1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

maschine as plug-in in DAW, any way to trigger external synths via maschine's physical midi out?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by pizzihaga1, Nov 20, 2020.

1. pizzihaga1

pizzihaga1 New Member

hey people! Please help, as Im completely puzzled after searching for the solution for several days already.

I use maschine inside Logic as AU plug-in (for multitrack recording of individual sounds from maschine in Logic). I have an external synth connected to physical midi out of the maschine. I want to have the synth triggered by the maschine (to start the synth in sync with maschine, I dont even need to transmit notes back and forth) when I push play/record in Logic.

When the same setup is used in maschine stand-alone mode - no problems arise, maschine just triggers the external synth via midi out. The problem arises in the above mentioned setup, when I move to Logic and use maschine as a plug-in. I cant make maschine trigger external synth via physical midi out, when maschine is in AU mode inside Logic.

Now, I found several similar topics discussed before, but those are outdated, perhaps things have changed and evolved since 2015? I learned from those threads that AU doesnt support midi out, it was suggested to move onto Ableton. I tried Ableton to no avail. Cubase and Reaper were also suggested, but still I couldnt find an explanation video detailing the setup and routing inside Cubase or Reaper for this purpose.

It's frustrating because the only thing I need is to be able to start the synth in sync with maschine and to get audio tracks from maschine and my synth in Logic for multitrack recording.

If the software route is super complicated and barely possible - perhaps there's a hardware solution? Looks like audio interface/mixer wont help because as soon as I go plug-in mode with maschine in Logic, the maschine's midi out port stops responding, so I cant sync my external synth to the maschine to start it's sequence in sync with maschine. I can use the audio interface/mixer and use maschine in stand-alone + my synth, but in this case I will only get 1 stereo track from maschine with all audio from all maschine tracks combined in one single track and hence wont be able to process individual sounds in post.

please advise! Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  2. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

When using Maschine as a plugin in your DAW, all MIDI is handled by the DAW. I think the best thing you can do is drag MIDI from Maschine to your DAW and let the DAW play your external synth.

3. pizzihaga1

pizzihaga1 New Member

the problem is that my external synth is supposed to play its own part preprogrammed inside its own sequencer, so I don't have a midi part for that that I could drag to DAW

4. pizzihaga1

pizzihaga1 New Member

From what I've read, it looks like when maschine is used as vst (but not AU) it can still trigger external synths through its physical midi out port... Im still puzzled though of the exact method how to achieve this in Ableton.

5. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

I think the problem is that you can't have both Maschine and Ableton use the same MIDI port, so maybe if you disable Maschine's MIDI port in Ableton it will be available in the Maschine plugin. I'm not sure as I've never tried it.

Edit: I guess it will not work because in plugin mode there are no Audio and MIDI tabs in Preferences.

prefs.jpg

You will need to enable MIDI sync in your DAW to make your external synth play in sync.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  6. pizzihaga1

pizzihaga1 New Member

Thank you! Yes, exactly that! MIDI sync needs to be enabled. Tried it in Logic and it seems to work, though I tested with maschine being used as an audio interface (which it is, yes), but it cant handle the exact scenario I need, ie. a separate audio interface needs to be added to the setup so that maschine is connected as a plug-in and an external synth is triggered by the DAW from MIDI OUT port of the audio inteface (maschine in this case cant act as audio interface, since its physical MIDI OUT port is blocked when maschine is in plug-in mode).

I write that the solution "seems to work" because I couldn't test the full setup (I will need yet to purchase an extra audio interface) and can only assume after some crazy routing and heavy digging inside of Logic.