1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Odd time signatures in Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by machinesworkinghardforyou, Apr 28, 2018.

1. jmatx

jmatx NI Product Owner

Pretty much. But since I'm new to Maschine and like odd sigs too, can you help me understand what to watch out for? You're saying in the transition from a 4/4 bar to a 9/8 bar, it plays beat 4 of the 4/4, then beat 8 of the 9/8, instead of beat 1 of the 9/8? So like 1,2,3,4/8,9,1,2... ? How does it return back to the 4/4? Does it play 11 beats in 9/8, or just stop on beat 7 and go back to beat 1 of 4/4?

Honestly I would most likely end up sequencing that in Logic anyway, but want to learn Maschine in and out before I try to integrate them.

2. machinesworkinghardforyou

machinesworkinghardforyou NI Product Owner

Right, so yeah, I can guarantee that won't work with Maschine's clip/scene firing from a DAW.

They do not, to be clear 9/8 messes with it big time, probably any division by 8 instead of 4 does.

Actually it does on the fly, when the DAW changes time signature. This unfortunately also means that bars and measures move around like mad when you're using it as a plug in this way. Yes, the only workaround for this is to have the entire song mapped in both Maschine and whatever DAW you're using, which is just a total PITA, not at all worth the hassle, especially when other drum solutions can and do allow for rearranging a single linear timeline.

I'm done with workarounds and perseverance, especially when there's no end in sight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. machinesworkinghardforyou

Yeah, integrating them isn't going to be fun if you're using odd time signatures. In the song the broke me, it starts in 4/4 on the 20th bar goes into 9/8 on the 8th beat of 9/8 which turns the accent on it's ass, then retrigger decides to work when it goes into 4/4 again...
    The workarounds are to trigger from the first measure of the new time signature bar, print to audio, or to write out the entire drum pattern in Maschines song window, and have a great time watching the timeline bounce all over the place as the time signature changes while you try to match measures to your DAWs measures. :mad:

4. Tomess

Tomess NI Product Owner

Have you try to do the whole sequencing in your DAW with Maschine as a VST? There, you are totally independent from the crappy Maschine sequencer. I use maschine alle the time like this when I'm not on stage with it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  5. machinesworkinghardforyou

So you're using 16 tracks one for all of Maschines 16 pads, 32 tracks for two sequences etc. etc? It just seems that everything I personally want to do with Maschine requires work arounds and kills the benefits.

6. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

This shouldn’t even be a thing but you know.. Ni

7. machinesworkinghardforyou

Yep, Maschine is boxed up, ready to sell. Relying on SparkLE until it dies or I buckle and get an MPC Live. Realistically I think I will get the MPC Live, it's relatively future proof.

8. machinesworkinghardforyou

So there is a solution to this I figured would be a good idea to share since the manual is kind of half assed about it.
    This sets up a group to a single MIDI channel. Gives you 16 drum sets or a combination of drum sets and instruments if you so desire.
    Neither of the following tutorial links mention this, and it's important-

Right click the group track, (works in any mode) in the pop up choose "group MIDI Batch Setup" then choose "Sounds to MIDI Notes"
    This is what you want for drumkit groups triggered by a single MIDI channel in your DAW. For instruments you'll want to leave on the default "Sounds to MIDI channels"

Keeping that in mind these two tutorials will get you through the process:

https://support.native-instruments....E-2-Drum-Kits-with-MIDI-Notes-in-Ableton-Live

https://support.native-instruments....2-Instruments-with-MIDI-Notes-in-Ableton-Live

I'm about to go to the local Guitar Center and work with a friend with MPC Live to see if their version of pad/sequence triggering works better with odd time signatures, but the above solutions go a long way towards making me not want to spend $1k+ on a new drum machine...