PresetMagician: Generate NKS Presets from VST plugins

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drachenkatze, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Worrying... Proactive people tend to overwork and to not sleep enough during long periods untill burnout and depression comes. Sleeping is key and spread the work load on a regular daily basis , and knowing to stop and preparing the following day without being afraid to loose your ideas is another.
    I sincerely hope she is fine and be back around soon enough to keep improving her project to 1.0 and be rewarded for her hard work.

2. compactus

compactus NI Product Owner

Any news anyone?

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

She's easy to find on twitter where she is still active so perhaps ask there, politely... I won't as I would feel I like I would be invading her privacy and I dont use twitter anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Toners

Toners NI Product Owner

Is this project still alive? I would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.

5. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

See, https://presetmagician.com/

René

6. Toners

Toners NI Product Owner

Well, the lack of any information on the website was the reason I asked on the forum :rolleyes:

The last update was dropped at 0.9.0 Beta (2019-06-27). No further info there...

7. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Yes..such a great project... Shame...

8. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

I think she's concentrating on her other projects. It would be nice if she just informed us what the status is.

9. DigitalMechanik

DigitalMechanik New Member

Here nothing happens, unfortunately, on this side. However, I am also disappointed that here no info of the developer will leave. If the works opposed, uncompletedly, shifted, etc., it is worth to information ihe community, or?. Particularly as the developer on other sides is active. Pity. This I would not really have thought from Drachenkatze. For me PresetMagican is topically r.i.p.

10. Toners

Toners NI Product Owner

Maybe Drachenkatze felt bullied by the forum!? Not by me for sure.

11. D-One

What do you mean? We would never allow cyberbullying here, everyone praised Felicia for her efforts afaik.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toners

Toners NI Product Owner

I know. I just got an odd impression or feeling reading through this thread, that people were maybe putting too much pressure on her? My opinion is irrelevant, the important thing is how the Drachenkatze took it. The sad thing is that we can only speculate on that matter now. As she is not here any longer.

13. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

She has other projects that she works on, probably of higher priority. It would have been nice, as a paid user, if she would have sent us a status notice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

It would, I was concerned about her and sent her an email via support to ask if she was OK months ago to no reply. I hope she is but I'm also concerned that she has seemingly dropped any concern herself for any of her supporters.

15. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Hard to take but it's what it looks/feels like indeed...

16. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

The issue would appear that the task was just WAY too complex to even attempt in the first place for a single person. This would make about the 4th or so attempt at an "all-in-one" tool to export NKS files from instruments and while it made it further than the attempts I have seen in the past I also know there are way too many complications to make it actually viable as a solution. The issue is simply every plugin vendor has a different format to store and recall presets. Some use a common method while others a proprietary one. Even though I have worked through 150 instruments myself, I have to approach every single one from scratch and every single one has a dedicated script and a different method to get the required info... impossible to make into a tool that would suite "all" plugins as most of them I don't even read the preset files directly anyway.

It was probably started in good faith and with a lot of hope but the amount of work involved, the huge challenges and the fact that when you start to charge people for something you basically create a level of expectation from what you deliver and without some management for that it can easily become overwhelming. Some users can be rather demanding and rude when it comes to what they expect and having to deal with all of that can be draining in itself.

I feel a bit of a mistake was giving the impression this tool could "do it all" and would work for everything out there. I was rather skeptical off the bat with the claims of what it would be able to achieve knowing what I know and did offer her some fair warning in the first few pages of this thread about the tough road ahead but was interested how far it could be pushed. Even the challenge of reverse engineering existing NKS files is a challenge since they appear to be encrypted with binary data and not just JSON data. NKS files are actually easy to create from preset files as they can be written using plain JSON data with just the plugin data chunk tacked on the end. I know one big request from users was to allow editing of existing files which was probably not easily possible.

It is disappointing tho that complete radio silence is the end result especially for users that paid for it. I am sure that explaining the challenge and informing users about the development would go some way to helping people understand and again, when you have people that financially supported the project there is a bit of onus on the developer I feel to at least inform them that the project is being discontinued, on hiatus or otherwise just to at least ease the feeling that it was just a cash grab kind of project.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

This is definitely a nice tool to have but unachieved.

on another hand, things would much more user friendly if you could simply rearrange knobs and pages through the Maschine software. Doing the mapping is quite easy , just take a bit of time, even more if you realise you got it wrong on page 17 and need to delete everything back to the last mistake or at best try to get away with few cut/copy/paste. Being able to drag things around would be a time saver.
    But this tool is a very nice way to quickly create previews for supported plugin. just amazing. Would be ideal to have this to work for Reaktor and Kontakt, life would be so much spicier.

Anyway like many I supported that project that really deserve to exist and brought to a large audience in its achieved state

18. dasoli

dasoli NI Product Owner

Please don't forget that she said she was sick.
    So it might be too much for her.
    Stress and pressure are unhealthy for people like us.
    Please have understanding for it.
    (Google translation)

19. D-One

The project being in a hiatus is fine, especially if it's health-related but whats sort of strange is the silence especially when money is involved... I've bought a license and i dont even use windows, I just wanted to contribute. Having a dev on the forum that corrects us when we say stupid things was also pretty cool. So I am sad to see her go, not angry tho.

It doesn't seem that complex to be honest, she was able to do a lot in a small amount of time, all alone while also doing other personal projects... the main issue is the different methods used by different companies that JesterMgee mentioned. If there was a method in place where users / other devs could implement their own set of rules for PresetMagian to use for specific plugin format/methods that problem would be solved, or least would help relieve some of the burdens.
    I do agree that supporting every plugin is the world can be unrealistic or too high of an ambition, but even if limited to only the most popular instruments I think the software would have a great future while NKS is not fully adopted by the industry. And let's not forget the software does other cool things like creating auto previews as Kaldosh said, thumbnails, etc...

Reverse engineering the data is not that hard for experienced developers, it has been done for virtually all NI formats even how the controllers communicate with the software and drivers has already been reverse-engineered and that's a far more complicated task afaik.

Indie solo devs tend to jump from project to project depending what's exciting for them to work at the moment, i've seen many code stuff for maschine when they buy a controller and are excited about it than a year later move on to the next new thing... maybe that's what happened.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Drachenkatze

Drachenkatze NI Product Owner

Short update: After a collapse a few months ago, I had to reduce stress as much as possible. I've had hoped that I would get better, but I didn't.

Plan is to release PresetMagician as open source very soon.

I'm sorry that I didn't respond earlier, but I simply couldn't do it. Right now my hands are shaking as it breaks my heart having to abandon yet another successful software project.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2