1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine MK3: Sleep mode to prevent LCD burn in?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by jete246, Oct 21, 2017.

1. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

I assume jete246 has already checked for available templates in Control Editor.

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

What does controller editor has to do with a hypothetical LCD burn in?

3. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

There may be a setting that will dim the lights after some time. I set a template for Maschine Jam so that the lights would permanently stay off.

4. D-One

There isn't.

5. trilbyt

trilbyt New Member

As I am using the Maschine Mk3 as my main audio interface at the moment, I think a screen timeout setting would be a good thing.

On the controller editor you can dim the screen and button brightness, then unplug the power. This way the screen is as dim as it can be and the audio interface still works.

6. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

So when the MK3 is switched off, the audio interface is also off? This means that if you're using the MK3 as main audio interface, it needs to be switched on all the time when you want to play any audio (like for example Youtube, SoundCloud, Spotify, ...)? That is just plain stupid design.

On my old Behringer mixer the built-in audio interface was always on, even when the mixer itself was switched off.

Note to self: Never buy an MK3.

7. trilbyt

trilbyt New Member

The only difference between the Maschine Mk3 and any other interface is that it has heaps of lights and a screen. They all need power to work. The Mk3 can run off USB and the settings button lets you get the the screen and pads brightness. If they just change the settings so they go to black it's all good.

Of course you can not buy a Mk3 if you want, but the advantages massively out-way this little inconvenience. Sitting on the couch with the laptop on batteries, closed and headphones plugged into the Mk3 is very cool. Low latency, loud volume, full screens.. it's pretty sweet.

8. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

burn in wil not be an issue, with the mk3, i think.
    but a "screensaver" isn't a bad idea.
    every screen will degrade over time, when the screens are not in use, because the backlight is on, and some of the lcd's (that beautiful message), and with contrast on a certain setting, i think, all lcd's are on in a way. it will the reduce the life-span of the screens. how dramatically? i do not know. but to be on the safe side is always the best. my MCU (old model) the led display will kompletely be dimmed, when not used by my DAW (or other programs).
    when i do not use the maschine mk3, i turned it off. also the jam, by the way (a "power switch" for every usb port is usefull..).

EDIT: by screensaver i mean powering down the screens, just as your computer screen.

9. D-One

You do have a point but...
    Even if there was an option to keep the built-in interface On when the controller is Off it would be super awkward to use because the main output knob is super small (half the size of a normal knob) and it's in the back of the unit, you have to reach back there and blindly find it everytime you want to adjust volume, the knob is slippery and you turn it counter-clockwise... you kind of have to test it to know how annoying it is to use regularly.

The Built-In MK3 Audio Interface is not a major selling point for the unit, it's a basic added bonus especially considering the controller is the same price as the Mk2 was on release. Buying an MK3 just because of the AI is buying it for the wrong reason imo.

Your old Behringer is probably a proper Audio Interface, with phantom power, XLR, Line/Instrument switches, dim/pad/attenuation, etc... While the MK3 AI is more along the lines of an Audio-2 shoved inside the controller for portability.

Screensavers were used before LCD was invented, it was meant for CRT monitors that had serious burn-in issues, that's a thing of the past and not at all an issue anymore. Some LCD TV's still have this issue but those are different from computer LCD's.
    LCD auto power off is mainly a laptop thing to save battery and not really relevant when plugged into a power outlet, I would hate for my screens to go black during a performance. I am not sure about Windows but on Mac one of the first steps to optimizing laptops for Performance is turning off every single power saving option, this alone invalidates any kind of auto power off feature.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Vater Unser

Vater Unser New Member

Still no option to turn off the screens or have a screensaver? Unplugging the AC adapter (if it's plugged in) will dim the LCDs, but I'm still not comfortable keeping it on all the time just to use the audio interface... Not a huge deal, but it shouldn't be too hard to implement a "Turn off display after X minutes" option...

• Like Like x 2
  11. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

I wouldn't worry up all n8ht
    For them that's the problem now we're too conservative about power so just let it ride out and it should be fine and to fix it later on I'm sure day use premium LCDs for this MK3

12. Stephen Bish

Stephen Bish NI Product Owner

I would like to see some sort of switching on the Mk3 for the screens and assume it could be done via a future firmware update. Maybe a combination of 2 buttons and the rotary knob. For me personally the built in audio was a Very big part of my decision to purchase. Not only for the usual portability and convenience, but for use live where Maschine in general is little more than an add on to my main performance, being guitar and vocals, as a solo performer. It is not my main audio interface, but for live use the most convenient, given I am already using one of my 2 USB ports on my Macbook for the Mk3. If I set up and sound check for a gig at 5pm, then play from 8- midnight, the screens are on for7 hours. I might use them here and there to set up some drum and Bass loops etc but as I said they are not my main focus. If an iPhone app (Onsong) can control DMX lighting changes and switch patches on my TC Halicon VL3X then I do not see there could be that much of an issue controlling the screens on a $600 (make that $900 Aust) midi controller.

13. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

The MK3 definitely gets burn-in. Does it deserve its own thread? Hate to be that dude. :oops:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any thoughts, Mick @ NI ? Only left it powered up for about 30h. Usually the gear and USB hubs get turned off via Philips Hue smart plugs, but PC was left on migrating SSDs to new ones, sat back down to this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. HammyHavoc

15. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

Hi Hammy, please get in touch with Support, they can help you with this!

• Like Like x 1
  16. HammyHavoc

Do you know how long the NI warranty is? The support wizard is asking me if I still have warranty and couldn't find my warranty info in the registered products area of my account.

17. Mick @ NI

I honestly had no idea, so had to check with support, legal warranty is 2 years, and 1 year in the US

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. HammyHavoc

Thanks for that! As a heads-up, the form asked me to rate the form from 1-3 stars, but didn't ask me why, but do please tell the support folks. Here's why: the form didn't tell me how long the warranties last, and it also didn't ask me the purchase date to be able to calculate the possible warranty length based on my location (which was asked for), which is absolutely what it should do.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mick @ NI

Good shout, forwarding this to the colleagues from Support, thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  20. D-One

I never noticed this in Maschine but have been noticing this recently in my LCD Monitor, according to my small research LCD's cant have burn-in (burn-in is permanent) but they can have 'image persistence' which is temporary, just out of curiosity did you leave your MK3 On for an unusual amount of time?