1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Reaktor Blocks 1.3 - Kodiak Blocks

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by loachm, Apr 21, 2017.

1. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...just saw this...

• Like Like x 9
  2. Kostas K

Kostas K New Member

Yup! These look & sound good don't they?
    Can't wait to get my hands on them

3. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...really excited about the Dual Osc and the filter. The sequencers look also really cool. It would be so great, if they'd manage to make them controllable via Maschine like they did with that Maschine Block. Either via midi like with that Block last year or via their host automation in Maschine/KK directly - that would be a dream come true.

4. Moujik

Moujik NI Product Owner

Really interesting stuff about the interface design & trying to do something other than just emulate hardware.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. mosaic_

mosaic_ NI Product Owner

I love these flat interfaces - really emphasizes the computer-centric ethos of this update. And each of these blocks looks really fun in its own right. I actually gasped a little when he showed the different looping ranges on the shift sequencer :D

6. Jonathan Tremblay

Jonathan Tremblay NI Product Owner

7. Psynapsex

Psynapsex NI Product Owner

When will they be available? Anybody know?

8. totalcult

totalcult New Member

Excited to see these! They look great. Especially looking forward to the sequencer and controller lane - they look really fun.

9. joeking

joeking NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Another preview of the new Reaktor blocks. He mentions they should be available "next month" which I assume is sometime in May.

• Like Like x 4
  11. glacierise

glacierise New Member

Hype blocks! Hooking up these sequencers to Monark would sound fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...has anyone noticed the Jam sequencer in the Ask Audio video? It looks interesting, but unfortunately no info about it.

Please, NI, focus a bit more on improving the hardware integration of the available (& future) Blocks with Maschine, Jam, Kontrol-S Series etc. The Blocks concept is really great and has some advantages over real modulars and also being able to connect them to modulars is really cool, but strictly on the software level in conjunction with NI hardware, it really falls short of in terms of a physical interaction. I don't think, it has to be that way and I believe, there are some possibities (basically improving the communication between Reaktor and Komplete Kontrol, I guess). Getting these Blocks updates for free is really great, but I would definitely buy Blocks, that offer a tighter hardware integration.

• Like Like x 3
  13. detech

detech NI Product Owner

I have been saying this for years.
    A few examples:
    You can not use Maschine hardware to control Komplet Kontrol software.
    You can not control Reaktor Blocks Clock module inside Maschine software (but you can in Ableton).
    You can not use Maschine hardware to control Reaktor Blocks Maschine sequencer.
    List can goes on....
    Many nice stuff with Reaktor but a big lack of integration with Native Instruments hardware.
    An ipad with Lemur is more useful until NI decide to remove OSC protocol from Reaktor..

Edit: On topic, i would prefer to see Reaktor 6 updates focused on support for multicore cpus and in return would gladly pay for some optional new modules.
    Without multicore support Reaktor Blocks will be forgotten in a few years.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Jonas @ NI

Jonas @ NI EDU NI Team

These blocks will hopefully be released by end of may. The jam sequencer block is very similar to the maschine mk2 sequencer block we brought to superbooth last year, using maschine in midi mode and requiring a template to be loaded via controller editor.

• Like Like x 4
  15. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...about the integration of Blocks with Maschine/KK: Every now and then I'm looking into this (I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of Reaktor, though) and I thought, even with all their modulation amounts a single Block doesn't have that many controls, so it might be feasible to map all my favourite Blocks the way I like it.

I'm also thinking about implementing dummy controls, so that every Block has a multiple of eight as its total number of controls. That way, I imagine, I can drag in Blocks and have their controls always start with a new controller page. (Another idea is using one instance of Reaktor for one only Block, using them on different sounds of a Maschine group and route everything via audio - since it's all audio rate in Blocks. But, even with the additional side-chain input of Reaktor fx to have frour mono inputs, the whole thing is quite limited and cumbersome). Anyway - what's still bothering me with my custom mappings is that the Global ID always gets in the way and the controls end up at a higher automation ID. Haven't found the time, yet, to explore that in the Reaktor manual nor did I manage to follow the tips in this thread (https://www.native-instruments.com/...omation-parameters-appear-in-your-host.25102/), but I thought, I'll post that here for anyone else, who is struggling with/interested in the same issue.

However, to cut a long story short - it would be really great, if the development of Reaktor would take care of these issues and that we don't have to do that ourselves. I think, Blocks and the NI hardware has great potential, but right now, a connection mess, that has to be managed with the mouse is, at least to me, even worse than cable spaghetti on a real modular. We all know that doing modular synthesis isn't a piece of cake, but I really think there's a lot room for improvement.

16. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...what the heck - just took some time to look at it and, as a rare, pleasant surprise, it took just a few minutes to find it out. So, if you're using your own mappings for Blocks, in Edit Mode select the Block, go to "Connect" and under "Automation" choose "Instrument up" from the "ID Action" list to put the Block's IDs before the reserved global IDs of Reaktor.

[edited because of a typo]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  17. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

,,,start your Native Access... :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

You are quick ;)

19. joeking

joeking NI Product Owner

Love the shift. Needs recolouring though.

20. digilog_

digilog_ New Member

Thanks for Kodiak, they are great... :)
    But one is missing, when the Maschine Live Block will be made available, didn't find it in the user lib. :)