1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

PresetMagician: Generate NKS Presets from VST plugins

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drachenkatze, Nov 10, 2018.

1. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Hi Drachenkatze, grabbed it and unfortunately it crashes as soon as it reaches the Korg Legacy Cell when doing the scan (Win 10 pro).:)

2. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Yeah crashed for me too at about 25% (any debug log)? and out of the 40 odd plugins it did scan, zero were supported. It did say AnalogLab3 had 129 presets but that would be the empty preset list it does not utilise.

Most plugins do not use the "exposed preset list" which you would need to somehow solve for this to be of any use unfortunately. Any ideas on how that would be done?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

So this will be windows only?

4. Drachenkatze

Drachenkatze NI Product Owner

As a workaround, you can temporarily remove the DLL from your VSTPlugins. If you don't want to mess with your VSTPlugins folder, which I completely understand, you can simply create a copy, place it anywhere (I put my test VSTs in a folder in My Documents), and remove the DLL there.

Debug logs or a crash handler will hopefully be in the next version. The preset list is populated after the plugins are scanned, so if it crashes during scan, the preset list will be empty. Workflow is:

• Click Scan VSTs, wait until completion
    • Select the VSTs to export preset lists from, then "Scan presets"
    • Select the VST presets to export (default: all)
    Yes, by individually researching each plugin how they store their presets. I can't promise that each plugin will be supported, but those I own as well as those I wish to buy are mostly relatively easy to extract. Good news is that most vendors re-use their preset management for each plugin; I did research the system of D16 Group so far and it's very similar for both PunchBox and LuSH-101.

Problematic plugins are these where a public demo is not available :(

Unfortunately yes.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  5. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

That is basically the issue everyone has that has tried to make this kind of tool and probably the one thing people need to be aware of, that there is a chance it just will not read presets for many plugins out there. Might be an idea to list the plugins you have it working with because I have tested it on about 20 plugins 1 by 1 and only managed to see presets for Sylenth (but no idea how additional banks would be accessed). Tried on Air, Cableguys, Spectrasonics as a starter.

Every plugin (as you would undoubtedly know) has a different way of managing its presets, there is no standard to work from these days. Some can be read very easily (the method you are using at the moment), some can have FXB/P files parsed, some have SQL database or simple XML database and some have none of these and instead have proprietary databases buried within the plugin itself with no way to read at all. I had a user years ago developing what he called "NKS Toolbox" or something but after months of hassles and complications making it work reliably for even a handful of plugins (without scripting a method for each individual one) I believe it was abandoned. We also have the Jhology scripts from years ago but again, worked only for a few plugins and not at all user friendly. I've seen (and attempted myself) tools to try and make this more simple just for myself but with the VST "standard" being a complete mess and most devs making up their own rules, the time it takes to solve these problems is almost infinite and kind of gave up on any kind of universal tool and develop a unique method for each plugin which makes things a lot easier code for, but only useful to me personally and only on a plugin by plugin basis.

Will be interesting to see what can be done but I have a feeling the same bottlenecks will be hit in that to support plugins you will need to own them yourself.

6. Drachenkatze

Yes, my plan is to allow the user to submit their plugins which cannot be parsed to a database,so I can prioritize.

Yes. Most of the plugins I have looked at so far use a sqlite database, some use a zip file (like D16 group) and others use something completely unknown (like the Image Line plugins). I actually like the challenge and reverse engineering that stuff, so the goal is not to make endless amounts of money, but rather curiosity, learning and hopefully getting at least partially compensated by selling PresetMagician.

Yes, it is. Even VST3 doesn't make much of a difference there.

Yes, I'm also curious how far I can push this. Everything I developed so far was born out of curiosity or personal needs, and learning new things or finding solutions to a problem always has been my biggest motivation. I mean, I haven't coded a single line of C# 2 weeks ago, (but almost 30 years of experience developing software, yes I started with age 10 ^^). As I use GNU/Linux is my main operating system and Windows for music and gaming, I didn't really write any windows app so far. Getting used to the tools, infrastructure and C# was really an enjoyable experience - never thought I'd really like C# and the .NET framework ;)

7. tempsperdu

Just wondering.....how hard would it be to modify your app to allow users to choose what folders it scanned so that any that contained dll's that made it crash couls be isolated and dealt with individually instead of having to restart the whole scanning process for all of them?

8. Drachenkatze

Uhm, you can already do that in the VST Folder Tab. You can edit the folder list and add an own one, that's how I test.

Do you actually mean excluding particular dlls from a folder?

9. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Thats very infortunate...for me....great job anyway

10. tempsperdu

Ah...I didn't realise you had to manually add the folders first in order to exclude them..I just let scan run without adding anything with the programme presumably adding the paths it found. So far I'm not getting any supported ones but it crashed at Softube Modular this time. Might not have time to do it properly till tomorrow

11. crushkd001

crushkd001 NI Product Owner

Okay Drachenkatze NI needs to be hiring you like yesterday

12. Drachenkatze

This is odd, on my machines PresetMagician does not scan anything if no VST paths have been set. Can you clarify?

13. tempsperdu

This is odd..I'm sure when I first opened it there were no paths so I just pressed scan to see what happens. It just went through the folders till it came to Legacy Cell then crashed. If I remember correctly the next time I added paths then took away the ones I thought might be problematic and pressed scan. Now when I open it up all the paths I added are there.

14. Drachenkatze

That's very odd indeed ;) I just completed a crash handler to catch problems with VSTs, so scanning should be much safer in the next release.

15. Majestic Dakim

Majestic Dakim NI Product Owner

peace. I have created a template for Maschine Studio (also can be mapped to other NI controllers) that allows FULL control of FL Studio without the use of a mouse. It has been completed now for about 3 months (i worked on it for a year and a half) and has 96 Controller pages.

16. Drachenkatze

Short update: I'll most likely release the next alpha somewhere during the weekend. Did lots of refactoring and added a system where I can relatively easily add vendor specific support. D16 Punchbox is already implemented and tested, TyrellN6 is in the works, but I can't promise it'll be ready. As I'm relatively new to the C# ecosystem, I do have a fair bit to learn ;)

17. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

You're already coding faster than NI :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

For reason there is already something really good
    http://retouchcontrol.com/maschiner/

Uwe

19. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

20. René must be Unique