1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

perform FX only working when it wants to?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Jun 7, 2019.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

do you guys have to "wake up" performFX by pressing the touchstrip sometimes? I recorded some automation that doesn't playback unless i toggle the touchstrip and then sometimes it only sounds like it plays the "mix" of the automation at like 50%. I've had this problem a bit before, but it seems more prominent with a current project. anyone else?

edit - i'll leave the touchstrip engage function off so it doesn't playback back in the non automated patterns, but then if it's not engaged during the automated patterns, then it won't play it with automation. I have to constantly toggle the engage feature on and off.

2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

i had this too sometimes. my guess is that when recording your "jamming with perfom fx" that Maschine sometimes doesn't register the "on" or "off" events correctly. what i do in such situation: correct the "on" or "off" event by mouse or just re-record the "jamming"....

• Like Like x 1
  3. StarSMASH

i see what you're saying, but now it is working within whatever range i touch in the touchstrip. it's not "locked" in the "perform frequency" parameter i recorded the automation.
    ie. i recorded a low pass PFX going up and down constantly but ever so slightly in the middle of the touchstrip. Wherever i touch, it moves the center to that new range and continues to move up and down between wherever i touch even after i let go of the touchstrip. it keeps basically moving wherever i oscillate the touchstrip. my "auto" button isn't lit up.

4. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

what happens if you "clear automation" on that pattern? does it keep "oscilating"? strange...

5. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

It looks like a misreading of automation lines. Anyway I stopped using this since vers. 2.7 for same reasons. Not always producing same effect on each round, clunky automation and no fidelity to performance when mixing down

• Like Like x 1
  6. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

I am quite an experienced "producer" (20 years with all diff. software), but i never ever had so much "fear" of using automation than within maschine software. i love the ability to automate all kind of parameters...but as you say kaldosh, it never feels or sounds the same when listening back to a performance as it felt and sounded during recording it....

maybe it's just us three with problems but i don't think so. i allways think i oversee something (maybe i should try different "snap/grid-settings"? does anyone know by heart: has the setting of "gridsetting" any influence in how automation is recorded?....

7. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Yes it does so you can do step modulation and I usually turn it off but if it's on and I am happy with the sound of it I don't do another take. But I often see MASCHINE as an analog device with artefacts and I am usually more happy that normal if my export give me the sense that it is as expected.... But coming from the days where you had to be extremely skilled to do music with computer, I'd doesnt bother me because the concept is so great and still giving results. And making musik with computer always brings frustrating moment for a reason or another, so we can also cobgratulate what has been done until today... ;)

8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I love the performanceFX and never had problems like that but I don't have a controller with touch strip so I have to automate on/off with the first knob and whatever on the second and the other knobs. Really strange thing again.

Uwe

9. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I never had any issues with the toggle automation either, but note that if you perform multiple passes over the same pattern and keep overwriting the modulation the on/off modulation can get messy.
    Humm... That's due to the nature of the way Maschine FX work, after modulation is recorded you can still change the value of the knob, they kind of have 2 layers, this is the easiest way to explain it:

Outer gray ring around the knob is recorded modulation if you grab it and twist it will record that modulation.
    If you turn the knob itself you will just change the range (or center frequency value) of the recorded modulation.

[​IMG]

So... With a Touch Strip controlling a PFX Filter frequency:
    - If you have modulation (AUTO unlit) recording OFF when you touch the strip will just change the range of the previous recorded modulation. (The strip keeps moving according to modulation)
    - If you have automation recording (AUTO lit) ON you will replace the recorded modulation.

It's actually pretty cool to have 2 layers once you wrap your head around the concept.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. StarSMASH

nope. I don't know what it is, but i have to just keep playing around and toggling it for it to play how i want. I guess it doesn't really matter until i export it so it's whatever.
    i didn't know that information about the outer gray area! thanks!