Re-activation issues with older 3rd-party libraries

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by MartyC, Apr 20, 2018.

1. MartyC

MartyC NI Product Owner

Hi all,
    It appears that all of my older libraries from East West Zero-G and others have now sprouted Activate tags in Kontakt. Sure enough, Selecting an instrument brings up the message: "This patch cannot be loaded. Make sure that the original library is properly activated!" According to NI Service Center, the library IS activated, and the serial number is displayed; it even shows the correct path for the library.

This happened to me once before, and as I recall, there was some convoluted technique of deleting the library's PLists and removing the product from the Kontakt database, but that was long ago, and I don't recall the procedure.

Can anyone point me to the proper way to fix this? My apologies if this post belongs elsewhere.

Best,
    Marty
    iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
    Kontakt 5.8

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

There seems to be an issue between Kontakt and Native Access regarding this.

Workaround is to remove NativeAccess.xml file from your drive (search system-wide for this file). Note that this will disable/hide all newer Kontakt Player libraries that require Kontakt 5.7.3 (i.e. Strum Acoustic 2).

3. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

Had the same problem last month with a Zero-G library I bought in '06. Solution required getting new Key from Big Fish, apparently the new owner of the library. NI told me they, nor I, could do anything until I heard back from the vendor. That worked, eventually…

4. MartyC

MartyC NI Product Owner

Thanks for the info! I'll try moving the Native Access XML file off of my system disk. I review Kontakt libraries on an ongoing basis, so I'm assuming that a new XML file will be generated when I activate the old libraries and add new ones.

5. EvilDragon

No, new XML file will only be recreated if you run Native Access again. If you don't, it won't.

6. MartyC

MartyC NI Product Owner

Update: I moved the Native Access XML file to the trash, opened Kontakt 5.8, (Full version—not the player, by the way). Clicked on one of the libraries Activate tabs. As per usual, Native Access launched, claiming that the library was already activated. I put in the serial number again. NA went through the activation process, and the product remains unusable as before.
    I don't know if it means anything, but the Native Access.XML icon is the same as my Avid Application Manager, and its info read: Open With Software Update. In any event, those libraries are still useless to me.

You wrote: "There seems to be an issue between Kontakt and Native Access regarding this."

It seems odd that NI would have compatibility issues between their own products, isn't it?
    There was some other procedure that involved removing Plists and removing the library from the Kontakt database. The search continues...

7. EvilDragon

You do NOT click the Activate button in Kontakt after moving out the XML file. Instead, try running Service Center and enter the serial there if the library is shown in it as deactivated as well.

Alternatively yeah, try removing plist files related to the library as well, then reauthorize (in SC).