1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Numark DMC-1

Discussion in 'DJ Studio 1.0 - 2.6 / DJ Player / DJ Mixer' started by funkyant_Tf, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyant_Tf

funkyant_Tf NI Product Owner

I've just worked out that I can use my Numark DMC-1 (old pcdj controller) with FS-2 using a serial to midi driver by GizmoMIDI.

Is anyone else using this setup?

2. pulsewidth_Tf

pulsewidth_Tf Forum Member

Been using this setup for over a year, it mostly works well. You'll probably need to update the firmware chip on DMC-1 though, which is sorta pricy at $99. The firmware version required by the Gizmolabs driver is 2.1.1.5, if you already have it the DMC-1 will display this when it is turned on.

The driver is very full-featured and pretty mature. It allows you to map both individual buttons as well as button combinations to unique MIDI messages. Really, my only disappointment with it is that I have yet to find a mapping for the jogwheels and scratch rings that is entirely satisfactory in Traktor. However i have yet to give this a go with 2.6 and am hoping that there are some new bindings to play with.

3. Erik_Tf

Erik_Tf New Member

Pulsewidth, i bought the chip, and installed the midi driver, I'm testing Traktor with it but really i don't know how to make work some actions....
    It would be fine to have a.tks config file for Numark DMC-1 so i could work on it.

Could you send me a .tks for DMC-1?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Erik

4. pulsewidth_Tf

Erik,

My tks file is for a much older version of the driver. Unfortunately with each new driver release the midi messages that are generated by button-presses change, so you have to make a new one.

I did just download the newer version of the driver though, so if i get it set up within a couple of days i'll let you know.

5. funkyant_Tf

Luckily my DMC-1 already had the correct firmware - I had it up and running straight away!

Im going to use it at a gig tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

If anyone wants a copy of my config file, I'm more than willing to share / swap.

6. Erik_Tf

Erik_Tf New Member

Funkyant,
    could you send me your .tks by email?

thank you for your reply.

Erik

7. MARAKI

MARAKI NI Product Owner

if anyone can send me a tks file will be very nice
    please...

8. pulsewidth_Tf

Problem with 2.2 driver + T2.61

Hey guys, I'm having problems with the new 2.2 dmc-1 driver in traktor 2.61.

In traktor i selected "DMC/DAC Midi In [Auto]" as my midi interface, since i use a USB-to-serial converter.

This lets me use "learn" to set things on the right side of the controller. However some of the buttons on the left side controller produce the MIDI message "Note ???" in traktor. IE it doesn't understand the output. This is the case for the following buttons:

deck A LOAD
    deck A WAIT LIST
    deck A SHIFT
    deck A <<
    deck A >>
    deck A CUE
    deck A PLAY
    deck A PREVIEW
    deck A MATCH

I've run the DMC test program and all of the controls test out OK. Any ideas?

9. Erik_Tf

Erik_Tf New Member

I've just seen. But this doesn't seem cause problems. Play/pause and seek-forward backward work correctly anyway. I haven't made any other test on other functions yet.

10. Erik_Tf

Erik_Tf New Member

The real question is: How to program the internal and external jog wheels? How to program the pitch control fader and the two pitch bend buttons. I have problems in choosing the options in config window.

11. pulsewidth_Tf

Hmm, so you're saying it's just a cosmetic (display) issue, but that the buttons still work correctly when assigned? I'll have to try that tonight.

I had no problems in the past assigning the pitch bend buttons. You just have to find the right MIDI option in traktor. For example instead of choosing "Deck A Pitch Bend", make sure you select "Deck A Pitch Bend Up" and "Deck A Pitch Bend Down".

Also make sure the "lock OMNI" toggle is not selected, otherwise both sides of the DMC-1 will control the same deck.

Also in previous versions of the driver I have been able to assign the jog wheels and rings independently, but the granularity and acceleration was not very satisfying. I am hoping that is improved in this version of Traktor.

12. funkyant_Tf

Sorry for the late reply. Its now 12:15pm on tuesday, and I've just made it home from my Sunday night gig! :confused:

Let's just say I'm a little buckled right now...

Anyway, I've attached my controller map tks for anyone who wants to play with it.

Note that I've only been using this setup as of this weekend, so it definately needs a little refining. I'd love to hear suggestions for how to use those jog wheels.

I have used the pitch faders for fine pitch adjustment and set (it in the options) to +/- 4%

It would be nice if NI would add some scrolling functions to the midi map so we could use them to go through our record case like we could in PCDJ.

Ps. This tks also has some controllers mapped to the filters which I have been using the Phatboy for - works nicely too! You can delete or just disregard these.

Cheers,

Ant

Attached Files:

13. pulsewidth_Tf

Thanks Erik, that was indeed much ado about nothing. Kent from gizmolabs explained it that ot all midi notes have a name, hence the ??? in the name.

My rebuilt tks file is nearly complete, i'll post it tonight or tomorrow. Also i'll check funkyant's out for comparison, thanks d00d.

I also use the pitch faders for fine adjust, but wish the traktor pitch fader display would travel the full distance top to bottom when using fine pitch adjustment.

I use the jogwheels for Deck Seek Position, to scroll through tracks. I manually set the sensitivity to about 16-18%. Unfortunately the acceleration doesn't seem to work, does it work for anyone else?

Agreed that there should be a single case/track selection mapping (for wheels), rather than the current previous-track and next-track option (for buttons).

14. MARAKI

MARAKI NI Product Owner

dmc 1

pulsewidth how is it going with your new tks files?
    give us a help you the pro
    please!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.