Release - Overlays, Waveforms & Browser - v1.6 - Traktor S4 MK3 Screen Mod

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by Joe121, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh NI Product Owner

2. GuyPsy

GuyPsy New Member

Although it looks fantastic, I don't think I'll ever use those little screens to browse though my playlists. I'll prefer my 15" screen for that. In fact, I'll always prefer to use my macbook screen. I just don't get the idea of using small one if you have a big one
    10x anyway for this great mod :)

3. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

My reasoning for doing this screen mod is to eliminate the need for the laptop screen. I agree they’re very small but I’m hoping to get everything displayed on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Dysfunk DJ

Dysfunk DJ NI Product Owner

Great update. Thanks

6. GuyPsy

GuyPsy New Member

As long as we will need the computer, nobody will succeed with it. Think about it... you bring with you a computer. Which screen will you prefer to use: 13/"15" or 2"-3"? I think the answer is very clear. Unless a company won't make a controller with its own HDD, OS and big enough screens, the use of computer will be inevitable and as a result of that is to use the laptop screen.
    I'll say it again: This mod is great!! But I think it should focus on things that will truly help you and not to replace the laptop screen.

7. DJ Flex I

DJ Flex I NI Product Owner

To me, browser is a great addition. If you work in a playlist, for the night, you just need to verify the right track is selected from that playlist. So, yes, only the s4 screen is enough to do this.

8. GuyPsy

GuyPsy New Member

Are you telling me that you're DJing the whole night without looking at the laptop screen at all?? Well... Sorry to tell you but I just don't believe you. If you were using the PioneerDJ CDJ-Tour1 edition I could believe you since it has a very large screen but you're not

9. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

He spelled out a very specific scenario that seems to work in his specific workflow.

Who are any of us to judge that?

10. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

I agree, I should now only be looking at the laptop screen to search.

11. Dysfunk DJ

Dysfunk DJ NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  13. gillster11

gillster11 NI Product Owner

Some people on here knocking this guy don't get it this man puts his hard work into this and gives us something extra for this controller the options are there in the settings you don't have to use them all yes certainly until N.I release a standalone controller we will all need the laptop but at least this gives us option not to look at it all the time.And I honestly believe N.I should be giving Joe a job at there hq working on future controllers as he listens to what the public want we all love Traktor and it is getting better but with Joe on board it will be amazing

• Like Like x 2
  14. Revan

Revan NI Product Owner

I don't know if i would necessarily agree that Joe is being knocked 'or' his mod, after all people are entitled to their opinions and i can't see anything derogatory in the comments.

I have used Joe's mod from day 1 and for me, and i'm sure many others is what should have shipped with the product, there are many aspects of Joe's mod that i love and for me make the experience of using the hardware more fun and intuitive.

Do i think the controller will replace the laptop screen, no, and yes the pioneer tour is pretty impressive, if you have that kinda cash to throw about.

The addition of the browser mode i think is excellent, but not something personally that i would use, why, i'm no spring chicken 'and' i struggle to read my laptop screen :) but for others it may prove invaluable, same goes with the scrolling waveforms, i think that for NI not to have thought of this stuff at a configurable level and out of the box is very shortsighted but we have someone here who is passionate about doing it and if NI were inspired by his skills then fantastic accolade for him.

I completely respect peoples opinions, so this is just my 2 cents worth - roll on the next release.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  16. zyguli

zyguli New Member

Joe. This is great! Congratulations!
    Is it possible to disable bpm info in browser though? Tracks I play have similar bpm's and I find this info redundant. And it takes space too!
    I've been wondering if it's possible to display more rows in the browser?
    And is it possible to replace remaining time with beats (beats to cue with shift)?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Thank you! I will add an option to the browser in the next update to hide both bpm and/or key info to allow more title/artist text to be shown. This could be done yes, I will also look at having beat to cue with shift of the time.

18. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

I was trying to find HQ videos of this mod, but the patreon posts are blocked unless I go ahead and donate. Anyone have a decent quality video of this mod's features?

19. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Here’s a video from the article that DJTechTools wrote, it’s the older version, the browser has since been largely improved and the waveforms now have beatgrids.

20. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

Thank you. Now I just need an S4.