Reaktor/Kontakt optional single-instrument identity, please?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Bulk, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Bulk

Bulk New Member

I love Reaktor and Kontakt. However, my biggest problem with them is remembering a) what I've got and b) where it is.

I only use Reaktor and Kontakt as a consumer, which is to say that I just use NI and 3rd-party instrument ensembles (8dio, Blinksonic, etc). I don't create my own ensembles in Reaktor, and I don't use Kontakt as a sampler because I have other samplers that I prefer.

I simply don't use R/K ensembles as much as I should because I don't trip over them in my DAW's instrument list. I'll go using bx_oberhausen when I want fat, analogue-ish trad synths, but forget Monark exists. I have various other drum-design ensembles, and those face the problem of visibility, but also memory: some are Reaktor and some are Kontakt, even though they perform the same job.

I wish I had the option of installing these as their own unique instrument ("Powered by Reaktor", say, rather than me having to load actual Reaktor and then the ensemble inside it). If I could just see their names in my plugin lists in the DAW's browser, it would be like a kind of advertising, reminding me of their existence and encouraging me to use them.

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Use Komplete Kontrol?

You should also be able to create track templates in your DAW that already have a particular ensemble or a Kontakt library loaded up...

3. Bulk

Bulk New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Not a bad idea, since it certainly has some advantages and cuts out the problem of Kontakt or Reaktor origin, but it still means opening a wrapper program to run an item and it still means that I'm a million times more likely to use some other granular synthesis device than I am Form, simply because the quickest thing to do is to dive into a plugin category in your DAW's browser and pick from whatever options you own (which is a shame! Form is awesome, when I rediscover it roughly once every 12 months). And, true, I could save the track with Kontakt or Reaktor set up with the ensemble I want, but again that's the same problem of something becoming buried unless you use it all the time. One can always blame this on the user, but any UI designer knows how important it is for the client to provide the answer to what the user wants in as few clicks as possible.

I know I'm not alone in this because I bring it up with friends and almost everyone I know reports the same issues with forgetting things are there, or I'll be telling them about something great in Komplete and they'll think they don't have it when they've owned it for years.

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Well, two proposed things you could do now, instead of waiting on something that is extremely unlikely to actually happen...

What you request is a tremendous amount of work, for really questionable ROI and exponentially increased maintenance requirements... And all that for something that is fixable on the user side by, quite literally, using the things that you have more :)