Prehear issues in Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Young Blew, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Young Blew

Young Blew NI Product Owner

Ok, I'm baffled. I have come to the conclusion that you can only prehear samples, this sucks! Why wouldn't they let you prehear sounds as well? Some of the sounds are not even listed in the "samples" list, so it's impossible to prehear them even in the "samples" tab.

So I either have to scroll through a list of 40k plus samples to find the right sound, or go to "sounds" and pre-load each individual sound until I hear something I like?

Also, if I'm scrolling through "samples" and I find a sound that I like, if I forgot to select a pad, I now have to write down the sample name, leave the "samples" tab so that I can select an empty pad, then go back to the "samples" tab Please let me know if I'm mistaken?

If this is the case, why would they make the workflow so odd like this? We should be able to prehear sounds, as well as load samples from the "samples" tab.

2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Why not just play/load a basic string of notes to a Sound and just go through loading presets you want to audition? Most stuff really doesn't take that long to load.

The sample pre-hear function is essentially just a basic sample player and Sounds are not only samples - they can include plugins and effects, so just a sample player wouldn't cut it and you'd likely still have to wait for it to load anyway (it would just be in the background).

• Like Like x 1
  3. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Preahear is strictly a "sample" prehear function. The reason it works is Maschine is able to stream the samples from disc. Of course it can't prehear a sound which can have a bunch of vst effects, routing, a third party sampler that needs to load samples in order to be able to playback etc. Remember a sound consist of all instruments, sound settings and effects for that sound.

Like I have sounds saved that have Machfive 8gb pianos along with IK amplitube and some eq and a compressor etc. No way that you could "prehear" this until Maschine was able to first wait until Machfive loaded all the needed samples and load the vst instruments and settings etc. Keep in mind that you can always undo what you load and Maschine will unload the whole sound and bring everything back to the state before loading. So you essentially get a sound and group prehear just by using undo.

You are mistaken. With prehear on the pad you selected before entering browse is locked so you can audition the sample from the pads and play it with the kit. This feature allows you to play the sample from the pads with your kit before loading. To select the target sound for the current sample, just hold select and choose the target pad before loading. Or, you can disable prehear by pressing the preahear button so that you can freely select the destination pad to load to.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Maybe NI should include a sample or a midi clip that plays when you are selecting sounds. That would be nice. Though if they were to do a sample it would probably inflate the library 3 times bigger than necessary for very little benefit. So to the OP tap a note or chord in a pattern, press browse and go to town.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Young Blew

Young Blew NI Product Owner

Thanks all. The fact that most sounds have effects on them, that would have to load anyway, makes sense. I didn't look at it like that.
    I am also trying to work from the hardware, without looking at the software so much, so some of the things that were going on, I didn't even realize. With such a great community of people willing to share info, I'm going to get it one day.

And "B-righteous", thanks bro. It took me like five or six reads to really grasp what you were saying. I think I asked too many questions at once. I'll do one at a time from now on.