1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Phase DJ with Traktor

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by dannybyrne29, Apr 15, 2019.

1. choppington

choppington New Member

you maybe right about traktor timecode requiring more relative info. Just commented on KSWIZZ on insta asking if he had any bpm drift on serato - he said no. He may have got a better set of phase being a VIP but it's a little telling

2. choppington

choppington New Member

Had a response from phase about traktor BPM drifting -

Alice (MWM )

Apr 29, 11:36 CEST

Hi there,

Indeed, we're working to solve this issue for Traktor on our next firmware. We are aware of the issue and are doing our best to resolve it as fast as we can.

Please do not hesitate if you have any other question.

Thank you for your support!

Best,
    Alice, Phase Team

[​IMG]
    rob

Apr 23, 19:47 CEST

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the response. I hope you get the calibration issues resolved as I really enjoy the product.

Re the tempo drifting up and down, this is fairly severe in traktor compared to the control vinyl. Is this something that will be resolved by calibration too or is this due to the timecode itself in phase and do you have any plans to work with traktor and get their official timecode?

Thanks,

Get Outlook for Android

• Like Like x 1
  3. ScalpSquad

ScalpSquad New Member

It is a blast to play with, for me, the bpm thing is annoying, and can be worked around...but, it should not have to be worked around. I am positive once Traktor allows calibration, this issue will be resolved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mr.Positive

mr.Positive NI Product Owner

IF it allows, IF

5. Scratch-E Con

Scratch-E Con NI Product Owner

...and WHEN. Looking at NI's track record when it comes to Traktor releases I would be surprised if this will be implemented before end of 2019.

6. choppington

choppington New Member

Update coming end of July. Will be interesting to see how it affects traktor.
    This was on the serato forum -

Firmware Update:

WHAT WILL THE FIRMWARE UPDATE CHANGE?
    We’re currently in the last weeks of finalizing the development of our first firmware update. At the end of June, we will launch a limited beta testing session to collect feedback before releasing the official version. We are then expecting the public release for the end of July 2019.

Here are below, the main improvements already completed in-house:
    1. Receiver
    Auto-calibration system of the Phase internal clocks. This will correct the BPM % shifts and will manually calibrate your Remotes perfectly at 0.
    Optimization of the pairing system with the Remotes to prevent disconnection
    Improvement of the USB communication to resolve connection issues
    2. Remotes
    Resolution of the security mode issues of the Remotes to prevent them from being locked in an unwilled state.
    Improving accuracy by integrating a new system of reading and processing of the captors
    Integrating a new system to improve the accuracy when calibrating of the Remotes
    Restructuring and optimizing the battery consumption to extend battery life
    3. Radio
    Improving the strength of the radio frequency to improve accuracy and stability.
    Auto-adaptation of the speed of connection according to the activity of the Remotes which will help to improve battery life.
    Algorithm with performance memory that automatically changes channels to avoid using busy connection channels. This guarantees a more stable wireless connection.

7. mr.Positive

I can already tell you that it will not affect traktor per se at all abut drift. Future updates will maybe go further, but this one will not for sure.

8. choppington

choppington New Member

Maybe not, but turning off stable bpm improves things for sure. It will be interesting to see how this compares now to timecode without stable bpm.

This may impact slightly - "Improving the strength of the radio frequency to improve accuracy and stability"

9. Jherome DeGuzman

Jherome DeGuzman NI Product Owner

BPM drift is not a big issue for me. I mean, a nudge every so often here and there on the deck is not that big of a deal to me. Besides some tracks although they appear to be in sync 100% in Traktor seem to just need to be just slightly off to sound audibly better.

I have 2 minor gripes with Phase which supposedly is going to get fixed in a firmware.
    1. Definitely the sticker drift issue. If I set the sticker to 12 o'clock and beat juggle, it better be spot on when I back spin it. Sadly, something happens sometimes where I would have to spin it back 10 o'clock. It is always further back and never forward like 1 o'clock. Must be an issue with the timecode tracking against Traktor. I would think that this can get resolved with better Phase timecode compatibility with Traktor.

2. Wish there was an on / off button on the transmitters. There is a sequence of events you have to follow to ensure that when you turn them on, they will turn on without any issues. However, if you setup for a gig and someone goes ahead of you, then your transmitters sleep or whatever, waking them up MIGHT require a software reset in the MWM Phase config tool. Not to mention waking the transmitters up in general requires you to dock them. Just a hassle because it is not quite exactly clear what you should do.

Then a side note on usage... they are thin enough but the fact that they stand up a little bit in the center makes me mentally feel like I will accidentally hit them with my hand during heavy scratching. So I am learning to always keep my hand toward the outside of the record. Again, I am sure I will adjust to this over time. That being said, I am really counting on that update to get it much closer to perfect usability.

• Like Like x 1
  10. markski

markski NI Product Owner

Looking at the main three outstanding issues with Phase DJ, I can confirm the following using the product with Traktor 3.2, an NI Audio 10 and a Pioneer S9...

1) From a general scrathcing and mixing POV it feels great BUT there is considerable sticker drift that needs to be resolved. Collaboration with NI to get a genuine timecode signal and some firmware tweaks would sort this out easily. Obviously the nature of the device means they have to to run in relative mode, but proper calibration and seeing the remotes sync perfectly with the platters on Traktor would be the holy grail.
    2) Mine also are a little out of sync regarding pitch measurement - one reads 0% perfectly, the other 0.4%. Not a deal breaker and easily corrected with a firmware update and in Traktor.
    3) UI followed the instructions and placed both of the remotes on charge for 2 hours directly into a mains USB source before any config/connection to laptop. When charged and configured, I used them solidly for a good hour and the reported battery levels on both remotes had hardly dropped. No problems with battery drain whatsoever.

11. choppington

choppington New Member

I'd love them to go with HID midi for rotational info as midi has been teased in the firmware release notes. Would be so much more convenient if this was simply outputting a midi signal via USB to Traktor. Also it will most likely kill sticker drift. But Native need to allow for HID midi mapping of rotational info which I do not think is currently available.

12. choppington

choppington New Member

Anyone done the firmware update? I did it late last night and had a quick blast. The remotes both calibrated at zero now, the bpm is far more stable - pretty much as good as the timecode vinyl, and sticker drift on my remote which was a bit dodgy is improved too judging by the quick juggle I did. Not sure if 100% no drift yet but all round a massive improvement - definitely recommend updating!

I'd be interested to find out how some hardcore jugglers fair on the calibrated remotes

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  13. Jherome DeGuzman

Jherome DeGuzman NI Product Owner

Great to hear its getting better. I bought Phase, used it for a few weeks, ran into basically all the major issues everyone has ran in to, then decided that I should just return it until it gets better. Who knows maybe even an improvement in hardware all together. So I am glad that the software is getting better but I think there are some hardware improvements that they can add to it as well like making the remotes thinner and/or narrower, on/off button, better battery, etc. etc.

14. Scratch-E Con

I've been waiting for this update. Will buy myself a pair for my birthday next month!!

15. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

Don’t rush, mate. I love the idea of Phase, but until it’s proven rock steady w/Traktor, I won’t be buying.

16. mr.Positive

New update screwed batteries life :-/

17. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

That sucks.

18. sengaia

sengaia NI Product Owner

Works fine with my old traktor version 2.10.3 in windows 7 32bit after phase firmware upgrade via windows 10 app store on another pc:)

19. Scratch-E Con

Well, I couldn't restrain myself any longer...I'll do some proper testing and share my experiences after some time.

20. Kn4llFr0sch

Kn4llFr0sch NI Product Owner

Put the needle on the record