Open Letter to the Maschine Community

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Jonas @ NI, May 23, 2016.

1. Organik_Dream

Organik_Dream NI Product Owner

It's a letter in the right direction . CakeAlex criticizes but doesn't offend he got a balance at least how he comes across and total opposite from the way tooshka is doing it Which is extremely negative .
    Your approach is understandable as well .

2. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Wont cause any drama, I could s*it jewel encrusted gold and that particular thing would still moan and whine that i had taken a s*it, asking for people to be banned is running in fear of the truth.

3. SCARYMAN

SCARYMAN Forum Member

At last some communication from NI. But think they have been forced into doing this which isn't a bad thing as they've at last seen the Natives are restless. But for me this letter is very disappointing indeed. Most of it covers what they have already done not what is to come in the future. So no big all singing all dancing update coming anytime soon. Surprise Surprise. So looks like any sequencer improvements will be years away. Really think they have missed the boat big time. For me it's too late now. Hope we do see updates but if it's anything like the last ones am prepared to be disapointed again.

4. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

I agree entirely ;)
    "you have two choices to take from that, either NI are so completely arrogant that they think every few years we can step in and throw them a bone, or, their online representitives Jonas and Keir i think they are called, are so incompetent that they have not reported back the utter distain shown by Maschine users across the web (it is not just here)"

• Like Like x 1
  5. Balog

Balog NI Product Owner

Calm down everybody, do some House!

• Like Like x 3
  6. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

I think you've misunderstood my point. It is not about Maschine being a daw or not. I was saying that you could've known what Maschine was when you bought it. Sequencer and all. I find it strange that people buy a product and then go online to demand from the manufacturer that they improve it. NI doesn't owe you anything as far as I'm concerned. Don't take it personally, that's just how it works, you pay for what you get, not for what it should be according to you. If you don't like Maschine and think you can't fully use it, then maybe it isn't for you.

I see a lot of demands here, some even in caps lock. I think a more humble approach would be admirable. To me, the entitlement to better features is misplaced. Yes, there could be improvements, and with this letter NI commits to updates in the coming year. Let's just see what they have in store for us.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

what gives me concern more than anything else is that the open letter seems to imply some re-focus on some larger than life feature request... But!!!... I'm almost certain that the majority of feature request have not been big, innovative, groundbreaking , never before heard of request..., and I absolutely know for a fact that the features I've discussed on the forum have been extremely basic. I appreciate the open letter, the better communication, and reaching out to the forum, but I am also sure that the improvements that maschine needs the most don't garner any need for all of this cloak and dagger mentality displayed by the company, and the letter. Frustrating to say the least.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 30rhythms

30rhythms Member

AKAI already announced 2.0 Software in January and it was not about better slicing and DAW integration! It was about realtime stretch, warp markers and audio tracks. Also they created MPC Touch. 12 month? lol Are you kidding? Sorry but it seems that you think that all users on this forum are idiots or kids that simply do kick/snare/hihat production. I really hope that AKAI will released 2.0 update to kick you and then we will see how you love your customers who with you about 8 years, who bought MK1 and MK2 twice. Nowadays this open letters - marketing sh***.

9. Birdzeye

Birdzeye Forum Member

Yes, this is what I took from it. Basically they're 3 years behind development than what I hoped.. No wonder Akai and Push have been able to make up ground.

This could be a long process back to Maschine as a frontrunner!

• Like Like x 1
  10. SCARYMAN

SCARYMAN Forum Member

"Time for us to re-focus on Maschine". Meaning basically nothing has been done apart from "integration" with other products. Funny how they've had time to produce expansions though. The more I read the letter the worse it seems. Just exactly how long is this re-focussing going to take? Since 2:0 Maschine has just been left idle. All the speculation about a big update has been completely down the wrong road. At least now there won't be all the speculation threads. As looks like there's nothing to speculate about. In fairness to NI at least they've now admitted (reading between the lines) that they've been doing nothing to improve Maschine over the last 3 years.

11. m:t:c

m:t:c NI Product Owner

Expansions are done by other people. Musicians and beat makers and not by Maschine developers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

Good to hear that development is in progress! Thanks NI.

You have to close the gap to the competition...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Florian G @ NI

Florian G @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi all, another (different) Florian here - trust me, we're all different people, actually. I am working with the Maschine dev teams as a designer and product manager. First of all, thanks for all the replies to this letter. I think there have been some misunderstandings, so let me try to make some points clearer:

- This letter is not intended to substitute a release. The teams are actually busy finishing up a release that will drop within the next weeks and come with some of the improvements mentioned in the letter, and also contain a huge number of bug fixes.

- Maschine development was never stopped, but as the letter states, the main focus has been on integration with Komplete & NKS for a while. This has changed now.

- Maschine is not developed by one big team, but by several smaller "agile" teams. This means that a few developers are working with dedicated designers and testers on a specific feature area. Some of the teams work on smaller workflow improvements, while others work on bigger things that take longer until we can release them. This also means that not everything we are currently working on is going into the next public release.

- The arranger part of Maschine is being worked on currently. You will see some of the teams' work in the next release, but it is iterative and we're already working a little further ahead. Yes, the letter should have mentioned that. And yes, we are very conscious about not turning Maschine into a complex DAW and thereby breaking what's great about it. We will release some first steps soon, with more to come, and your feedback will be an important steering for where we go.

- Like m:t:c said, Maschine Expansions are not done by the dev teams. The two streams (expansions vs. feature development) are entirely decoupled, so a new expansion is never holding up a new feature.

As for an outlook, we will have a Q&A session here pretty soon, currently aiming for early June, but we want to get the next release out the door first. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 26
    • Informative Informative x 4
  14. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Sounds good to me! But I have a feeling not everyone will think the same

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. 30rhythms

30rhythms Member

At the end you will create new sequencer/realtime stretch/warp in 3.0 and we need to pay for this again. Yes? ))))) lol After 3 years of nothing you still thinking that user will wait another year and after that they will pay to you another 100$? ;)

16. Jonas @ NI

Jonas @ NI EDU NI Team

What makes you think that? It states in the letter that updates are being rolled out over the coming year and that these updates are going to be free.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Organik_Dream

Organik_Dream NI Product Owner

this is actually a big change..the fact that NI is willing to share their plans for Machines and listen makes the difference.
    We have lots of good ideas that came out from forum members ,some logged intensively, some mentioned numerous endless threads etc etc Hopefully this should shift all the negative energy to a good one so we all enjoy Maschine when updated !!!! : At least now I dont have to check NI main page daily for Maschine news at least for teh next couple of weeks..Maybe I still check for Komplete though ; )

• Like Like x 5
  18. KravenZ

KravenZ NI Product Owner

First of all, hi Florian :) It is very nice to see that NI has finally started to communicate with the community. I really hope that NI will now start to listen to their users again and deliver some long awaited improvements and features. I think that a lot of users are disappointed with the recent "development" and NI has to convince them that they are willing to do better. Especially since, some other companies have already showed roadmaps with features that Maschine users demand for a long time.

I have been patient and I still have my Maschine. Thus I haven't jumped on another boat yet. I hope that NI is working on the most mentioned feature requests i.e. "Arranger/Sequencer improvements", "Real-time timestretch", "DAW integration", "Solo/Mute automation" and "Audio tracks". I hope that we will get some informations how the development looks like, regrading these features.

I hope also that there will be some informations and news regarding new Maschine hardware. I have saved some money that I would like to invest for a flagship groove box. Since Maschine Studio is out now for a long time, I guess that there will be some successor in the near future. Please address that in your developer Q&A next month.

You should also consider to make some kind of open beta program as it has been done in the past. I think it was a good thing and helped a lot in the development of Maschine.

I hope that we will see a more open communication in the future. This will be good for both sides. For us users, as well as for the developers.

• Like Like x 4
  19. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Super moderator :)
    Keep up the good work

• Like Like x 3
  20. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Thanks. I can't see how you could have made things any more clear. So June will be a big month to look forward to.

IMHO would be nice to see a sole big bug fix release, followed by an enhancements release, but whatever..

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1