1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Need feedback on ppls Volume / Threshold levels

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by RhysPatto, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhysPatto

RhysPatto NI Product Owner

Hey guys,

I just got myself a new Highway One Tele, and it sounded great in the shop, but doesn't quite have the punch when playing through my rig. I have notice a few things...

First, normal my Input volume sits at around +1db (just past 12 oclock) and Noise Threshold at -41db (1 / 2 oclock), but with the Tele the input level seems like it should sit higher, but, 1, the noise is noticable, and 2, I get a very weird sharp noise at the end of any notes I play when i'm using a high-gain patch.

I have a very cheap Behringer UCG102 usb connection for GR3, but have also tested with the MAudio JamLab. The JamLab fixes the sharp notes problem, but still has too much noise and doesn't quite bring the full Tele sound across.

Can ppl please please recommend some good 3rd party audio interfaces with low noise levels, etc? Preferably usb and portable, and seeings I'm just a lone-guitarist, an minimal amount of ports.

Also, could ppl enlighten me on there Input/Threshold levels, and if anyone has issues with noise, etc.

Thanks guys, i want to fully utilize my new toy but its just not workin for me

2. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Well, Telecasters do have single coil pickups in the neck and those pickups, by their nature do have lower output levels. I think you're seeing that here.

3. RhysPatto

Thanks marc. Yeah i figured that, compared to my bridge/neck humbuckers on my old guitar.

But more to the point is the computer hardware and GR3 levels i'm concerned / asking about

4. JayT

JayT NI Product Owner

I normally play a tele. But I was using a gorgeous 335 on loan, and had to readjust all my levels. It was a bit strange at first. I couldn't figure out why I was coming in to the Rig Kontrol so bloody hot.

5. RhysPatto

Ah right.

Does anyone have many issues / resolutions with my noise issue (this isn't directly related to my new Tele, but audio interfaces)

I'm willing to spend enough money for the right usb minimal-port audio interface (thats hopefully easily portable)

6. JayT

JayT NI Product Owner

Will shielding help at all? I know nothing about it, but I had an old Tokai Les Paul shielded and the pickups made hotter, and it sounded great.

7. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

How is your guitar through a normal amp, you getting good levels?

8. RhysPatto

Yeah the levels are fine through guitar amps. Its just the unwanted noise, sure i can hear there is a little from the Tele (when i roll the volume pot SOME of the noise cuts out) but still a bit elsewhere, I assume its the audio interface and looking for some higher quality i guess.

I played through a standard guitar amp the other day for the first time in a looong time, and forgot how quiet and crisp it sounds compared to my GR3 setup.

9. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I do hate to say that you can't and shouldn't compare Guitar Rig with the interfaces you're using. They are a great start, but a better audio interface will have clear advantages sonically.

10. RhysPatto

Yeah I completely understand Marc. I have faith in GR3, and amp modelling in general, but I just need to be pointed in the right direction for the best sound i can get. And atm I think thats a proper interface, but a don't want to splurge some cash into a product that isn't much better than where I am atm

11. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

It's a combination of the impedance of the input and the amount of gain.
    Do you know anyone near you who can lend you a better interface to try?

12. RhysPatto

Not really, I'm the only tech-sorta guitarist I know. I managed to try it on a MBox (few years old version, not sure the exact type) and it was better sounding, still had some noise (this was with my old guitar tho)

I might head into the music shops tomorrow and see if there is any way of checking out interfaces....

13. iamdave

iamdave Forum Member

Why not just use the GR foot controller interface?

Dave

14. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I think it's a matter of cost in this case.

15. JayT

JayT NI Product Owner

I was using an old Edirol USB interface for a long time. And my guitar sounds were ok at best.

I saved up my loot as much as I could and bought the Audio Kontrol 1. The next purchase a few months later was a Studio Projects pre-amp. The guitar tones I started getting blew my mind.

You wouldn't believe what having the right gear can do for you when it comes to recording.

Just count the pennies and keep your eyes on one thing, and don't let the fancy stuff that comes out in the mean time dissuade you!

16. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Yes, things are expensive for a reason...

17. RhysPatto

I didn't end up checking out interfaces, but i asked around and a friend of a friend had a Line6 TonePort GX that they didn't use anymore. I've been using it, and it works pretty well, it has *less* noise, and doesn't have the weird sharp noises my Behringer was doing. I'll use it for now because its small and portable so until I do some proper recording, i'll get by.

But what I thought I'd mention is the software the TonePort comes with. The Gearbox. Sure the amps and effects don't sound as good as GR3, but I was quite impressed by the Hum Reducer function the software has. Unlike GR3's Noise Threshold, this seems to make a profile of noise from the guitar/interface and cancels it out MUCH better. It reminded me of the Noise Profile / Cancellation in Adobe Audition, and to have this implemented into GR3 would be fantastic.

I sure hope there is plans for Noise Profiles in upcoming GRs. :)

18. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I will pass on your suggestion to NI.

19. RhysPatto

Thanks Marc, I think it would work great. I also noting it in the Features Request section.

From what I understand, Noise Profiling will read a current section of sound, and sort of add a bunch of different Noise Reductions over a series of different frequencies, to get a less noticeable but much better result.

I'm actually going to try some tests with GR3 using some Crossover Mixes and a bunch of Noise Reductions and see how that goes, but none the less, sounds like a promising feature.
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.