1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Maschine + Battery 3 or just Maschine?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Lotuz, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:27 AM.

1. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Bought Battery 3 yesterday. I'm not sure yet if this will be a keeper or if I'll sell it again when it becomes transferable. If you already have Maschine 2, then what has Battery 3 got to offer that Maschine hasn't besides the drum kits?

2. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Over 200 views and no reply. This doesn't look good for the Maschine + Battery 3 combo. :eek:

3. The Sarge

The Sarge NI Product Owner

maybe noone really understand what you´re doing there?
    first buying then asking what is it good for? :confused:
    buying yesterday Battery3 and thinking to wait a few days to become it transferable to sell it again - hey, that´s not auctionhouse of World of Warcraft ;)
    and why have you bought Bat3 and not Bat4?

I for my side use just the sounds from Bat4 then beatmaking in Maschine or sometimes with my old Roland MC-303 andrendering everything in Cubase

others have 6168 views and only 26 replies - so you have the normal average

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

:D

I got a good deal, so I could benefit either by using it myself or by selling it. If it has some useful features that Maschine doesn't have, then it might be worth keeping it. If Maschine has already caught up with Battery, then I'll probably put it on sale. So that's why I'd like to know if people still use Battery together with Maschine in 2019, not just for the drum kits, but also for the features.

Why Battery 3 and not 4? Because the general opinion seems to be that Battery 4 is not as good as 3.

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

For my workflow Maschine doesn't play well with Baterry, to use Pad Mode you have to map the Pads to the Pad containing the instrument and lose the ability to control parameters for each pad from the controller knobs like Maschine's Built-In sampler can. It's also sort of redundant to use it in Maschine imo. I have Battery 4, not sure about the V3 features.

It has some cool things it can do (V4):
    • Round-Robin to give drums a more human feel by alternating the sample triggered each time.
    • It can time-stretch individual samples non-destructively.
    • A lot more samples can be added (cells, as they call it).
    • ADSR parameters have visual feedback so we can sort of see how it's affecting the sample.
    • Velocity sensitivity can be different in each Sample Cell.
    • There are articulation settings to do things like drum rolls or flam on a per-cell basis.
    • MIDI Echo.
    And probably a lot more I don't know about, overall it's more polished than Maschien built-in Sampler but it's not really built with Maschine in mind, it makes more sense in a DAW for me but I can occasionally use it for a single Pad if i want for example: round-robin with a different but very similar hi-hat sample triggered each time I press a Pad.

6. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

That's the stuff that could make it a keeper, but indeed on the other hand it could be a workflow killer.

That what I was thinking too. That's how I used the original Battery (2001) inside Cubase, but Halion very quickly became my main sampler. Battery 3 on the other hand seems to be a much improved version.

7. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Browsing though the manual now. The Humanize and Articulation features sure look interesting.

:thumbsup:

:eek::D

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-One

It's astonishing to me how the Sampler is the heart and soul of Maschine and it lacks all those cool features that Battery has, everyone rages on and on about song mode, PDC, automation, and a bunch of other features that are complicated to implement... to me the sampler is actually more important to develop first in a.... sampler, it's the basis for everything else, but hey, thats just me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Is it a sampler? Is it a DAW? No, it's a Groove Production Studio! ;)

Battery users have been wondering if NI has stopped developing Battery. If they're right, then why indeed not upgrade Maschine with the features Battery has and Maschine hasn't. Perhaps Maschine 3.0?

10. D-One

A DAW I would say absolutely not, not even close.
    Is it? Nop, that's what they called/call a Maschine Studio, Mk2 and older models, for the Mk3, as well as the new models they changed the name to: "Production and Performance System" ;) does it matter what they're called tho?

On a more serious note, those are just the terms companies make up to define their gear... They could call it Pink Unicorn Music Box if they wanted too, it doesn't change what the core functions are. Akai called theirs (MPC) MIDI Production Center, then changed it to Music Production Center, some people just use the Groovebox term, it's all really.. just a name... I understand that what's considered a core function of a device can be subjective tho.

People will always speculate if product X is responsible for the lack of development of product Y, thats how it goes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Installed Battery 3.2.3 this morning and tested it briefly. It's pretty light on the CPU, so you could put one instance of Battery on each sound and use one cell only for example.

Found this helpful video of saintjoe below. Automation makes Battery integrate better, but unfortunately there are still quite some controls that aren't automatable meaning you'll have to use the mouse.

12. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Yeah battery 3 has a much bigger sample size than 4.
    The humanise features, flams, rolls etc make making loops with a funkier feel far easier than it is in Maschine. People been asking for these features in Maschine from day one too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mangoblack

mangoblack NI Product Owner

I was reading on gearslutz I think where some hardcore battery users were disgruntled with version 4 because they removed some key features. You probably lucked out by grabbing the older version. Battery 4 is doing a lot of my drum stuff now. Personally my MK3 has become a glorified transport control for logic. (It works fantastic in this regard) I'd love to be inspired to make music with it again. No new sample pack can achieve this for me at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

This video is 5 years old. I don't know if NI has improved Battery 4 since.

There was a time I didn't care much for stock drum kits, but I must admit that drum kit at 4:14 sounds pretty nice. :cool:

15. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I think in the end it's a powerful songwriting tool with Komplete Kontrol. Don't think it will be a DAW, but they will give us arranger improvements to where we won't need one ( for production/songwriting).