1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

NI is going to subscribtion based payment model. What do you think?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Tomess, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Tomess

Tomess NI Product Owner

It was said at NAMM from the CEO himself (8:45 in the video). Subscribtion based payment model will be implemented for all products, sounds and software. What do you gals and guys think about this? For me, this is the end of buying any NI related product and the start of looking for an alternative to Maschine for my producing and live work. By by NI, you lost me here...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

If this is the only model then for me its also the end of my relation with native then i use what i have and thats it.

Uwe

• Like Like x 12
  3. musmus

musmus NI Product Owner

Definitely NO! I'd also be out if this will be the only option.

• Like Like x 6
  4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Where does he say NI is going to be a subscription only company?
    All I heard was a discussion about how it will eventually be the future of software and it will be an option, not mandatory.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Organik_Dream

Organik_Dream NI Product Owner

Same for me there is no way will pay anything based on rent considering I bought most of NI products , I have no intention to be part of any rental scheme. I found an alternative for photoshop and same will be here if the case , no problem.

• Like Like x 9
  6. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Yeah, on the surface, I don't like the idea at all. However, the main stipulations to considering it for mew ould have to be:

1) that the updates and bug fixes better be MUCH FASTER, and continuous
    2) company response to consumer queries better be answered much faster (in reference, see point 1)
    3) the subscription fees need be reasonable to justify a sub (otherwise I won't even consider paying)

Point #1 would have to be the biggest justification in my mind for adding a subscription fee...I'm assuming companies like Native Instruments need to switch to a sub service as operating costs increase, and maybe they don't have enough money to keep updating the software AND the hardware at once as is?

If Ni is going to be getting more money from us through a subscription fee, then that also better mean that they are going to address more seemingly neglected issues, since it really seems like between the hardware and software improvements, they have decided to focus on hardware more.... Time will tell. If they switch to a sub-based model, we will just have to see afterwards if they will make any changes/improvements, or it is just a way to gain more money.

• Like Like x 6
  7. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

saw this coming with machine 2 and the vending machine browser and native access.

one unfortunate result of subscription bases software is that is will likely require a background process to run, that will eat up to .5 to 10 percent of your cpu. adobe runs at .6 average on a macbook pro, but nevertheless, it is one more background process, in fact, it is a bunch of them.

nothing to worry about, as if you already own it, you can continue as usual with updates and upgrades for those products, though new products may soon be that way. advice, buy now.

for me, i would not upgrade to a subscription based komplete ultimate or maschine and that would be product life end. another good reason to go back to hardware and analog.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

it would be a mess to do that, and it took adobe something like ten years to switch over and they still honor purchased software as well as it is still sold by third parties, but if you buy direct from abobe, it is subscription only as of last year... i could see NI doing this is a few years, but as on option.

this is a good option for many who are students or on a budget, it allows everyone to have access.

9. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

We all said if........

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. D-One

Exactly. I was referring to the OP not you guys :)

6 years to be exact. Exactly, I agree.

11. D-One

I said the exact same thing on another thread, I also added this will restrain NI from rush releasing new hardware with under-developed software for quick money in-flow. If it works or not we will soon know, if anyone wants to make a bet I am in! Anyone?

12. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I don’t have a problem with it. Sign me up.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. davemacp

davemacp NI Product Owner

I have already bought komplete 11 ultimate, every single maschine expansion, the mk2 61, the mk3 maschine, and a maschine jam. What would make me want to subscribe?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

being able to use it on the next OS... mac users prepare to grab your ankles.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  15. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

i remember when Cakewalk kinda went subscription with Sonar, and then they offered the Lifetime Updates deal (which i jumped on). LOL look at me now!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

cakewalk closed their doors...

they dropped support for many of their abandonware mac products it of no surprise.

17. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

waves has the subscription option as well... but you can still buy it...

another benefit of it being an option, and still offering it for sale, is that it can give you a real good test drive of the software before you buy.

at this time it costs about 250 a year for updates to komplete ultimate, comes out every 1.5 tp 2 years, which does not include the base price. so for a new user, 19 a month for it would be a bargain for someone who never purchased it. so if NI offered a new user access to everything new and past for say 29 a month, it would be a bargain as well.

for me, i would rather just buy it and not have to have a background process check in every time i want to use it, i would rather pay more to not have my cpu and battery wasted for that, and have to transfer data back and forth via the internet. that is my one major complaint about native access, if you have to re-install because of an issue and say you have tech support on the phone or do not have time to wait 5 hours for a download to re-install via wifi due to a performance.

when i was recently on the phone with NI tech support i brought this up and they went silent, as they knew it is a major issue with tech support that a new user may not be able to save the install files to re-install while on the phone with tech support.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

My thoughts are this, I think they were referring to sounds.com, whereby I can see future Maschine Expansions/sounds to be subscription only, but the main software/hardware to buy & get the customer into the NI ecosystem.

19. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Why not, in theory. The only (?) problem I see is that subscriptions add up : , Adobe, plug-ins, phones, etc

20. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

If it was a subscription where you owned the product at the end , like komplete , I wouldn't mind ,but I couldn't see hardware/software based products like maschine going that way tbh

• Like Like x 1