1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Maschine Mikro MK3 could be a perfect tool - if NI did not spoil it.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by klancyk, Apr 7, 2019.

1. klancyk

klancyk New Member

I sold my Maschine MK3 some time ago. Despite the obvious advantages, this device had defects (at least for me) - Maschine is way too big, it does not fit on the desk in front of the laptop. It has displays that I do not use, because I have a computer monitor for this.

That's why Mikro MK3 would be a perfect solution for me if the company did not spoil it - actually hurting itself.

First of all, Maschine Mikro MK3 midi settings can not be edited in the Controler Editor.

Failure is complemented by the fact that as an owner of Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector Edition with 50 extensions, I do not have access to the full Maschine 2 application library. For this I have to pay extra 99 Euro.

Some marketing "genius" in NI stated that Mikro is to be an entry-level device, encouraging to buy "full-grown" Maschine and therefore it must have some limitations. Unfortunately, someone did not predict that there are power users who value compact sizes, but need the full power of the device. You will not persuade me in this way to buy a "full-grown" Maschine, because I already had and sold it - for the above-mentioned reasons.

That's why, people from Native Instruments, I'm asking you, please think about it. Show that you treat power users seriously. Maschine Mikro MK3 should be editable in the Controller Editor, and the K12U package, and certainly K12UCE should contain the full version of Maschine2. This will not change anything for entry-level users, while for power users - it will change everything.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3de6.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Agreed. Thats why I am holding off buying full MK3. The space footprint of the Mikro is perfect for my workspace.

15546573736742593510479559689401.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leif Hallberg

Leif Hallberg NI Product Owner

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I a 100% agree. Having some limitations is reasonable but lack of Controller Editor support is absolutely not imo, most of the cheapest/smallest controllers out there are fully customizable, especially since prior to these new controllers all Maschine controllers had this feature, people expect it.

For some reason, recently they started associating "small" with "newbie/hobbyist", pretty much: "If you're a power user than the smaller controller's arent for you" like power users dont need portability... Makes no sense at all to me to segregate or disregard a target audience like that, especially one with higher purchasing power.

I have no problem with a smaller library, I think that's fair and way better than having multiple software versions like DAW's do for example, but I agree with the fact that having to pay for it when you're an owner of K12U CE is a bit silly since it's the most expensive package so it should contain the library upgrade for Maschine users, seems fair.
    It's kind of surprising it's the first time I see this mentioned, maybe it's rare for users to have a small controller + K12U so they overlooked this...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

This is how I see it , n.i monitor how people use the software and controller with the app usage tool.
    And then use that information when developing new controllers etc .taking out what people don’t use.
    Maybe not enough people check that box in preferences
    I like my mikro it’s pretty cool if you already have jam and even better if you have a kk too, I sold my studio since I got one, which I really didn’t think I’d do
    You get the full library with jam , originally that was about 300 , so I think the mikro price with the smaller library is fair , especially for people on a budget.
    If you own komplete ucue do you really need the xtra content?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  6. klancyk

klancyk New Member

In the fact of removing the possibility of midi editing from the midi controller of the latest generation, I see nothing but maliciousness undergirded with greed. Want more - buy a bigger device. However, the effect of this short-sighted strategy may be such that I will buy a smaller but better controller - at AKAI.

• Like Like x 4
  7. AL’DREAD

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I really don’t think it was malicious intent, originally it had no midi mode , but the beta team got that changed, and we have pushed for ce support , so it may change in the future, but personally I’m not that bothered , I can use it in logic as a midi drum controller, tho I would like the pads to start at c3 instead of c1 , because if I input with the controller and then want to drag and drop it doesn’t work correctly, because I have to transpose 1 which affects the other . But I don’t use logic much tbh.

8. klancyk

klancyk New Member

The lack of a midi mode in the Mikro MK3 was simply pathetic, fortunately that their reason returned, but not entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  9. telecode101

What is it that you get with the Jam + Mikro functionality wise that you are finding it a better solution than a Maschine Studio? What kind of music do you mostly make? Are you using Battery with the Jam? Just curious.

10. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Agree with everything you said apart from paying extra for content. You want it you pay for it.

There are lot more issues with the software.

11. D-One

Even when he owns Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector's Edition? That's kind of supposed to contain the whole music creation product line a the time of release (apart from expansions) ... it's 1600$ :S

• Like Like x 4
  12. AL’DREAD

Well I got the studio probably about 5 years ago, and it got me into maschine, back then I had a Mac mini , so I had the studio and Mac , on a little tv unit on wheels, so I could move it from room to room, I could do most things from the studios screens and I had a iPad with duet display for them occasional things I couldn’t, then I got a kkmk2 so I had more screens , then jam for step sequencer and ideas view (tho I don’t use that much) last year I got a MacBook so I started using its screen more , then in Oct I got given a mikro mk3 .i was a bit pushed for desk space, and as you can’t use two 4x4 controllers , I boxed the studio up , put it on eBay but I didn’t get a good enough offer at the time , any how after using the mikro , jam and kk , I didn’t really miss the studio that much, I had the screens from the kk and I was using the laptop screen more , jam is a better step sequencer, plus you adjust the volume without going to mixer mode (kk has the mixer and browser on screen too)
    Jam also has a volume knob for , master and group level, which I use to use on the studio, the mikro has better pads and you can copy and paste, nudge etc with shift and pad
    You can double and duplicate from the jam and mikro , adding patterns and selecting scenes and group from jam made more and more of the studio redundant , the kk is more my centre piece, literally only use the mikro for some minor things that are missing from jam and kk but it’s good to have the 4x4 velocity sensitive pads . Maschine also improved its mouse features so doing more in the software with that is better since I got the studio, only thing missing from the controllers is sampling tho the mikro has some sampling features, but I tend to use the MacBook and mouse for that now especially since the audio module came out ,tho as kk now has a sampler, I’m hoping they add controller support for it , finally sold my studio a few weeks back , because it was just sitting there, if I didn’t have a kk it might be a different story, controlling plugins is better on the studio compared to mikro and jam and browsing and also the arrangement edit window .
    To me it had served it purpose and was old tech and I thought it’s only going to lose more value the longer I keep it . My soundcloud should be in my signature
    Here’s what my setup looks like
    8D369FE9-FC95-4C7E-BBF4-32271BAD95F3.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. telecode101

Hmm. I see, so it seems the jam is handy for making the patterns vs clicking on the Maschine screen. Thanks. I am still on my tried and true old Mac Mini. My work space and work flow is much more hap hazzard. I have cables, tools, and guitars and stuff all around me.

14. telecode101

On another forum theres a fellow who swears by battery saying its much better at making drum patters than maschine. thats why i ask. i only know maschine. (and my old BOSS Dr Rhythm Drum Machine -())

15. AL’DREAD

Yeah I kinda don’t see the point using it in maschine, if I was using a daw I probably would , my first drum maschine was a dr 660

16. AL’DREAD

It’s a good step sequencer, great for programming beats and adding different velocitys .it works with the looper a little different , adding scenes and patterns is cool because you haven’t got to go into the different states like with the studio,so it’s pretty instant, faders are ok for volume, I still prefer the knobs for more control but for quick access they’re cool , the performance fx are better with jam too
    And you can use the strips to kind of strum

Attached Files:

17. D-One

Yeah, I have a feeling that's why CE support isn't available for the new generation of smaller controllers, especially since the exact wording was "we are trying to establish if there's a real need for it".

Using those metrics to make decisions does make sense but can also give unrealistic results, someone who does live performance's or DJ's with a Maschine controller in the setup will only use some stuff when performing, which will be much rarer than the normal everyday production use... it doesn't mean the user needs the performance features any less. :S

That keyboard tho... :D:D:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AL’DREAD

Lol , I know it looks grimy but it’s dust and g smoke , it’s dusty I think cause I live by the sea, had it about 10 years,( I have cleaned it before tho) it’s probably the only thing that doesn’t get covered too , I actually cleaned it last night had a spring clean lol got so bad I couldn’t see the letters. # embarrassing
    And I agree with you on using them metrics to make decisions , a lot of people might not tick the box out of principle or may not even connect to the internet
    I give it another going over ;)
    57A3440F-FBDD-4A05-B11B-9DADA7CFCE34.jpeg

19. D-One

AHAHAH I remember the pain of having a white keyboard back in my iMac days, never again... too much work cleaning it every time someone came over. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. AL’DREAD

, that’s when I got mine with my iMac ,funny story when I brought my iMac had a bit of an argument in the shop because there was a sign saying free Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, they give me the iMac box and I was like where’s my free keyboard and mouse, they was like where’s it say that , I was like over there look , so they give me that keyboard but they would only give me a wired Mighty Mouse, because the sign said “Bluetooth keyboard and mouse “
    Got home and in the box was another Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse pmsl
    , I like it cause I don’t have to touch my MacBook too much and it’s mobile

• Funny Funny x 1