that pattern if it's playing. It would have to be stopped and i can navigate through the pattern. It's only when i add more than one scene to the arrangement where i can click and navigate through the NEXT scene, but not within the current one if that makes sense.

So I can change the playahead to any scene, but not WITHIN any scene. hard to explain, but it seems like i'll just have to use the hardware for this. When i'm using 4/4 time signature, i can click anywhere within the scene/pattern and the playahead will move there.

off topic: is your name based off of a director (uwe)?

16. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes I think some things are better from hardware (maybe some intended to be?)

And no my parents wanted to give us (have 2 sisters) short names my mother said, strange somehow but I was too young to vote against.
    Do you meant Uwe Boll? Worst director ever some say

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  17. StarSMASH

Yea i think that's him
    we're all victims of being not only named, but born without our consent lol.

• Funny Funny x 1