RC24 and RC48 installer defaults for incorrect system with error message

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by ntula, Jan 16, 2014.

1. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

No refurbished computers in the dutch Apple Store :(

2. mattyess

mattyess New Member

I think this thread may have fallen a little off topic. :lol: Maybe someone should start up a new "Alternative to new Mac Pro rubbish bins" or "Apple have screwed me for the last time" or "Hell no I'm not paying $1000 for your logo on my computer case" or "Keeping 10.6.8 alive, ways to make scamware work" thread.

3. nielsdolieslager

I know right :D
    The OP did most of it though ;)

4. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

you can get them on ebay with a 30 day guaranteed for $700 / €500 for a good 2008 plus shipping.. ..

5. nielsdolieslager

So Ebay international is another option.

Just saw a new, working Hackintosh with Intel Core i7 4770K, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX, Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 3TB Barracuda, Samsung 500 GB 2x, Corsair CX750M on a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard for €1000. Guy just finished it and now had a financial setback.

6. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

Ouch - I know all about that recently. Just spent over $2000 US to get the plumbing in my house fixed

7. nielsdolieslager

Decided to go for a Hackintosh. More configuration possibilities and I could do my own repairs and part replacements.

A motherboard with Thunderbolt costs $110 more then non-Thunderbolt types. How necessary is Thunderbolt? :)

8. nielsdolieslager

the new smiley looks even sillier then the old one :)

9. januarycivil

januarycivil NI Product Owner

To say these are 'not meant to work' in 10.6.8 is not going to turn out to be supportable. I'm almost entirely certain the whole line will run as plugins. A couple of things have turned out with an unusable standalone in particular versions. But the thing of 'running them first as standalone' to ensure proper plugin registration has been the same thing.

The installers are made to not run but extracting from them if you know where to put the things provides working software. I have nothing but an assertion they are 'not meant to work', in fact everything I've tried works perfectly.

10. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

same here.. all of it worked fine.....

11. jackn2mpu

Just because you can hack things to work for you in your current configuration doesn't mean it can or will work for anyone else.

12. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

that is very true... it only takes one different audio driver or audio plug-in to throw a monkey wrench into it... even a mouse or printer driver could make it not work.. but this is true of any app...

13. januarycivil

I ran 'Pacifist' to extract .component, .vst, .app and copied them to their respective folders.
    There is nothing exotic about this. I wouldn't have asserted it if I wasn't pretty sure that they work in general under OSX.6.8. If you did this I bet it works.

There might be plenty of people that have basic problems with any number of things that I don't as well. That isn't a good argument. You have a blank assertion 'not meant to work in'. I don't believe you know this. I'm saying they broke the installers and broke Service Center in order to be rid of support tickets for new products. I have evidence, all the plugins work perfectly.

Per 'for anyone else', well, every single person I have seen in a thread that has tried it reported exactly my findings.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  14. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

if you open up the installer and read the script it was actually written to install on 10.6+, but the minimum system is set to 10.7..

15. januarycivil

It's one thing to say the things may in future be 'meant not to work' but as per 10.6.8 they work. There is nothing special about my system or skills.
    [​IMG]

16. januarycivil

Actually that reminds me, there was something I edited to change minimum system and it worked. I don't remember because I don't really know what I'm doing like that. There was a case where that edit would not save. EDIT: I remember, 'Show Package Contents' / info.plist, last line is 'minimum system', change to 10.6.8; for the .app.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  17. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

18. nielsdolieslager

Glad everything works :)
    The wonky HD in my iMac crashed a third time, now it can't see data on it anymore. Bought a Hackintosh in a G5 case yesterday, feels like I got a race car, lol. Need to put an SSD and a HD in it. Strange things happen to it, won't boot with a USB stick connected. But my Mackie Onyx connected to the onboard FW right away.
    After setting up my Hackintosh I'm going to try replacing the broken HD in my iMac with an SSD. And install Snow Leopard on it :)

19. nielsdolieslager

Just installed VEP. I hope I can get it to work on SL too, eLicenser no longer supports SL.

20. jackn2mpu

That's why I keep all my old installers just in case I need to do something like that and current installers don't support the os being used anymore.