Bug Maschine V2 Multi Port MIDI Out (Windows)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mystic38, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

UPDATE: This bug, tested on my laptop this week, appears to have disappeared in current versions of win10 as for the first time in about 7 years, i can run more than one midi port from Maschine for a period longer than about 20mins...

After persisting from Maschine mk1 to Studio
    After persisting from Win 7 to Win 10
    After persisting across three separate PCs

A bug so central to the life purpose of a sequencer, that was not a bug, then ignored, then half assed workedaround, then ignored again and finally forgotten has finally given up and died of old age.

One single call from NI to Ableton, or Presonus, or Reason, or Cakewalk, or Steinberg, or any of the independent developers who provide the 10's of midi sequencers from free to $100's could have fixed this SEVEN YEARS AGO.

So..a Maschine bug on Windows platform that has been around for a couple of years (at least since 1.8) is still there........

Confirmed yet again this morning..I had a pattern running for some time to a Nova II, then enabled two other MIDI output ports and bingo... midi data froze in about 3 minutes...

I dont need workaround advice or any other apologies for ineptness at NI... A $999 unit with 3 MIDI ports is expected to be able to use them.

NI needs to FIX this.

EDIT UPDATE : BUG STILL IN 2.3

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Mystic38

• Like Like x 5
  3. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

sounds very italo

4. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

I have a lot to talk about this, was trying to fix it for a long time.. although so far haven't had it happen yet on 2.2! (fingers crossed - it was driving me mad - unlucky :p)

For the record I'm not on a Maschine Studio and this may be completely irrelevant to you! and I only have anecdotal observations here, but they may help you shed some light on things (I've tried everything and I have many more)

-I'm pretty sure I didn't get drop-outs for a good while after a fresh install of Windows 7
    -I seem to get more drop outs with lots of (or any) automation going to external synth
    -Used to happen on my x-station every so often, added a Supernova 2 and was getting it every 30 seconds to 20 minutes :|
    Could be coincidence you have a nova...?

I was going down the 'too much MIDI' route of fixing it. If that's even a thing. I've gone through loads of settings on the synths to try minimise anything being sent. Having 'controller filter On' on each parts on the supernova seemed to make it drop less, could never be 100% sure.

Other supernova settings: Prog change Tx Off, Controllers Tx On, Incoming program change Disabled, Incoming control change Enabled.

I'm sure you've tried all this or maybe even need some of those on, but after so much playing around and grasping onto anything I could I thought I'd share them anyway..

5. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

This is a known bug in Maschine. It only happens on Windows and only if more than one midi port is enabled in audio midi settings.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

They must have fixed it in 2.2 because I haven't had a drop out all night!

And yeah, it's a known bug, it's been driving me mad for long enough to know that :p but I'm pretty sure it can minimised, even cured completely

I don't think it was coincidence I got several happy months without it after a fresh install

7. Mystic38

no, its not fixed.. as is pretty clear from the thread title and the video...:)

8. andow

andow New Member

I haven't tried 2.2 yet, because there seem to be some new bugs, but if this hasn't been fixed my faith in NI is completely lost!

Sequencing external synths with maschine would be the way I sketch new ideas (just like I did with my MPC) but this bug is keeping me from it.
    It should be common sense for a programmer that bugs need to be fixed before even thinking about adding new features!

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

It's not just coincidence mine's working now :p Keep troubleshooting you'll find something... If there's a thread can you link it, let us know what you've tried, your set up etc

10. b-righteous

And you have more than one midi port enabled in audio midi settings?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mystic38

given i and others have waited over 2 years for a fix, making a :p here is pretty lame....but thanks ;),

This bug happens to multiple people.
    This bug happens with multiple (read different, synths)
    This bug happens on different computers.
    This bug happens with different midi interfaces.
    This bug happens regardless of which Maschine controller is used.
    This bug happens regardless of the amount of midi data in a pattern

This bug ONLY occurs on windows platform
    This bug ONLY occurs when multiple midi out ports are selected.

So.. as every variable is taken into consideration, ..just exactly what "troubleshooting" would you suggest?.. (note that this is a rhetorical question and i am not looking for your suggestions)

feel free to search the forum for threads and more reports on this. as B-R indicates, NI is well aware of this bug... and we have been waiting a fix through 1.8.x, 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.x and now 2.2

• Like Like x 3
  12. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Thought I would post on this as it may be of interest. On my setup I am not seeing this problem.

I am on a PC with a Mk2 controller. I can have multiple midi output ports selected and sequence midi data from Maschine to my keyboard via USB to one channel/s and via Maschine's midi output to a second channel/s (my keyboard has two sets of 16 midi channels so appears as two instruments to the sequencer). I can run patterns all day long with no problems using either 1.8 or 2.2 software.

Maybe people experiencing problems could try USB midi (USB to midi cables are cheap enough).

13. b-righteous

Interesting. Likely something unique about your USB keyboard driver. Could be the issue does not affect certain USB midi input devices. USB devices can use one of two APIs for midi under Windows. Also, some deal with time stamps differently which I believe is the crux of the issue. What keyboard do you have btw?

Also, I have not tested this since 2.2 so I wonder if there is some change in the new CE that will help with this?
    Edit: I take that back. Just tried and the bug is still there. Dropped the midi after about 3 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  14. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

I have a Yamaha CVP305. I no longer have any other hardware instruments and I honestly can't remember if I ever used Maschine to sequence my previous hardware. Possibly not as I mainly work in Live.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. b3nj174

b3nj174 New Member

I fixed this issue, bought a 2.3 i7 Mac Mini :D

• Like Like x 2
  16. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

I think I might have just fixed this on my system. All it took was disabling the Maschine Mikro in MIDI Out. Might not help for external hardware users, as I'm only using LoopBe Virtual MIDI ports to control tracks in Reaper. So to clarify, I've got one MIDI Input (MicroKorg) enabled, and 5 Virtual MIDI ports enabled (no hardware outs). Running standalone to control plugins in Reaper. So far so good...

EDIT: Spoke too soon. It took longer to manifest, but it's still there. Multiple MIDI port routing was the only good reason to upgrade to v2 and apparently it's useless on Windows...

Win7 x64
    MaschineMikro MK1, Software 2.2

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  17. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

New update today. Problem still not fixed.

18. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Not sure if any of you who are experiencing suffering this issue really need to be able to use multiple physical MIDI ports, but one way around it is to use something like MIDI-OX or Bome's MIDI Translator or even another DAW as a virtual MIDI hub and just enable one (virtual) MIDI output port from Maschine to that and then let that deal with the routing to multiple physical ports. Bit of effort to set it up and a PITA that you have to, but it's one workaround.
    Main limitation: only the 16 MIDI channels of the original port, which may or may not be enough for you.

19. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

That's my whole reason for needing multiple ports. I'm getting by with 16 for now, but the whole reason I upgraded to 2.0 was for this feature which apparently only works on Mac.

And it's not just physical MIDI ports causing this. Multiple virtual MIDI ports does too. Works for a little while and then one or more ports stop sending data. Also, routing through ox or bome's introduces extra latency that may not be automatically compensated for. It's lame how long this known bug has gone unfixed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Since 1.8?

Wow..

Happy birthday thread 6 months old today (maybe).

• Informative Informative x 1