1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

PresetMagician: Generate NKS Presets from VST plugins

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drachenkatze, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Drachenkatze

Drachenkatze NI Product Owner

2. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Crashes for me with Korg Legacy Cell, no error, just crash and close of program. Removed that and tested again and it freezes with Lethal, no error just stops and cannot cancel operation, requires 3 finger salute.

Log just shows last entry:
    Code:
    Loaded Lethal.dll, attempting to find presetParser
    Method: 'IVendorPresetParser GetPresetHandler(IVstPlugin)'. Line: ~46. Resolving PresetHandler for plugin Lethal Audio Lethal (1214335025)
    Method: 'IVendorPresetParser GetPresetHandler(IVstPlugin)'. Line: ~69. Using PresetHandler Drachenkatze.PresetMagician.VendorPresetParser.StandardVST.FullBankVstPresetParser for plugin Lethal Audio Lethal (1214335025)

3. Drachenkatze

Hmm, usually an error reporting dialog should pop up. If that's not the case, the crash is so severe that not even the crash handler could run. Unfortunately I don't have Korg Legacy Cell and there doesn't seem to be a demo version around :(

Maybe there are some clues in the Windows Event Viewer? Usually under the node "Windows Logs -> Application".
    I just requested the Lethal demo version and I'll see if I can reproduce it. For both issues: You can submit the logs to https://support.presetmagician.com if you like. They can be found in AppData\Roaming\Drachenkatze\PresetMagician and/or in AppData\Local\Drachenkatze\PresetMagician.

4. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

being able to set the key for all selected presets at once before export would be great. Also being able to select/deselect a bunch of preset at once like in previous version
    Also, the program seems a bit messy with adding/removing vst path for some reasons

5. Drachenkatze

Yes that's on my list as well :) Unfortunately it seems there is still a bug with the key, even though C5 is default, everything is exported as C3. Need to look into that.

Can you clarify what you mean by "messy"?

6. Frankknuck

Frankknuck NI Product Owner

This looks cool.

Can this create presets for effects plugins? And how do I know if a VST is a part of "VST programs standard"?

7. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

It's like it's stacking folder path in the list. I originally set 3 path, but the list got longer. When removing unnecessary path in settings, even if they are deleted from the list they come back again and rescanned

8. Drachenkatze

Not yet, only instruments are supported right now. You know if a VST is a part of the "VST programs standard" is if you load it in Maschine and drop down the little "Preset" arrow, and if there are programs listed, then it uses programs. Unfortunately, most plugins these days don't.

9. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I could successfully export korg ms-20 with audio previews. I could see a preview folder with ogg files and tested in Maschine, all worked fine. Then I tried g-sonique Neurofunker which is a rompler. 147 presets were detected, nkfs files generated ok but previews didn't work. I could check the previews folder during the export and could see that when scanning the presets, the preview was generated as a wav file but immediately deleted from the folder. Maschine could load nkfs file fine but no preview available

10. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I note its only able to deal with the factory presets but not third party presets

11. Drachenkatze

I need to test that, I have hunch why that's being the case :)

Can you see if there is anything in the log (enable debug please)?

Hmm, for which plugin?

12. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

All of them... Is there a proper way to add presets banks to a plug-in?

13. Drachenkatze

Oh, you mean plugins which use the programs standard - yes, that's not implemented yet. Need to figure out a way to do it. How do these plugins implement their additional banks? Via .fxb files?

All specialized plugin handlers (e.g. D16 Punchbox, u-he plugins) support loading of user banks if they're in the standard paths. If that shouldn't be the case, can you open an issue on https://support.presetmagician.com/presetmagician ?

14. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Yes fxb files, there is actually 4/5 additional banks on korg website.

Will check all that tomorrow, my time is up!
    Thanks for this very promising work!

15. Drachenkatze

That should be do-able :) Added it to the bug tracker: https://support.presetmagician.com/presetmagician/issues/PUB-31

Thank you for helping testing!

16. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Hope you're feeling better now.
    Scanned Plug Ins OK but crashing when I try to do Analyse Plug Ins when it reaches Korg Legacy Cell at the moment. Would it be difficult to make some way of marking problem plug ins as to be excluded from being analysed?

17. Drachenkatze

Actually there already is - in the top toolbar, you can disable the plugin ;)

18. tempsperdu

Oh you must mean that button that says Disable Plug In that releasing my inner imbecile made me miss....doh!
    OK......seems ATM Preset Magician really doesn't like Softube. After crashing every time it came to analyse one I disabled them all.
    On the plus side it did seem to find and export all the NI and Korg presets (instruments only and excluding Korg Legacy Cell)
    Do you want any log files??

19. Drachenkatze

Not right now, I got access to the Korg instruments via a friend and might be able to find out why it's crashing. Assuming the Softube plugins run fine in DAWs, I might be able to find out what's wrong with my VST host implementation.

20. tempsperdu

No problems with them so far in Reaper, Cakewalk (in theory, still trying to work that one out) or MuLab