Nektarine and Komplete Kontrol

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by thePostman, May 16, 2019.

1. thePostman

thePostman NI Product Owner

So there is a new kid in town: Nektarine. It comes with the Panorama T series (and will be available for the P series somewhere in the future as well). It is not as fancy as the Komplete Kontrol software with all its nice pictures en leds above keys. But I couldn't resist to buy one, because it has some features that KK is really missing currently. And the one feature that stands out for me, is:

Control page browsing and short-cut keys

Komplete Kontrol is fine for browsing sounds. But it is not very useful for editing sounds. Why? Because scrolling through let's say 16 pages with up and down arrows isn't very inspiring. With Nektarine you can browse through the pages using a dial, while seeing the page names, which is already much faster. But 8 dedicated short-cut buttons work really well: press Env and you are on the envelope pages, press osc1 and your on the oscillator pages, and so on. Suddenly editing a soft-synth becomes much more natural and a really nice experience.

I wouldn't say Nektarine is as mature as Komplete Kontrol, ....yet. For instance, I have some issues with controlling some type of knobs from Reaktor instruments within Nektarine. Also some plug-ins can be controlled just fine, but the presets cannot be saved to the database of Nektarine. But I do like the concept much better than the current Komplete Kontrol, because Komplete Kontrol is really lacking in, well, the kontrol of plug-ins.

Currently I combine the two: Komplete Kontrol for its maturity, and Nektarine for real control.

PS: Nektarine is not dividing the patch database into factory and users patches. What a relief. That is a second winner. I have never understood why one would like to have to search two different databases. I didn't like it in Kore and still do not like it in Komplete Kontrol. I am always copying all factory sounds to the user library, so I can find at least all my sounds at one place instead of having to search two databases.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Does it also control fx?

3. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Also, like KK, Nektarine doesnt integrate with some DAWS as it should. Sticking with my KK s mk2 as does everything that I want.

4. nightjar

nightjar New Member

This will change in a BIG way next week for Studio One. Nektarine will become very well integrated very soon. Check out this video from Superbooth trade show last week:

5. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Still doesnt integrate fully with some other DAWS, Nektar have only supported some DAWS and not others, same as NI with KK, certainly wont get me to 'downgrade' to Nektarine.

6. thePostman

I am not that much interested for the integration with DAWS, I am more a player, using Mainstage. And so far the experience with 'non supported' DAWS is better with Nektarine. The reason why? It has a smart shortcut to select the active Nektarine plug-in. Just hold the shift button and press a key. This is so much better than opening an overview of all instances and try to find out which one is active. Especially on stage.

Concerning effects plug-ins: this is currently not supported within Nektarine. So this is an advantage of KK over Nektarine. However, Nektarine already supports multis: stacking multiple instrument plugins. This is still a bit simple implementation: just straight stacking. But it seems a logical development to add effects as well.

7. thePostman

By the way, using Nektarine and Panorama T6 doesn't feel like a downgrade (vs KKS 61 mk1), but rather an upgrade in many ways. I almost completely stopped using KK since I have Nektarine. The possibility to do everything, from loading plug-ins, browse sounds and set the filters up to creating stacks and controlling the synths, just from the controller without even looking to the computer, is a very nice experience. I also like having sliders alongside rotaries much better. Somehow controlling a B3 plugin with 9 sliders does a better job than 8 encoders.

The only problem for me currently with Nektarine is that I am not able to save Arturia patches within Nektarine, eventhough they are all already pre- mapped, so controlling them is not a problem at all.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  8. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

Hoping nektarine gets updated for my panorama p4

9. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

I lookd at the P4 and the P1. before I got the S61 Mk2, but in Ableton they are just standard Midi controllers

10. thePostman

It is of course very important whether you use the controller mainly for controlling the DAW or the plug-in. For me it is mainly about plug-in control. That's also why I did not try the MK2 version of Komplete Kontrol S. The new advertised features were all about DAW control and not plug-in control. I am a musician and not a producer. That's why Nektarine has such a great appeal to me.

By the way, I also have a Panorama P1, and I am happy to report that the plug-in control part already works fine with Nektarine. It is the browsing part that is still missing. Since Nektar was a bit fuzzy about when Nektarine is coming to the P-series, I didn't wait, and bought a T6...