1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine Studio vs Ableton Push

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by digweedgr, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Scaper7

Scaper7 NI Product Owner

... this ...totally ...:)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

yep that's very similar to my experience.

i think maschine is great for sampling, sound design, and drum patterns. push is a great compositional tool. it's better for chords, progressions, melodies, stuff like that although much of what i like about push comes from third party scripts.

when it comes to support and tutorials ableton is pro and NI does as little as possible. NI does better marketing for sure.

3. PB21

PB21 NI Product Owner

Well mine (studio) arrives thursday so I see then how I fare with it. I must admit cakewalk do cheap video tutorials on their site and on many occasion purchased. I wonder why NI wont do the same a small charge but an excellent video. I recall seeing some videos when i got maschine mk1 that helped me a lot from NI site.

4. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

yep those videos with Josh were excellent, to the point and informative.

5. PB21

PB21 NI Product Owner

Well I wonder if NI read these ? so NI how about Josh doing some new videos with the studio?

6. theinvis

i dunno, seems like Josh fell into some abyss or something :(

7. PB21

PB21 NI Product Owner

I wonder if he still work there or maybe he has different role now, so lets wait and see what Native say. I believe in them they are nice people. I am confident they will reply.

8. theinvis

ok lets hold our breaths and no cheating.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Scaper7

Scaper7 NI Product Owner

:)

10. PB21

PB21 NI Product Owner

Eek it looks like native would watch us suffocate after all. Come on Josh it's been nearly 7 hours holding my breath, we will be in the Guinness book of world records, not quite the record we wanted.

11. Raketemensch

Raketemensch New Member

In the end, I went with the Push, and I have to say that I love the crap out of it. More deeply than I should love an instrument or any piece of technology. I've played the entire family of clarinets, 2 saxophones, guitar, bass, drums, mandolin and more, but you get the point -- I've played a lot of instruments in my life. I'm not bragging, I wish I could settle on one, but I think I finally have.

I'm not a beat builder. IMHO it seems like the Maschine is more beat-oriented, and the Push is more instrument-oriented (with scale mode). So the Push is a better fit for me. I have beat-oriented friends who prefer the Maschine. That seems to be the decision-maker.

12. theinvis

for me it's more loop oriented versus song oriented.

13. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Not sure that I agree with that statement, Ableton have made videos demonstrating the functions of Push, which is not quite the same as good tutorials.
    Example is the vid for the melodic step sequencer, which truly hides the limitations of that particular function.
    You normally have to rely on equipment end users to provide the good tutorials.

14. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

one huge advantage for push is that it can record jam sessions as songs. complete arrangents can be done on the fly from the controller in a single performance. if NI would add mute and solo recording that would be a major plus for maschine.

15. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

pretty good workflow

16. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

That is a good workflow. Of course you have to have all the sounds and kits ready to go. I know Idm pluck is a preset but all the others i haven't come across in the factory library, which suggests that quite a bit of prep work went into this "10 minute" track creation.

Still a pretty cool video, nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

This, plus it was convenient that both the bass and chord lines stayed within a 7 note range.

Having said that this was the video that influenced my Push purchase (should have spent some time on my son's Push prior to my purchase but when I go to see him I just want to play his V synth).

18. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

U used to have both, Push and Maschine mk1/ mk2/ studio

What I like about Maschine: The ergonomics are really good. The groups of buttons are well divided, with MK1/MK2 and Studio.
    Also the pads are very nice, I can make beats and grooves extraordinary fast.... but 1 have 2 problems with it.
    #1: the build quality... i don't like instruments that feel like plastic toys (knobs jump off from the Studio)
    #2: no clear song mode with Maschine...

What I like about Push: It feels less flashy (which is positive to me..... don't like a circus in front of me), has stronger build quality and ableton live has this amazing and well integrated arrangement view. Pads are good enough,
    What I have a problem with: The groups of buttons are not divided very well. For totally different groups, I make almost the same movements with my arms and body. It takes longer to learn the program and to create a perfect connection between my brain/spinal and my instrument.

So compare it with cars.... Maschine is like a Ferrari, but the road to take to create a full song asks for a Jeep, the Push...

I use Elektron gear right now. They are building overbridge, a VST support to connect analog sound with digital DAW environment. I think I will go for Push

19. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

Don't get me wrong, I really like Pushs workflow. I think the way the duplicate button works, for instance, is something that NI should adopt. And Lives software is much more advanced than Maschine (racks and lives macros are pure strokes of genius).

But where NI really outshines Ableton is with their presets. Push gives you access to Lives preset library while Maschine gives you access to Kompletes and Kompletes factory presets are far superior (not to mention Maschines factory kits, which I find far more useable than lives factory drum racks).

20. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

This video shows a way you can browse your NI plugin presets on the Push.

I must say, the sounds delivered with Ableton always annoyed me.... The sounds in Maschine need less to become good.
    but, i don't ned ableton sounds

• Like Like x 1