1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Parallel Waveform Layout Request

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Jumeirah Sound System, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Jumeirah Sound System

Jumeirah Sound System NI Product Owner

The parallel waveforms update is great and has actually made me think about my sets a bit differently. Many thanks!

After gigging with it a few times, however, I'd like to request / suggest an alternative layout for them. Instead of having all four waveforms clustered at the top of the screen, it would be significantly more convenient to have them in the middle of the screen.

In other words, have decks A and B on top, parallel waveforms in the middle, then decks C and D below. See the attached mock-up I did as an example.

[​IMG]

This would be a much easier and more intuitive (for me, at least). It clusters like information with like information, with the waveforms from each track being closer to their associated decks. Now it's a bit odd for my eye to keep skipping from the top to bottom half of the screen all the time to see what is going on. I guess I'll get used to it, but in the heat of the mix anything that increases the usability of the UI would be quite helpful.

This would only work with external mixer mode, obviously, or at least with the mixer portion turned off. But I suspect enough pro users play with an external mixer that having the option to do this would be welcomed by a lot of people.

What do you guys think? Possible? Thanks for considering the suggestion.

PS - A decent work around might be to just allow users to toggle a function that displayed the track names in a small font on upper left part of the waveform, but centered waveforms seems like a better idea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Aleix Jiménez

Aleix Jiménez NI Product Owner

Agree!! That would be cool!
    Plus.... it's kind like a BUG but, when you switch between different layouts, they sometimes "loose" their configuration. An example:
    If you switch between a layout with 4 decks to a layout of 2 Decks, then this layout of 2 Decks "looses" its configuration and becomes a copy of the previous layout. So, layouts configurations aren't really "saved" and "unmodifiable" appart from the settings... which is kind of messy..

3. Steve Spared

Steve Spared New Member

[​IMG] I could personally get used to that setup instead, which to me would make a whole lot more sense. Anyone?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Rick Dangerous

Rick Dangerous NI Product Owner

5. Steve Spared

Steve Spared New Member

To each our own I guess. :)

I for one find waaay too confusing and much messier having 4 waved tracks on top of each other. Or give us the choice! Make it modular-like inside the software. Win-win.

6. Rick Dangerous

Rick Dangerous NI Product Owner

Actually the concept of parallel waveforms IS to have them on top of each other. But I agree, different people, different workflows. So (limited) modularity would be best. I for example would like to see 'Cue' AND ''Grid' tab when preparing tracks.

7. Jumeirah Sound System

Hey guys, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Agree with Rick in that the whole point is to stack them. But I also like some of the other alternative arrangements (especially OVPL's one in Rick's linked post). Limited modularity to suit user preference would be ideal, but that's also somewhat challenging to code, isn't it? Then again, we have one deck view for track prep, so it shouldn't be too hard depending on how NI is planning the full code base rewrite. I'm just speculating here though as I'm not a developer.

Looking at the alternatives, it also feels like the parallel waveforms and the smaller track waveforms in each deck are also a bit duplicative. I wonder if you couldn't just include a better zoom function on the parallel wave forms and then remove the smaller ones entirely?

There is still the issue of a more ergonomic layout for where the waveforms go. Personally I prefer the one I suggested, but having a few options for users to chose from would make everyone happy.

Rick, any chance that any of these suggestions might make it into future betas?

Thanks again all.

8. Jumeirah Sound System

PS - interesting commentary from one of the NI team members over on this thread:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/parallel-waveforms-problem.348531/

In particular, this nugget:
    Good to know it was the result over two dedicated team members squeezing it in under the wire. They're champions in my book. Would be good to hear their thoughts on this thread if they're able to speak about it in public.

9. Jumeirah Sound System

Updated this with some feedback from another thread in the Feature Suggestions section. You can see the full thread here: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/parallel-decks-anyone-agree.348313/

This version has all the standard track information on the left side and does away with the need for two views of the waveform. Apologies for using the same track name for all decks (I was just photoshopping this so I hope you get the point).

There would basically be three sections in this layout:

1) All the track information and manipulation you'd need on the left (which are usually hidden behind the drop down menus in "Advanced" deck mode". In this mockup the decks are arranged C, A, B, D like on a regular four channel mixer, just oriented horizontally.
    2) A giant parallel waveform on the right, with track name and detail on it, and a powerful zoom function that would let you toggle between full track width and a more detailed parallel waveform as shown.
    3) The standard browser on the lower part of the screen, which you could toggle fullscreen via the space bar or any other key (as you can do now).

Obviously this is only for "pro" users using external mixers, but man what a dream it would be. Basically my perfect Traktor Pro. ;-)

Looking back at my first mockup at the beginning of this thread, I still think that would be a great one as well.

One can always dream! :-D

Better Traktor Layout 4.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Eskill85

Eskill85 New Member

A couple of proposals:

- integrate "vertical" parallel waveforms, if not for 4 decks, at least for 2 decks (seems more logical for timecodevinyl dj's like me). It would be nice to have the track information + cuepoints + grid + loop + ... of track A and C at the left side and track B and D at the right side and with vertical parallel waveforms in between.
    - make it modular
    - make it possible to "hide" the second "non parellel" waveform.

11. Jumeirah Sound System

Hi Eskill85,

Curious what kind of music you play? Your first request basically describes Serato, which most of my hip hop and breaks friends prefer due to shorter songs with fewer bars.

Personally I prefer horizontal waveforms because you can see more of the songs for longer tracks. I play house, so horizontal make sure more sense to me.

NI would kill it if they made the layouts truly modular and flexible like this and allowed people to chose. Since most Traktor users still play house and techno, I suspect horizontal waveforms will remain dominant for now.

We can dream for a super flexible modular layout, but that seems like a big ask. Nonetheless let’s keep the dream alive!

I’d be happy for now with just the ability to chose where the waveforms sit on the screen as is, per my first mock-up above. But there are lots of other creative possibilities out there that are really fun to explore.

Thanks for your comments.

12. Eskill85

Eskill85 New Member

Hey

When I started with traktor scratch, about 10 years ago I was playing a lot of dubstep, uk breaks, etc. tho originally i'm a turntablist / hip hop dj :).
    These days I mix a lot of different "genres" from house to hip hop, classics, new stuff, electronica, bass, jazz, afro, funk, soul, disco, techno, ...

While almost everybody in my environment who had a similar aproach on deejaying or played mainly hip hop, urban and related genres went for Serato I choose Traktor :). Why? Mainly because I had the feeling that the sound quality of traktor was and still is superior.

13. Jumeirah Sound System

Yep I can see why vertical waveforms would make sense for more hip hop, jazz, soul, etc. So called "open format", which I play a lot of myself. Usually these songs are shorter, more musical, sometimes more complex. So at most you're doing short blends, cuts and quick transitions between just two tracks. Vertical makes sense for that use, I totally agree.

For me I'm a house and techno guy mostly (but traveling pretty wide and far within those genres but still closely related). This stuff is usually longer tracks, more structured, and I tend to use lots of loops and layers to create really long blends, build ups and breaks. So having more of the track on the screen is better for me - thus my preference for horizontal waveforms.

In either case, having the option to do both is the dream. I'd prefer they do one excellently instead of both poorly, but we can always dream, can't we? ;-)

14. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  15. DJ Priminista

DJ Priminista NI Product Owner

I Agree,
    Most of the suggestions I've come across, have been valid. Not really sure why the NI team has not seen the benefits of these requests or why they take so long in rolling these features.

16. Phyia

Phyia NI Product Owner

this is the layout i'd prefer, especially if you can adjust the tracks to make them smaller so you can see more of the playlist section.