Mixing Trance and Smooth Transitions

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by joemann002, Apr 4, 2013.

1. joemann002

joemann002 New Member

I'd like to get some feedback from those that mix trance music using Traktor Pro (or other software for that matter) how do you do your transitions from one track to next?

Do you use channel faders only or X-fader?

Do you kill the bass on one and bring it in the other?

Typically at what point on the track that is playing do you bring in the next track? With trance usually there is buildup, then breakdown, and then it will build again. Do you cue in the next track right after the 2nd build up again and bring it's volume all the way in at the 64 bar where you cut the bass off first tracking and up the bass on new track?

If you give some feedback and pointers on what you to make smooth transitions from one track to next that would be helpful.

2. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

Practise makes a smooth transition.. all tracks are different even trance tracks.... experiment with blending EQ's and don't be too hasty to get the next track in... use of filters to smooth the mix is also a good idea... most of all learn your own style and what works for you... but using the channel faders to mix is probably the way to learn that would be most useful to you.
    Learning is the fun part... you'll surprise yourself.... enjoy..!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZC89sa4rY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk0WXzo-xbc[/ame]

3. rjrrmjet

rjrrmjet NI Product Owner

Channel faders and eq. Haven't used a crossfader in about 11 or 12 years...

4. kieranbowley

kieranbowley Forum Member

How to mix trance properly ;)

https://soundcloud.com/k_b/kb-clubbers-trance-to-guide

The way I mix my trance is to take note of the time that the bass kicks in on the incoming track. normally between 0:55 and 1:02 depending on track BPM.

Then start the track off on the final build up or drop of the playing tune. normally with between 1:50 and 1:30 left to play on the tune.

I swap the bass over with the low EQ when the bass comes in on the tune you are bringing in. Then gradually take out the mid and the high.

Sometimes this method will totally not work and you just need to cut the outgoing tune when the bass comes in, I normally slowly swap the bass low over in each tune before this happens in preparation for the cut.

Hope this makes sense, please listen to my mix above for examples of all of what I have said above and practice to get lovely smooth transitions with all types of trance and house music :D

KB!

5. fr3ud91

fr3ud91 New Member

There isn't only one way to play music, pratice a lot and especially listen to great dj's mixes !

6. morior

morior NI Product Owner

As has been said before its all about practice and feel, but one thing that would help you make sure you get things aligning properly is to set some cue points, for instance you could set a load cue point, or set a cue point when the main beat/theme kicks in, that way you have the flexibility to jump to the drop on one track at any time during the outro of the previous track. Of course musicality is key, you dont want to be jumping to a cue while its half way through a synth swell etc. But Cues are great for giving you the flexibility to mould the music as it plays.

7. oldgit

oldgit NI Product Owner

Take some treble out as well as bass if there are a lot of Hi-hats in the outgoing track

8. no0od13s

no0od13s New Member

Trance is made with measures of 16 bars regardless of subgenre (progressive, uplifting, trouse, etc). Line up the crashes, press play when outro starts, kill bass on incoming track, push volume fader up, right before the next crash kill bass on outgoing track and bring in bass on incoming track (do this quickly), then either slowly fade the track out or quickly turn the volume down.

ezpz

9. Minkeymusic

Minkeymusic New Member

Take a look at the dj mixes @ djsounds.com he camera is on the mixer so you can see how ie carl cox does it, claude vonstroke etc