Question Maschine MK3 or Studio?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by KeVInside, Feb 13, 2019.

1. KeVInside

KeVInside NI Product Owner

Hi forum...

I want to buy a Maschine Controller, but for me, the question is...MK3 or Studio...
    I know, this quesiton popped up many times.

But i am really unsure...
    So my question is... How are the new Features of Maschine (Lock function and more) integrated in Maschine Studio...
    cause Studio is made for Machine 2.0... but the new features of the actual version are integrated with dedicated buttons in MK3.
    How is it with Studio. I don t need the audio interface of the mk3, cause i use my own Interfaces.
    The jog wheel of the Studio seems nice. Is the Joycoder of the MK3 a adequate replacement.
    The additional Buttons of the studio are great. Anybody here with both...mk3 and studio...
    What are the differences in workflow...like undo, copy and co. Is it a big downside to use these functions with the shift button of the MK3.
    And which pads are better in quality; Studio or Mk3?...
    Is it a big advantage to have touch sensitive potis (mk3), instead of the normal Potis of the Studio...
    Whats better with finger drumming (mk3 or studio)...

Many questions... I hope someone can help me to decide the right maschine for me...

Thanks

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I only own studio and it has also touch sensitive encoders. If you don't plan to go on the road wit it I would buy a used studio and the crossgrade to komplete. With studio you also reach every function with ease. But let's see what others with both have to say.

Uwe

3. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

I only own the studio but can tell you that I think I would really miss the jog wheel, which I use a lot. It has a nice feel to it.

I also use the volume section on the top right a lot, if I am adjusting a plugin and have to change the volume of the sound I'm working on.

The copy, clear, paste, note and edit buttons I use a lot also.

So I am happy with the studio, but a lot has to do with workflow I think, and which functions you'll use.
    Also, I started out with the studio and am used to it. I probably could get used to the mk3 also.

Don't think there really is a wrong choice

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes correct I also use the volume section a lot I definitely would miss it.

5. KeVInside

thanks

strange in the specs, NI says, that the encoders of the studio are definitly not touch sensitive...

As NI says in the comparsion chart of Maschine...
    Studio : 8x endless rotary knobs, 1x volume knob and an ultra-precise big jog-wheel
    MK3 : 8x touch sensitive knobs and a 4-directional push encoder

6. dasoli

dasoli NI Product Owner

MASCHINE 2.2 unlocks MASCHINE STUDIO’s touch-sensitive knobs....

7. KeVInside

Oh Thank you for the information...

8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Heres the Juice:
    • Some new functions haven't been added to the Studio, not for lack of specific buttons but because... well no one knows, personally I think this will happen more and more so the MK3 is more future proof for those who care about new upcoming features.
    • The MK3 doesn't need external power its works off just USB, the Studio needs the power brick thing.
    • The MK3 Pads are bigger but need a tiny bit more force to activate, the Studio is more sensitive in terms of minimum required actuation force, which is better is relative but the difference is so small it shouldn't be a major deciding factor.
    • The Mk3 layout is an upgrade, it's just better thought out and caters to new features better but in exchange you lose some dedicated buttons, but also gain others, hard to say which is better.
    • The Studio has a way better Ableton Template but no "remote script/advanced integration" but then again the latter was never really finished and the former was poorly ported to the MK3, so... yeah.
    • The Studio feels overly big for no reason other than looking more professional IMO, as a huge lens on a camera that does the same as a small one. The buttons are super spread out, and of course, it has zero portability by today's standards.
    That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

9. Et_Voila

Et_Voila NI Product Owner

Hello,

I'm nearly in this same case.
    I think I should go in a shop and try the MK3...

I think, there will be no difference in your workflow, nor deceptions, as you start with one or another as I understand ?
    You'll get used to it, whatever you chose.

I wonder what's the quality of these buttons...MK3 flat ones...MK2, are good I find.

Yes, the Jogwheel : I know I'll miss it if I switch for MK3, super conveniant. I'm used to it.
    Undo redo copy paste...It's a pain to me to have to do SHIFT, really (but they're not that far from Shift on MK3...)
    On the Studio : (and good point for the MK3, you have dedicated buttons for that) : Having to do a Shift+ Pad mode to go to keyboard mode, is annoying.

And, the level meter on top right: Buttons Master/Grp/Sound/Cue : I don't like the idea of losing that too.

Ayayaya...

I tend to think it's surely/maybe ''safer'', to take MK3, even of I personnaly don't need a soundcard, and prefer the Studio...

10. KeVInside

Thank you all

Another question... How does the Lock Mode and Perform FX work on the Studio without a dedicated button and the Touch Strip?

11. Et_Voila

I have Jam too : But I am a banana with it...

I do it with the studio :
    Channel mode : Lock button : 4 just over screen 1.
    Then : External lock, to stack several Lock states.
    SHIFT + Button 4 just over screen 1.

When in the ''Shift+button 4 page'' : You have the parameters on the left screen, morph/mode/time.
    You press your pads, that are lock states...

12. KeVInside

Thanks

For now, i think, i will go with mk3 and jam combo... The dedicated Buttons for the new Features in the mk3 are really good and they are missing on the studio. My Dealer says not to buy the Studio, cause they only selling the last units and they can´t be reordered from NI anymore. I don´t know, if this is true.... If NI only would give a sign, that there will be a new Version of the Maschine Stuido... Damm
    The advantages of a dedicated edit section with Jog Wheel and the volume section are obvious which are missing with the MK3...

13. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Well I’ve seen it referred to maschine studio mk1 so that would suggest there will be a mk2 :p
    image.jpg

14. KeVInside

So my result is...

The mk3 has better features for live performance. Dedicated Buttons for the lock feature and direct access to the pad mode and of course the touch strip. The studio on the other side has a deditcated Volume and Edit Section plus 32 step jog wheel... The mk3 has a modern Design with bigger Pads and Buttons.... Its still a difficult decision... I hate waiting an want to buy now, cause waiting makes me crazy and its not sure, if NI comes with a new Studio in the next weeks...Maybe at Musikmesse? I don´t know... I wished, Ni communicate new products in a better way. So you can plan the purchases...

15. KeVInside

btw is it possible to combine studio and jam together??? I mean both in the Maschine Software...
    I saw a video which stated, that only one Maschine can be used in the Software... So is it possible to combine Studio and Jam

Thanks for help

16. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Yes , you can use jam + any 4x4 controller at the same time.
    You cannot use 2 4x4 controllers

17. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

They both work fine.

Regarding Locks - in CHANNEL or PLUG-IN, the 4th soft button sets/reverts a LOCK (and the UI element shows this). SHIFT with that same button changes the button in the UI to 'EXT LOCK' which turns the pads into the lock presets for loading/saving. The morph settings are also in EXT LOCK.

Perform FX - you use a knob instead of a touch strip, with the Perform FX plugin selected (as you would when changing any other plugin settings)

18. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I'm wondering what you're referring to here - I haven't come across any..

19. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

20. Et_Voila

Really ?
    That means, if I buy a mk3, or a Studio : I will anyway have to get rid of my old Studio, that still work except nearly 3 pads (to make it short...) ?
    I remember, weirdly enough, reading it was possible, but one Maschine will have the upper hand.
    How does Jeremy Ellis, with his 2 4X4 then ?
    If possible : Is this a setup pain, buggy and so on ?
    It seems possible, it seems setup issues will get me bored as I see :
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/two-maschine.315346/
    I'm curious about that anyway...

Are some people are still doing things like so these days ?
    Like :
    2 instances of Maschine VST in a DAW with 2 different Maschines Hardware piece ?
    2 Maschines, into 1 standalone Maschine Software ? Just saw an old thing from 2012, where the guy has a template for that...well 2012...
    I see : Yes...No...Yes...No...Yes ...No....
    Or just: Give up this idea, as I'm bored hahaha and I don't need more issues for now, just playing and having fun again in a way another would be nice...

I still don't know, what to do: Maschine Studio again, mk3, or go push2 + Live as I end up in Live anyway in my case...
    I've tested the Studio template for Live yesterday, that was nice for a noob and a first timer...
    D-One said, the template's works better with Studio...Also said, MK3 is certainly better for future updates...
    I see so much complaints in here about the mk3, that makes me think, mk3 is less stable: Am I wrong ?

At the end, watching/reading comparisons, makes me more and more unable to decide, I wait.

Worse case scenario, would be to buy a Studio again, because I don't need a sound card, don't want to lose jogwheel and stuffs : 2months later:
    Studio MK3 out ! I'd hang myself.