1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine & Cubase Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by K-Tone, Dec 20, 2019.

1. K-Tone

K-Tone New Member

Hey NI, would really love a much more intuitive Maschine & Cubase integration. Something along the lines of how the hardware works with Ableton & (more recently) Logic. Transport controls, mixer, etc; Mackie Control is cool and all but it still lacks some things. All my Cubase users, PLEASE LET THEM KNOW THAT WE NEED THIS!!! I mean unless you guys plan on making Maschine 3.0 a fully fledged DAW, WE NEED THIS!

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Sarge

The Sarge NI Product Owner

Yes!
    Yes!
    Yes!

I also want that easy integration like Maschine1.8 back - thanks in advance :thumbsup:

3. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Big YESSSSSS

5. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

So you're saying that Cubase doesn't support midi mapping? Honest question here mind you. Even with Ableton support I still need to switch between 'Maschine mode' and "Live control mode" (so: I need to switch the instance). Or I can switch to MIDI mode and make sure Live picks up the transport controls in the right way.

But both ways require me to change the mode of the Maschine before I can 'do' things and from my p.o.v. there really isn't all that much difference between the 'Live instance' or 'MIDI mode' where the transport controls are concerned..

Note that I'm not disagreeing here or such, but I can't help but wonder if you may be anticipating a bit too much from all this.

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

yes it of course works, i also made my own mackie template and it supports also the screens of maschine, but it could be better with an advanced mixer view, like with logic -
    EQ editing with curves on maschine screen and so on.....

Uwe

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I dont get it...

That fancy-looking advanced mixer (DAW Control) only allows for very basic control, it's so underwhelming that the guy in the video covered it's functions in literally 30 seconds... How does this give users anything that the Mackie protocol doesn't when MCU is so much more advanced?

AFAIK there's nothing out there that can show Cubase EQ curves, not even the remote control app made by Steinberg themselves (last updated 2 years ago) so I dont see how NI can do it since there's no scripting support API for Cubase like Live has.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes correct for functions like EQ native would need a new FX plugin or program already existing maschine or kk to show EQ cuves on screens. And yes the mixer with the meters is not much but I would like it in addition, and of course it's not the end, there could be so much more (like EQ curves) - but for me it's not on top of the wish list that's for sure, just dreaming a bit what could be.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  9. D-One

I see... If the OP request and everyone else's is in fact the basic 'DAW Control' i see no reason for it not to be added, it's been a long time and KK-S mk2, for example, has it.

AFAIK MCU allows for meter feedback (since it's used for motorized faders), what would be a more realistic request IMHO would be to update the ugly looking Template Interface and add volume meter feedback according to the MCU standard, perhaps sort of combining DAW Control with CE templates (MCU). Or Cubase should just make a Push2 equivalent hehehe jk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

The meters in the MCU protocol are realized via channel aftertouch. And really strange that even EuCon protocol does not provide EQ curves and analyzers of the daws own EQS AFAIK - 2019
    Something like console 1 (and more) but with screens and the typical 8 knobs around/under it would be killer - and the hardware is already here!! "Just" the software is missing.

Uwe

11. D-One

Yeah, it's pretty odd. Only the high-end consoles with screens display stuff such as eq curves like the S1 from Avid / PT, (just the curve, no spectrum) and... Push2. (both curve and spectrum lol) The MPC new live integration is also getting close but that's not any good news for Cubase or Maschine users. Putting some pressure on Steinberg might be in order but I am not sure their userbase significantly cares about this sort of stuff.

The first company that actually manages to make an affordable universal DAW controller with screens + modern visual feedback and that can also be used as a production tool will have quite a successful product in their hands but I doubt that's happening anytime soon, Push2 is really alone in his category. It might be more likely that each DAW eventually makes its own controller lineup.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. K-Tone

K-Tone New Member

The way I'm set up right now is thru the Controller Editor with the Mackie Control template. So I have "some" kind of transport control but its such a hassle to hit record on my keyboard, then go back to Maschine to start playing. And all this is done without switching to MIDI mode. Just wish for a more intuitive process is all. If someone knows of a better way to integrate Maschine & Cubase don't hesitate to chime in.

13. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I have tried and use my own mackie template for maschine studio and cubase. But I think maschine inside of a daw if you want to use maschines sequencer is not a good thing ad I gave up on that. Now I use maschine stand alone then bounce out audio and mix in Cubase.

Uwe

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. K-Tone

K-Tone New Member

lol. yeah what i want is to find the most intuitive and fastest process to make songs and beats quickly without having to move around too much. Almost like recording jam sessions and then picking out the best parts to arrange together. Mixing is a whole nother thing and I'd rather talk to Steinberg about that (wish they'd update that DAW controller of theirs and extend it to at least 8 faders and knobs). I just feel like all my problems would be solved if I switched to Ablelton but I'm stuck with Maschine/Cubase. Hope Maschine 3.0 brings alotta new features that will make it a top contender (in both software and hardware) against Ableton Live.

15. K-Tone

K-Tone New Member

I might just try it that way. Just wish the sequencer/arrangement in Maschine was better. Actually wish a lot was better so I can just produce solely in standlone lol. NI needs to catch up

16. D-One

The fastest way to achieve such is by using custom made templates that fit your workflow, imho.

Top contender VS Ableton? Sorry, I dont want to be a pessimist but that's not going to happen, AL has had 10 major versions, Maschine is on it's 2nd... If that's what you're expecting then chances of getting disappointed are very, very high.. You might be waiting for something that won't happen since the development rate of the two is miles apart.

Switching DAW's for production is very daunting, especially when you're an advanced user with what you use already or have spent years with one software, it takes a long time, patience and it for sure decreases the work output but it can also be fun. I look at it like this: If what I am using isn't making me happy and I keep looking at the competition and thinking "I wish I could do that" then it's time to change but... I admit, it's very hard to change.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  17. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Completely understand. I tried them all,,,. I think the easiest thing was finding a DAW that matched Maschine's workflow. The two best to me are either Studio One or Ableton.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019