1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Novation Nocturn & Traktor3

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by DXIII, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamscoby

iamscoby NI Product Owner

I concur - 2.1.1234.6 is a mess!

2. Alkmst

Alkmst Forum Member

Thanks Guys, I will give that a whirl, hopefully tonight. I will keep you posted.

I might not burn it after all, my newborn loves the lighting on it, and if it doesnt work out for me, I might pass it on to her so she can use it as a teether!

3. iamscoby

God gave unto him a child.... a child bestowed with the gift of loops and beats. And to the child the people will flock, enriched with the knowledge that the child will give them the gift of boogie. Armed with the Nocturn, the child doth rock...:D

4. Alkmst

Alkmst Forum Member

WTflip!

Okay, so I rolled back to 2.0.1188 , this is what was included with the teether. Is there another version out there then what is on Novation's site?

Now the LED output from traktor doesnt work at all!
    I was able to map the scrol list, that works no problem with the way that was metioned in this thread! But now I have no idea which of my track is playing! It was already a mess with the latest version, but with this version I dont think the LED output works at all! DOes it work for any of you?

Two main reasaon why I bought the nocturn, one to scroll through my playlists and tree and the second to reflect the buttons and knobs from traktor so I dont have to look at my computer screen all the time.

I have no freaking way of winning. I think I am gonna call Novation tech support now... I don't think I am doing anything wrong this time around.

Wish me luck, I will keep you guys posted! IF anyone knows how to get my lightings to communicate please let me know. THanks

This is my last chance...

5. skratchworx

skratchworx Forum Member

I have straight up given up trying to get the Novation Nocturn to work properly with any MIDI software. It plugs and plays with VSTs and audio units, but for MIDI apps, it's just too much of a nightmare. I haven't got the time to spare to make this work. It should be relatively plug and play. Other controllers work and so should the Nocturn.

6. DubCricket

DubCricket New Member

Does anyone have a working Traktor 3.4.1 and Nocturn with the latest Automap Universal on a MAc Book Pro?

I've read the whole thread and I have the problem of only the speed dial working. Since I used to use Traktor 3 on PC I know my way around pretty well. But I can't get the software to respond to any CC changes or learn functions. I got the control mappings posted here (Excellent!) and now I'm really foaming at the mouth since it seems I would be fully functional if Traktor would pick up the CC's.

Being new to mac, I keep going back to Audio MIDI settings in the utilities folder to see if I have the settings correct. Interestingy, it's the same issue in Reason - cannot get the program to auto detect the nocturn or respond to CC's with Automap open.

One thing I wonder is that the nocturn guide says you must have your software running in Automap mode. Well, Traktor does not appear in my Automap plug-in manager like the other NI applications.

I have the following conclusions:

It's related to Leopard 10.5.x
    It's an Automap Universal issue 2.1.1234.6
    I've messed up a Leopard Audio MIDI setting

BTW, my Novation SL 25 and latest Automap seems to work fine.

My next test is to try to set that controller up with Traktor to troubleshoot the Automap possibility.

Please keep this thread going... it's the only thing I've found so far for Mac / Nocturn users.

7. DubCricket

DubCricket New Member

UPDATE!

I am having some success after loading the .tks default midi (not keyboard) file and setting assignments through the preferences>midi setup dialogue in traktor. But you have to manually tell traktor what CC# specifically be selecting the appropriate controller # in the dropdown menu - LEARN does not work!

I will post a .tks file if I am able to get one that works after closing the program and reloading.

Mark

8. DubCricket

DubCricket New Member

Seems like I can make my preferred mappings and have recall with the exception that I have to reload my Nocturn mapping each session.

You can make a mapping a set it to be the default mapping for the client but since Traktor cannot be wrapped as a plug-in it is necessary to launch Automap Server first so it will be visible to Traktor upon startup. So having the mapping set to be the default doesn't seem to factor if Traktor follows Automap execution.

Anyhow, I have all the controllers working fine except for the crossfader, I don't know why. I don't use it anyhow, I prefer assigning rotary's to control the deck volume faders.

I can see why the nocturn got great reviews. It's small, well-built, simple, and inexpensive. The LED's make all the difference, no more staring at your LCD to see where your pot positions are.

9. iamscoby

The Nocturn rocks!

10. Alkmst

Alkmst Forum Member

Does the playlist scroll work when mapping it to the nocturn knob, does the lighting on your buttons work properly when using the play/pause option...just curious.

I have packed up my nocturn, and I am ready to return it.

11. lifespan

lifespan New Member

Nocturn/Automap 2.1.1234.6/Traktor 3.4.0 all working as expected. you have to run Automap server before traktor, then load traktor, hen load Automap Control map, voila, all midi maping i made within traktor works. Crossfader has no CC for it so i have set it to cc127, then i mapped all controls i need via traktors Midi setup Learn function.

12. Alkmst

Alkmst Forum Member

I have finally managed to spend time with the Nocturn and now getting back to this forum.
    This by far is not a review of the Nocturn but just my experience and expectations. Just as and FYI I have returned the Nocturn and settled for the BCR2000. I tried the Nocturn on 4 different ways all PC based.
    1. Windows XP SP3 – with automap 2.1.1234.6 and traktor 3.4.1
    2. Windows xp sp3 – with Automap 2.1.1186 and Traktor 3.4.1
    3. Windows Vista (Business) with Automap 2.1.1234.6
    4. Windows Vista (Business) with Automap 2.1.1186
    The Operating system did not matter, but using the Automap 2.1.1186 gave me the ability to use the scroll playlist feature properly, but did not recognize any LED output commands from Traktor.
    Automap 2.1234.6 did recognize the LED output commands but when mapping the playlist scroll feature to a knob it is inaccurate. I also have the Remote ZeroSL which I used the same Automap (2.1234.6) and mapped the scroll playlist feature to a rotary encoders and it works perfectly! So my thoughts are the Nocturn rotary knobs uses a different format then the two defined in Traktor. Who to blame? (This case I blame Novation, you will read why.)
    Also, when assigning the play/pause option to a button in Nocturn the LED output is inaccurate. After trying as many options as I could, I realized that the buttons on the Nocturn need to be assigned by the automap (hold, toggle (step 0 and 1)) and it will use that in conjunction with the Traktor LED output causing the Nocturn to show incorrect lighting.
    I also had issues saving the control maps, with 2.1234.6. It does not always save the last changes! When I reopen control map it seems that I had to mess around with the midi parameters again.
    To some this may be minor issues, but to me I have been very happy with my Novation RemotezeroSl and when the Nocturn was advertising that it can be used with a DJ application I was expecting a lot more then what they provided. It is quite clear now they only advertised that it can be used with a DJ application because it acts as midi controller and made the automap driver work with it. As with other DJ midi controllers hitting the market, I feel this one does not really offer any uniqueness from a DJs standpoint. At least, testing it on popular DJ products like Traktor would have been helpful! Now DJ Controllers that are out are not out because it can translate midi, but has features with DJism in mind!
    So Novation if you are reading this, here is my expectations which I think a lot of DJs would like.
    1. Have the option to disable LED on the buttons so that it can be controlled by software.
    2. Speed Dial? It’s a waste, should have the option to be able to assign a midi knob.
    3. When switching control maps should have the option to be able to switch to a default control map. So if I select ‘Mixer’ then whichever control map I specified as default should load automatically. I should not have to touch a rotary knob to load a control map.
    4. The pages – be able to switch by midi messages. (I was so disappointed to find that this was not possible!)
    So once again, this was my experience. I returned the Nocturn and got the BCR2000 for less then half the cost and for me does exactly what I can do with the Nocturn and still have more controls to play with!
    Perhaps they will come up with a new automap and add features that would be geared for DJs as they initially highlighted as one of their key features. I guess I was expecting more especially since it was coming from Novation. I still love the RemoteZeroSl.

Stanton SCS.3d anyone ? :)

13. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

I've got one of these and I definitely agree with number 3. When you select 'Mixer' or 'FX' you should have the option to load a default control map. Then you can have maps selectable without bringing up the Automap window. I don't use the Nocturn with another interface and I'd like it to be hands-on. I don't want to be looking at my lappie any more than I have to!

And yes, I can't really think of anything to do with the Speed Dial. Maybe there could be an option to assign a midi knob.

I suspect that these may well be improvements that are in the pipeline.

I'm not usually a massive early adopter but I was seduced by the shiny lights!

14. mosQ

mosQ New Member

I have the same controller since a couple of days.
    There is only 1 problem:

If I want to activate the Loop, I have to press the button. Now it's activated. If I want to deactive it, I now have to press the button twice ...

I think you know what I mean.

I tried to set the Step to 0 ... but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?
    ---
    Ok, works now.
    Just had to restart the server! :)

15. battle_arena

battle_arena New Member

Novation Remote Zero SL

Hey,

Can someone please help me with mapping my rotary encoders in Traktor 3.3

I got a Remote Zero SL and I'm having a real hard time trying to get the rotary encoders to work. They seem to scroll up ok (turning to the right) but when I turn the knob left it jumps back to zero instead of slowly dialing down.

Can anyone shed light on this subject?

Many Thanks. :)

16. NLS666

NLS666 Forum Member

Anyone knows if you can connect multiple nocturnes?

17. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

As far as I know, no. You can only run one instance of the Automap software.

18. acidtension

acidtension New Member

Has anyone managed to solve all the mentioned bugs and have Nocturn work properly with TSP/TP by now?

I am trying to decide between a couple of controllers for fx & loops in Traktor Scratch Pro (price is not a big issue, though I'm not in the JazzMutant league...), and the portability and supposed intelligent & versatile mapping of Nocturn got my attention... otherwise I'd probably only think of buying the A&H 1D.

19. NLS666

NLS666 Forum Member

Hey, if you're still trying to decide, check out the nano series from Korg, plenty of knobs, pads and faders for very little money. Got mine today (nano pad & kontrol) and I'm very happy with it. Bought both together for 118€.

Greetz,
    NLS

20. acidtension

acidtension New Member

Well, adding two more usb devices is not good for me, as I'd need a hub, which sometimes makes them not be detected or work properly and I don't want to add possible issues to my setup, as it will only be used to dj and I don't want it to fail - this because I've bought one of the new alluminium macbooks, which only has 2 usb ports - one of them is already assigned to the soundcard, Audio 8 dj.
    This kind of leads me to Faderfox, I know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.