Praise To N.I.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by djbrown15, Feb 15, 2017.

1. djbrown15

djbrown15 NI Product Owner

I've purchased and tried Ableton Live and I've purchased and tried the MPC. None of them comes even close to the simplicity of the Maschine workflow. Of course we can take features form both and add them to Maschine which would make Maschine elite but you cant deny that Maschine for production is probably the best out now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

For sketching ideas quickly? Maybe. For live performance? Sure. For production from start to finish? Yeah right. I guess that's your opinion though so fair play I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

I've owned all the previous MPC's, with the last one being the 4000. Creating projects from start to finish was easy as hell. Tracking from the MPC to mixing literally took seconds.. arranging and creating patterns in the box was just as simple.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Eddie Jag

Eddie Jag NI Product Owner

I agree that for sketches it might be the fastest and best. Good luck at transferring whatever sketch you made into a DAW, writing automation, mixing etc. As soon as you have one leg in a DAW it's PAINFULLY slow. Standalone works the best, but it has massive limitations. If they made it so I could get in and out of standalone within a few minutes, transfer to the DAW quickly, and run a long as a plugin if I need added parts later on; it would be the best. Still a long ways to go though. DAW integration is the main thing that holds it back in my eyes.

• Like Like x 5
  5. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Now your talking.. song mode , muting tracks , routing list goes on

• Like Like x 1
  6. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

NI must have given him a free expansion for this crazy post... wow

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

yup, i can :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Haha.
    Can totally deny that all day long...
    :D
    All night too actually...
    :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoy it. What genre's do you produce with it?

10. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Is this another alias for you, Skins?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

lol u know what I think ur right

12. Concretezebra

Concretezebra New Member

Wait...what? Just Export Sounds which is super fast and drag the stems into the arrange window of your daw. It takes me 45 to 90 minutes to produce arrange and mix a track with masculine and studio one...

• Like Like x 2
  13. djbrown15

djbrown15 NI Product Owner

Its just my opinion guys. We always see the negative. I think they do warrant something positive. As a business man, I don't know why they don't listen to their fan base and consumers more though. I still stand by my opinion.

14. Eddie Jag

It depends on how involved you get inside of Maschine. It's a huge catch 22. The more you start diving into the software the harder it becomes to dive out. Exporting by individual tracks bypasses any group level mixing (plugins, pan, level). You also have to deal with the constant turning off and on of loop optimize depending on what you are doing. So assuming you have a simple 1 group pattern with absolutely no mixing on the group stage, it would be simple to export using that method. Usually when I'm in this creative stage in standalone I will have anywhere from 5 - 8 groups. I will already be mixing and adding effects creatively to make whatever Im doing sound good. So trying to get a complex sketch sounding the way you had it in Maschine all tracked out in your DAW is not as easy. You'd have to figure out what pads you are actually using and check each box for sound outputs, not a problem with one group, but with 8 it's annoying. Maschine should have an auto detect for selection of sound outputs at export. You'd have to import everything, and then attempt to regroup things, and route them back into a Maschine Fx plugin to do group level mixing. Then you have to attempt to draw out an arrangement. I think songmode will fix a lot of this hopefully. Because you would have to put Maschine on an empty scene while in a DAW or all the other workarounds. Simply have it follow inside the sequencer. Now the last part of my comment is building inside Maschine as a plugin while in a DAW. If they fixed the midi routing issues, made at least 64 midi outs, made a quick midi route mode that would route 1-64 any pads being used, made song mode, had an auto detect for sound outputs, and finally be able to drag midi back into the plugin (just like you can drag out into your DAW); then finally this process would be MUCH faster. It's only a few minutes here and there. But these minutes add up. And creativity only lasts so long, before we become frustrated and move on.

TL;DR - Maschine is fast in Standalone which promotes creative idea building. This time efficiency needs to be carried over to exporting, midi routing, DAW integration etc...

• Like Like x 4
  15. Concretezebra

Concretezebra New Member

Yeah dude my tracks have 5-8 groups as well and in anticipation of group processing not transferring I do that in studio one. I always have some type of time or pitch altering fx on my busses, it works so easy in an actual DAW. Why would you even bother doing that in maschine. Just makes thing harder on yourself like you just explained.

16. Eddie Jag

Well that's what I just said, you don't even go into standalone. And you don't experience the frustration the rest of us do. The workflow that's promised is that fast standalone workflow and that's the disconnect I pointed out. Essentially you're just using Maschine as a drum machine/sequencer inside your DAW and doing all the processing in your DAW. That's fine, but that's not what my comment was on and also not the way NI promised us to use Maschine. By having Maschine as a plugin you also sacrifice a lot of things about the standalone workflow. Essentially we have a group mixer and all these cool internal plugins and effects from Maschine and the komplete ecosystem which are super fast to use internally and within the standalone. The moment you try to export that to a DAW it becomes a mess. I refuse to let the limitations of Maschine dictate my workflow. For now I'm mainly sticking to Ableton push and Komplete Kontrol. Though I'm optimistic about them fixing a lot of these issues so I can use Maschine as a sketchpad again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Concretezebra

Concretezebra New Member

No dude...I produce and arrange in standalone

18. skinswashdc

Nope. No time for that when I have the new maschine 2.6 update to experiment with using maschine studio, maschine jam, komplete kontrol plus organizing my nki presets for omnisphere 2, serum and others. But no that's not me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. skinswashdc

If you type in making beats with maschine and ableton and logic you can so many other maschine users and how they work with maschine. Might give you some tips on working faster. I also thought push 2 would remedy your situation since you use ableton.

20. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

This would be a real time saver for me.