1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Bug Maschine V2 Multi Port MIDI Out (Windows)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mystic38, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

You must not have read the first post. I clearly stated that those many folks with this long standing bug do not need workaround advice nor excuses for NI with this bug. It simply needs ongoing attention so that it will be fixed.

We are all aware that there are restrictive and inconvenient workarounds as one port of 16 channels can be used and be reliable, but it shows a marked lack of concern for other users to suggest that nobody needs more than that, or suggest that in some way it is unreasonable for someone to actually expect the three midi ports on the studio to work..and actually pass midi data.

and yes, the bug is still there in 2.3..

So, If you have Windows, then you are in a position to comment and possibly contribute to this thread, but if not, then feel free to browse other threads.

fwiw, the sole reason I have spent little time in this forum over the last 6 months is 100% because of this bug...so excuse me if i sound a little tiffed at your post.

2. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

It was very clear Mr36 was not trying to dismiss the issue or make an excuses for NI. Only offering a workaround for any that could benefit from it. Just because you are not interested in the workaround does not mean someone else won't benefit from it. For instance anyone with multiple devices they want to address but don't need more than 16 channels going all at once, which I imagine will be the majority.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  3. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

As @b-righteous said, my post was not to dismiss this bug, but to provide a workaround that some people running into it might not know about in the time being until NI fix it.
    I, too, am a Windows user and this has bothered me before (mainly with multiple virtual ports), so I understand your anguish, but I can fortunately get round it as I don't need more than 16 MIDI channels. As I said at the end though, this may or may not be enough for you.

Although this is of course something NI should be addressing and should not be something users have to work around (certainly it's reasonable to expect things to work as advertised), I have also read that this is a Windows bug as opposed to just an NI/Maschine one, which leads me to ask... Has anyone struggling with this bug contacted NI directly about it? If so, what did they say?

4. Mystic38

The workaround for this is well known, and has been covered at length in multiple threads over the last couple of years, however that is only a workaround for some people...and that was not the topic here.

The original post has explicitly stated this thread was not about workarounds and tbh, i suspect that any member who uses a DIN MIDI connection is already fully aware of ports and channels assignments so knows that one port will give 16 channels and can be distributed in a number of ways. This assumes that a one port/16ch limit is adequate and that they are also willing to potentially rewire and reset all channel assignment for their synths... Whether that is an acceptable workaround is for the individual to determine (not someone else)... in my case, i need one full port simply to use the Virus, or I lose the Virus Control...therefore 2 synths requires 2 ports minimum..

FWIW, In any normal music studio project i typically use 3 USB connections comprising 6 midi ports plus 2 or 3 (occasionally 5-6) additional DIN midi ports... The latter was the major reason i purchased the NI Studio.

In addition, my prior post included an advance apology to Mr 36, however someone posting a doubt that i need a certain number of ports or channels is just an inappropriate comment given the crippling nature of this bug.

5. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

As it seemed that those who this bug actually affects have not done so, I contacted NI directly about this and they provided the following registry fix (and permission to share it here).

I take absolutely no responsibility for any adverse effects this may have on your system. Or if you don't like your projects any more when MIDI out works. :p

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

It's worth noting that that tradeoff for disabling time-stamping is increased MIDI jitter, to minimise this you will be wanting to run as small an audio buffer as possible.

7. 44FORGE

44FORGE Forum Member

Wow a "fix" (if disabling time stamp can be called so)! Nice I will try that!
    By the way I did called the NI support for tracktor and DJ tools, as well as the "other windows devices" support. I have been in line as 1st caller for 20 min each and gave up. I emailed but still have no reply. I experienced my difficulties with the U.S. support earlier already. I guess I call Germany next time (glad to speak the language) I would have contacted them earlier but was not aware that this is a bug until yesterday. Days lost trying to make it work and assuming I am doing something wrong since the odds are that if you buy such an expensive unit you assume all midi outs work.
    Same boat here with the limitations of the workaround. Got the virus as well and besides that I have the electribe2 which needs all 16 channels. The old EMX needs another 6. Not even starting to talk about the ESX which I plan on selling and not even talking about the Yamaha an1x. And that is just the true hardware and I haven't even started to wire software.
    I bought machine studio because it's meant to be the center piece of the studio (I have heard)... Now I have to use my MacBook and ableton just to make it work? Come on....
    Ps I had just right now only one output enabled and only the electribe2 running. Worked full 5 min until it crapped up again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. 44FORGE

44FORGE Forum Member

Question though, I opened the reg key and it's not just the simple "true" or "false" tag. So how to revert it if needed? Just find and delete the key in the registry?
    Thanks for sharing Mr 36

9. 44FORGE

44FORGE Forum Member

Oh boy finally!!! It seems to do the trick for me! Have only played patterns from maschine to both EMX and electribe2 yet and haven't made my own yet so I couldn't tell if there is jitter but both synths run smoothly now triggered from maschine since an hour and both seem tight too! Thanks again Mr 36 image.jpg

10. lethal_pizzle

Good question.

Epic setup, glad it's working

11. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Backup your registry before doing it (which might be too late now). I'll ask if NI can provide an "enable timestamp" registry fix to revert this.

12. Mystic38

1. this bug is over two years old. When i first came to the forum and asked I was informed it was a "well known bug" and so why would i think to contact NI?..it is a reasonable assumption that this is already in hand.
    2. FYI and contrary to what you think, I had contacted NI, but had not received a reply until well after you posted in this thread.
    3. When just recently I did get a reply, it was that this is a WORKAROUND and NOT a fix.
    4. If this WORKAROUND is so well known (according to you), why is this not addressed, directly by NI as a FAQ and made available to the public?
    5. There is ZERO chance that I will enable a workaround that screws with my midi timing on my primary studio system (that generates income) however as I have maschine on 2 systems I may try it there... As this is a WORKAROUND, I do not view this bug as being fixed.
    6. Making any inference that anyone is happy about such a catastrophic bug is insulting - grow up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lethal_pizzle

Aren't Windows rejigging MIDI for Windows 10? Maybe they'll have fixed their timestamping support

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I think there are a few crossed wires and some unnecessary bad blood here...
    I apologise for inadvertently causing offence or getting your goat or whatever. I was genuinely just trying to help other users who suffer from this bug. It is not a bug fix and I did not mean it to sound like one. It's just a WORKAROUND (as you say) that will fix the problem for some users (who may not notice, care about, or be affected by the lack of MIDI timestamp and its side effects) or fix this problem but create another. If I made it sound like this workaround was well-known (re: point #4), that was not my intention either. All my intentions in this thread was to provide a way around something that I/we as users cannot fix or change. As I said previously, it might be good for some, but won't be the answer for everyone.

In case this still isn't clear, this BUG still needs to be addressed by the actual software and/or Windows, I don't and never have disputed that.

Regarding point #1, even if a bug or other issue appears to be well known on the forum, if it affects me, I still contact NI directly because I don't trust these forums for an official response about anything much. It just seemed that no-one had contacted them directly about this to see what they had to say. I did ask previously in the thread and neither you or anyone else said they had contacted NI, so it was reasonable to think no-one had.

And I'm not sure what you mean by #6. I don't think anyone is happy about this or other bugs (though some might be happy to work around it until it's fixed). I can't help but think there's just often a misunderstanding of my tone or even what I'm actually saying (perhaps if you're skim reading) when you read my posts. I might try to joke and even be sarcastic sometimes, certainly I'll disagree with posts if there's valid ground, but nothing to warrant needing to do the dreaded growing up! :eek:

Anyway, back to the thread: the workaround temporary semi-fix-but-not-really-a-fix supplied by NI might do the job for some users, but might just cause other issues for others. Use with caution.

15. J K

J K Active Member

Hi there.
    I also have this "bug" on my Win7 with maschine 2.3 standalone.
    As soon as I do more on the machine than just knobbing and have two or more MIDI-interfaces connected they will stop sending midi-data until the maschine-SW is restarted.
    Clean install doesn't help (took me 2 days..)

Guess I'll go for a midi-thru-box instead of waiting for a fix. Even if win10 solves it, i wouldn't recommened using it before certain software is updated and bugs are fixed

16. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

It's def a Maschine bug otherwise all other software with similar functionality would have the same problem.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Hang on you gave them a link to this thread which has a video and multiple users complaining about the same thing, and they are still saying not enough info - you gotta be kidding me!!

NI did you actually read this thread??

EDIT - OK you sent them a link to another thread, send them one to this thread!! Tell them about the video... cheers..

18. 44FORGE

44FORGE Forum Member

Just looked up the midi thru box and found out that I own 2 of it along with 2 midi merge boxes. This would not work for me (if the output is limited to one midi out) since I need more then 16 channels. Electribe2 has 16 pads with one channel each. Then there is more to hook up...

19. 44FORGE

44FORGE Forum Member

Just realized that the MacBook's maschine software may not be up to date and may be the reason that I get the error trying to load the project. I will verify that another day though (and it really doesn't belong in this thread anyway)

20. 44FORGE

44FORGE Forum Member

This would indeed be interesting! But then, as new as win10 is it may cause other problems and take some time until maschine's software is fully compatible