1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine+ Standalone

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ExactBeats, Sep 7, 2020.

1. T3beatz

T3beatz New Member

Cool, thanks. I guess I'll wait to see what "clips" can do for the arranger...lol I really hope the desktop software is better than the hardware software. If not they will have to handicap the desktop software so that the maschine+ can keep up.

2. eclipxe

eclipxe NI Product Owner

I don't think they are trying to save face - I think they had a unit shipped her way well before you called out NI for not supporting diverse creators. In fact, that's exactly what Mick from NI told you...

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

What doesn't make sense is where is it? It was released on a promise of 'song mode' and now we are getting close to something 'like that' it's unavailable and no positive indication that it will be usable with clips, possibly even the contrary.

If there is a Jam 2 waiting remarkably unheard of in the wings a lot of people are going to possibly be very unforgiving at having to buy a new controller to do the things its predecessor was promising to do in the first place. I think we'd all hoped that that kind of 'misstep' was firmly in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

I think a Jam MK2 would indeed leave a sour taste in the mouths of anyone who bought the MK1 and still wants what was promised, but at the same time, sometimes it's just not possible to deliver a satisfactory/functional experience with the existing hardware and layout, in a way that's not laborious or convoluted.

It's a difficult task: on the one hand, I'm gutted to see it seemingly killed off and I would like a successor, on the other hand I want what was promised on the Jam MK1, but if that's simply not possible and the MK2 would be a serious redesign that had several years of guaranteed longevity in terms of ongoing updates and refinement, I could get behind that, conceptually at least. The only way I can really see it being viable is replacing the grid of non-velocity sensitive pads with a touchscreen, but at that point you may as well replace the touch strips too, and if you're going to do that, you may as well just turn the Jam into an app that runs on tablets for $10 and have people use their existing hardware. There's a fine line with hardware. I'm a very big fan of the Jam's touch strips, it's in a unique position as a controller in that regard, I really wouldn't want to do without them, and likewise I'm a very big fan of the grid of pads for visualizing and manipulating a project. It adds so much to the MK3 experience, it's utterly bewildering why they wouldn't want that on the Maschine+.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bodhi Beats

Bodhi Beats NI Product Owner

An iMac. ;)

6. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

There is no Jam 2 waiting

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  7. HammyHavoc

Like a dagger through my heart! :eek::(

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

One major benefit though: fewer different control surfaces to support/develop should hopefully mean more directed progress with the current line of controllers and the software.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tempsperdu

+1 at least..... I'm somewhat flabbergasted. I hope there's something similar planned then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tempsperdu

Does this mean Jam is officially discontinued? :eek:

11. Mick @ NI

Dont take my post the wrong way, I just wanted to make sure that you know that we're not going to, all of a sudden, sell you a Jam 2 to go with Maschine+

Jam is still an awesome device, and I hope we bring something similar back in the future

But it's reliant on the screen overlays in the software, that is something that cant work in combination with Maschine+

• Like Like x 4
  12. Mick @ NI

I knew I should not have replied... :D I don't know if there is an official statement on that, but it's out of stock everywhere, that says enough I guess?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tempsperdu

Ah you knewded you wanted to really innit :D

Thanks for ahem 'clearing that up... Don't be surprised if Berlin doesn't drown in a deluge of Jam inspired tears..............:(:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. HammyHavoc

I don't know what to say, it's still sinking in. The Jam had a lot of innovation packed into it, it's a pity that it didn't sell better. Same goes for Kore. Business and art are frequently at odds with each other, and where tools are concerned for creating art, it's further complex. Mine's still going to get a lot of use, just disappointed it won't evolve any further.

In the same breath, does this also mean there's no successor to the Maschine Studio in the works? I'm not a Studio user, but I know a few people were holding out for a Studio MK2, and that's sold out and no longer listed on the NI website.

BTW, I'm really liking the new open NI; the straight answers to straight questions is like instant relief to know what's happening in terms of roadmap. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mick @ NI

Maschine+ is our new flagship product, so yes, that replaces the Maschine Studio. It does not replace Maschine MK3 though, we keep making controllers for people who are not interested in standalone devices :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Maybe a simplified versions, that would add the 64 pad grid and step sequencer , the quick access to 16 velocity levels, with a few actions like duplicate, double etc . Get rid of the faders , replace the knob and 4 arrow buttons with the 4d encoder.
    Something that doesn’t rely on overlays with the +
    A mikro jam

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tempsperdu

With a jog wheel :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Just add the 4 d encoder, to replace the arrow keys and volume knob

Maybe make the 4d encoder smaller like the mikro encoder

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. sqtk

sqtk New Member

Great idea.

NI should open MIDI mapping of Ideas view matrix/Patterns selection to external controllers like Launchpad or any type of grid based device.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

They could add a mikro screen too it , to replace the level meter , you wouldn’t need overlays for browsing etc then

• Like Like x 1