Solved Maschine with Groove Agent

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by loopman, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:18 AM.

1. loopman

loopman NI Product Owner

Hello guys,
    can anyone recommend me the best way to configure my Maschine MK3 with Steinberg Groove Agent 4 (SE)?

Thanks

2. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

you mean using maschine purely as the controller?

3. loopman

loopman NI Product Owner

Yes ( for now..)

4. THE WIDOWMAKER

the pads simply respond to midi note numbers, the maschine midi mode works perfect

just set up the midi input in cubase instrument track and start bashing pads, works perfect in my experience, no configuration needed

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

What he said. I might add that with the default Controller Editor template you have select Group C, because thats the octave range Groove Agent expects by default (C1 to D#2).
    If you want to assign the knobs just right-click one in Groove Agent, select "Learn" and twist a knob on the MK3, done.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 4:19 PM
  6. THE WIDOWMAKER

yes true, the octaves are waaaaay down there :eek:

I LOVE GROOVE AGENT

7. loopman

loopman NI Product Owner

Yes. I could also do the same thing ( lowering the octaves) directly on my Mashine MK3
    Ok, now I see the Controller Editor template where I have to select the Group C to have the hardware starting from the C1,
    well, my questions : should I set it ( the Group C) before to open Cubase? After setting the Controller Editor, should I have to keep it open while I'm in Cubase?

Thanks

8. loopman

loopman NI Product Owner

my other spontaneous question;) is now:
    is there anyone who has also tried to set Maschine to control other Groove Agent functions? Such as start, play or stop?

9. D-One

You just press the C group pad... you don't need to go to controller editor at all or have it open.
    If you want you can just delete Groups/Pages A and B and save the template.

You can set Maschine to Control the Cubase transport, for groove agent I don't know, those buttons don't seem mapable but they could use a specific MIDI input to start/stop.

10. loopman

loopman NI Product Owner

How can I set Maschine to have it controlling Cubase transport and Group pages sending Midi notes to Groove Agent ?
    Thanks

11. D-One

12. loopman

loopman NI Product Owner

I've followed your instructions, but in that way I'm only able to have the transport in Cubase but not sending the midi notes too, what am I missing?
    I don't understand, it works one or the other function, but not both together
    On the Controller Editor, if I select the " Mackie Control " option with Host Transport Control activated, then I haven't the Pads sending notes anymore

13. THE WIDOWMAKER

why not set up as generic and map what you want to where you want? bit longer but way more personal

i ignore Mackie mode

14. D-One

My bad, I forgot the Mackie template has no pre-made Pad Page.The full Mackie template for an MK3 might be bit too much to deal with if you're starting out since it's designed to also control the DAW's mixer and a bunch of stuff you might not need for now.

You can use the "MCU Transport" template which is much simpler and just add a Pad Page and Knob Page, I made one for you real quick. When you get a better understanding of how MIDI works you can add more pages to control different things. It works for both transport and triggering Groove Agent.
    Download below, load it in Controller Editor, activate "Host Transport Control".

Attached Files:

15. loopman

loopman NI Product Owner

Great, now it works!
    Thanks!