Polyphony with Blocks

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by RobLo, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RobLo

RobLo New Member

Im still trying to wrap my head around blocks...its coming very slowly.

Why is it possible to make a polyphonic ensemble, but not in Blocks?

I know there are polyphonic Note IN modules...I thought it would be easy to patch it to a few oscillators but I cant figure it out.

Am I correct in the thinking that if a Note IN module has 4x PITCH OUT, that the oscillators have to have 4x PITCH IN?? Will not a CV Mixer module work?

I just want to be able to create a duophonic rig for the Polivoks filter module to simulate the Polivoks.

2. Brett Lavallee

Brett Lavallee Well-Known Member

Duophonic is pretty easy, just load two note in blocks and give them different note ranges. They need to affect different oscillators, as the oscillators themselves are monophonic. To use the polyphonic note in block it is the same method, connect its outputs to multiple oscillators. Check out my upload "patchwork" for a duophony example.

3. RobLo

RobLo New Member

But doesn't that just split the keyboard?? I see how it gives2 voices...but its not truly duophonic as both oscs arent triggering with one note??

4. Brett Lavallee

Brett Lavallee Well-Known Member

Correct. I think the polyphonic note in is your best bet then.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ANDREW221231

ANDREW221231 Member

i built a proper duophonic system for an arp sendup , it was ridiculous what needed to be built to get it working right in every way in every scenario. unfortunately its probably permanently fused with that ensemble, and definitely the opposite of blocks compatible

• Like Like x 1
  6. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Blocks was devised to be easy and accessible, and to sound great. Sounding great requires more cpu (in most situations), so Monophonic was a good idea, also matches its analogy of a hardware eurorack type system which is also monophonic.

But the main thing is that Reaktor auto tiles 'intruments' on the GUI, so developing Each Block as an 'instrument' and making them all the same height, and a multiple of a standard unit width means that it is very easy to organise them on screen - just drop 'em in, and they rack up nicely.
    The caveat is that at the instrument level, Reaktor is monophonic, polyphonic signals only work inside instruments, connections between instruments must be monophonic using a line per channel e.g. two for stereo - a left and a right.

It would be possible to develop some similar system as a set of macros to be used within an instrument, but there would be a bunch of extra complexity for the user relating to GUI layout (which is not Reaktors strong suit). There would also be extra complexity along with the extra flexibility of polyphonic voices. It would be much harder to build efficient instruments without a significant amount of extra knowledge that just isn't required to successfully build instruments using Blocks.

Building instruments using Primary level components and ready-made core cells is something like how Blocks would be if they were polyphonic. So maybe that is what you need to look at (it's really not that difficult - just a lot more difficult than Blocks)

7. RobLo

RobLo New Member

Yes, I've discovered this is just not going to be easy....

I've figured an ensemble would probably be the only option. I'd there a comprehensive tutorial or resource for primary??

Or , even better (and hopefully), an ensemble tutorial from start to finish??

8. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

can't you use a note in, and give change the "priority" setting to high, and then create another note in and change the priority to low?

should work.

9. ANDREW221231

ANDREW221231 Member

that works for most intents and purposes. if i recall correctly, in certain cases it didn't behave the way, say, oddity would. reaktor weirdness would ensue in certain weird cases and once you fix that something else goes buggy

the final version that i got working 100% has not been published. you can search the ul for the arp iliad for a quick fix, but if you're trying to get the functionality separate from the synth that was built around it, i'd probably have to scalpel it out for you, its kind of all over the place with weird crap like porting in extra voices from a separate instrument to keep it from sending a note off if two keys were held down and one released. let me scope it out. it shouldnt be too bad maybe

• Like Like x 1
  10. RobLo

RobLo New Member

I'm going to D/l it for reference, thanks.

I've decided to just go the ensemble route anyway. I've toyed around with Synthedit before and it's similar, so shouldn't be too hard...just need to put aside the time to throw at it.

11. ANDREW221231

ANDREW221231 Member

thats the way to go as far as i see it. with blocks, with everything being connectable, its easy to fall into a rut of just trying to come up with the coolest way to hook it all together and waste a bunch of time. in an ensemble workflow, if things are connected one way or another its because that's what you intended.

plus, though not many people seem to attribute value to it, i get a lot of mileage out of being able to crank up the voices in a single ensemble. polyphony doesnt have to be just for more polyphony, it can be used for parallel processing with which you can move around, shift voices arbitrarily to effect other voices which can be used as some kind of modifier deciding which voices you want to have active somewhere downstream. primary is optimized for insane voice counts, which you can push even more if you're good with event tables

anyways, enough of that. it was pretty easy to strip down. i don't know if it was necessary to be this complicated, but it definitely does the bit. included also is the envelope workaround too. the actual proper signal path is all monophonic, even though the ensemble is 2 voices. anyway

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1