No support for Cubase when using the M32

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by darshie76, Mar 7, 2019.

1. darshie76

darshie76 NI Product Owner

Hi,
    I did connect my M32, expecting to use the various buttons and features in Cubase, but it seems that there is something wrong.

The keys works fine; but no button nor the 4d knob works. I can import KK into Cubase as instrument, and the browser works fine, but I have no control over the DAW at all. No play or record button, no knobs, nothing.

I am pretty new to the whole midi thing; is there something that I am missing? Do I need to set up Cubase 9.5 to support the keyboard? I thought that the keyboard would just work as long as I plug it; with all the major DAW. I also have logic and Garageband on OSX and neither work either.

2. DynaMaltee

DynaMaltee NI Product Owner

Hi, that's correct. The M32 transport control is not yet supported in Cubase. On the product page for M32 NI states that it will be implemented soon. Then you will be able to select it from the MIDI Controllers Menu in Cubase like it is already possible for the Komplete Kontrol S series and have play, rec, quantize, loop, etc. functionality from the keyboard. Unfortunately there's no date mentioned when this will be available.

3. darshie76

I am confused though; I saw a video of a user using an S series and it was able to work with Cubase, so why the M32 would not work with it? I assumed the M32 is using the same hardware as the S series, but in a different form factor.

So I have to assign controls via CC learn like I used to do with my other midi keyboard? I hope support for cubase will arrive soon; I can't just use my old mac pro with logic just to use the m32 functionalities :(

4. DynaMaltee

Of course you can use the Quick Controls of Cubase to map the 8 Encoders to whatever you wish. And you can already load the Komplete Kontrol plugin on a Cubase track and then load your instruments inside of it, where you will have at least all NI instruments and effects pre-mapped.

5. darshie76

True, although I was hoping to be able to manipulate the DAW from the keyboard; especially the various functionalities like play/record, quantize and so on. And the track management; instead I am still forced to use my mouse.

6. darshie76

Is there any update on this? Mid may and so far no mention of Cubase 10 support sadly.
    I like NI products and after spending a ton of money for their product, I just miss the fact that there is no DAW made by NI; so I am forced to use hardware that is made to make my workflow easier, in a manual fashion, like a generic midi controller.

7. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

As I stated in a similiar post recently, NI is working on that. With the new update it is going to be released according to Adil. His post:

Hi all,

We are currently working on MCU Support which will be included in the next update to Komplete Kontrol software. We will be working on Cubase integration for A-Series keyboards (including M32) immediately after finishing MCU Support.

Best,
    Adil

• Like Like x 1
  8. louislingg

louislingg New Member

Any news on when this will be? Very dissapointing. Cubase is popular DAW!

9. Old Mike

That post mentioned above is about 1-2 weeks old. They couldn't tell the exact time, but I suppose it will come out soon.

10. darshie76

Thanks, hopefully a matter of weeks, not months

11. A&RFraser

A&RFraser New Member

Any thoughts on working with Avid to get NI hardware on board?
    M32 owner

12. Old Mike

Only NI knows....

13. yab007

yab007 New Member

Common NI when can we expect the release. I use Cubase 10. When does this update is comming out.
    I waiting before buying this mk32 Controller. It would be amazing to have a portable device supporting cubase 10.

Thanks in advance

14. ManfredLoe

ManfredLoe NI Product Owner

>>Of course you can use the Quick Controls of Cubase to map the 8 Encoders to whatever you wish.
    Just for clarification: Are the 8 Encoders do work already in Cubase ? I can´t get them to work in Cubase Pro 10 - the keys are working, though.

15. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

• Like Like x 1
  16. DynaMaltee

You must setup track controls or/and VST controls correctly in Cubase under Studio Setup (picture shows german language). Make sure the MIDI CCs are correct. The first 8 for NI controllers are 14 to 21. Then you can use the Quick Controls to control whatever you want in Cubase. Did you do that?
    cubasemidi.PNG

17. ManfredLoe

ManfredLoe NI Product Owner

Hi DynaMaltee, I‘m on holydays a.t.m. WhenI‘ll be back, I‘ll try to copy your settings. Thanx a lt!!

18. darshie76

Beware, the M32 does not act as generic MIDI controller, for most of its buttons. You are not getting any CC message for most of the buttons and the multi-function control.
    I was able to assign the knobs to some instruments in cubase, using CC learn, but that's all. Transport buttons, modes and knobs are out of reach because the app does not even see it.
    Tried to make a custom profile and that won't work either; mostly because I have no clue about what to do to set it up correctly, there are no tutorials nor anyone wrote a generic cubase profile for the M32; and I am a software engineer that write applications; so if you think that it is easy to make the M32 to work as you would expect; think again :)

19. darshie76

20. louislingg

louislingg New Member

Well the KK update came and went and still no Cubase integration as far as I can see. What's going on?