need help getting started with Reaktor

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by LowPass, Aug 8, 2014.

1. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

So I have started looking into getting into building synths and stuff with reactor, theres a few customised tools I would like for my set-up and I'm thinking reactor might be a good place to make them. its that or lean how to script in Kontakt.

Anyway I been digging into reactor to see if its something that will help me or even to see if its something that I might be able to learn.

So yeah si far I learned how to link instruments together and on a basic level link some macros together. but anything beyond that I do not have a clue about.

so event processing and maths are going completely over my head. I have watched a few tutorials on the net and stuff like that, but many go over the maths under the assumption that person watching understands what they are on about. which sadly I do not.

So I'm wondering is it a prerequisite with reactor that you already now how to program a synth and are fully versed in the maths and signal flow logic etc?

or is it something that can be learned?

So yeah looking for advice on how to gt going really, is there a good book or something I can get. or what would be a good way to get going?

I have a good knowledge of syntheses so know what end results I'm after and what component parts I need and in what order, I just don't know how to effectively loin them together and do the subtle things like have no LFO that you can choose its destination. that sort of thing.

cheers for any help

2. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

3. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

Thanks for the link, as it happens I have been working through it. And I was doing fine until the tempo sync for the LFO. That went streight over my head.

It is a good tutorial though. I purchased the masterclas as well. But again I'm not grasping the maths and events.

4. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

in my opinion in the math world, you have two options - really learn it and understand it, or just accept that stuff works, in which case you don't really need to understand very much to implement it...

for example, if i told you the way to translate a frequency (hz, or cycles per second) into seconds (IE the length of a single cycle in seconds) was to take 1/x, where x is the frequency you want to translate into seconds, this is extremely easy to implement (using a reciprocal module). you don't really need to understand WHY things are that way in order to use the knowledge.

events are probably the hardest thing to learn in reaktor. if you have any specific questions just ask.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

Cool thanks. I guess I'm more in the happy to just do it without thinking camp.

I just need to some how get my head round how reaktor want to be spoken to.

It's like I know what i want it to do, I just don't know how to tell it what I want

And it seems to do things back words to how I think it would work

6. MystMysterium

MystMysterium New Member

One of the thinks that helped me understand the reactor class was MOOC I took called "Introduction to sound design". Without a lot of math, it basically explained how you modify timbre when you use an lfo to control the filter, tremolo when you control the amp, and etc. So now, I feel that when I see a knob on a synthesizer, I at least can turn it with some expectation of what it will do.

By no means can I do more than some of the simple stuff in the tutorials, but understanding is now better. I felt like I was putting pieces together with no real knowledge of "what for".

MOOC = Mega Open Online Course (free) and I took my course thru coursera.org.

Now if only someone would create a "Subtractor" ensemble for Reaktor ;)

Peace,

Myst

7. Big Gnome

Big Gnome NI Product Owner

8. MystMysterium

MystMysterium New Member

Big Gnone,

Thank you so very much for posting this. I am not sure why I never found it before. Subtractor was used in the course to show us how some of the modulation worked. I wanted this to help with that endeavor. This is awesome.

Peace be with you and yours,

Myst