mixing vocals with a already mixed beat....

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AxMusic, Sep 13, 2019.

1. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

so to try and improve my mixing a had a friend of mine send me a couple of his beat/ vocals they came as separate files a vocal track (raw)
    and an already mixed beat...
    i put them both through nectar 3 by isotope and relay to make a pocket for the vocals on the beat that helped a lot, but it still sounds like separate tracks...
    so i added a compressed to the output to try and glue em together. it sounds better, but not as polished as i'd like..

any advice?

this is the video i used as a guide

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2019
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Results will never be perfect without all the trackouts, that's just how it is especially if you are particular about things but it's quite common in Rap.
    My only advice is to try match things related to the ambiance, space, and color, like reverbs, saturation etc just so it sounds like both the beat and vocals are in the same space. You can also try Mid/Side processing on the beat to make things match a bit more. That tutorial is pretty good overall, I would only avoid that last step where the beat is ducking the vocals if it's a high energy song but that's highly subjective.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

thanks
    so you're saying throwing a mid/side eq onto the beat would help...

4. D-One

Yeah, EQ, Compressors, anything you can think of... It can help if the beat is not already too heavily processed.

5. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

with an eq for example how would i go about doing that?......
    i know it must vary based on the type of beat, and tone of voice but any info in the right direction would be much appreciated

6. D-One

It really depends on the material, mid/side has the advantage of affecting some instruments more than others depending on how things are panned on the beat so you have a bit more control than with a regular eq that affects everything at once, let's say the sub/808 is too loud, you can control it with mid because sub is generally mono (or at least should be in theory) without affecting the sides. It's used more in a mastering scenario but given your circumstances, it can be useful if you feel like the beat could be more balanced or if something is competing too much with the vocals.

I wouldn't overthink it tho, this sort of thing requires experience and imo it's better to keep it simple than trying too many many techniques you're not comfortable with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

thanks for the info man :thumbsup:

8. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Did you play with the reverb on vocals ?
    You could also try to Increase the width on the beat above 700hz/1khz to make room for the vocal

9. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Hello,

i had good results with tdr nova on the music in sum (mid) mode set to a wide band in the mid frequencies to lower them if the voice is present, so like D already said mid side compression bnut even better cause tdr nova only effects the mids where you need room for the voice, that way you don´t loose the bassdrum for example. TDR plugins are awesome!!

Uwe

• Like Like x 1