1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Released: Massive X

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by Mick @ NI, Jan 16, 2019.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

How so? It's absolutely not dull.

It is spectacular how many audio-rate modulations you can do here and it doesn't break apart, nor show any sort of audible aliasing while at it. Sorry but that is completely opposite from "dull".

Oh and the GUI is sharp at any size over here.

2. GuidoPa

GuidoPa NI Product Owner

Unsharp? This is on a 4k screen, highest resolution, 100%. I wonder what is sharp for you.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. 33tetragammon

33tetragammon NI Product Owner

i am VERY VERY VERY impressed by this FANTASTIC BEAST!!!

sounds fantastic, looks really sharp, works like a dream....man, what a great workflow!!!
    i played with it for hours on end now, the sounds this thing produces is beyond any expectations i had....

this has been one HELL of a GOOD year so far in terms of creative tools.

thank you all at NI!!!! this IS 'the future of sound' GODDAMMIT!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Try restarting your Mac. Logic has had an issue for a long time now where new AU plugins don't show up until you restart. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. For me, Massive X was available in Logic immediately after installing it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tony Jones

Tony Jones NI Product Owner

In the end I forced revalidation and restarted logic twice and it’s fine now. FM8 still doesn’t work though!

6. SupaMega+

SupaMega+ New Member

I have to say, there seems to be some unnecessary hate for MX being bandied about. After only really 2 hours of play, all I can say is that it sounds amazing.

The modulation and routing is fabulous, the performers and trackers are brilliant.

Whoever said it sounds dull is just being difficult for the sake of it, or they haven't used it yet...

Sure custom wavetables would be nice, but I can live without them.

It's efficient on the CPU, it's fast to get cranking, the modulation and routing are super easy and fast to program...

My only real wishlist at this point is graphical representation of the envelopes and numerical displays of rates etc.

I certainly hope these come with updates, but in the meantime, anyone who says this isn't awesome is selling something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

Good to see you back :rolleyes:;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

It means someone took a nibble out of Mike's morning croissant :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. EvilDragon

That is actually a spectacular observation, sir! LOL. :)

10. gamacca

gamacca New Member

How sad we had to wait so long for so little! The MX presets are almost uniformly uninspiring, and the audio demos used to show off the product are generally cringe-worthy. Perhaps under the hood there is a great engine, and if so hopefully some decent user libraries will, in time, emerge.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

I tried MX it yesterday. I disagree with your on that its "ittle". But I do agree with you that the presets aren't that great compared to Super8 which blew me away right off the bat and I would up buying it on the spot. MX so far seems like a synth that one needs to go through and make your own sounds. Still tinkering with it and hope to get some more hands on time with it tonight.

FWIW. as far as CPU usage, it works fine on a old Mac Mini.

• Like Like x 2
  12. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Can we get a FAQ on how to correct ly package Massive X presets and move them around from system to system.

13. GuidoPa

GuidoPa NI Product Owner

I just opened 3 instances of Massive X in Ableton and did choose for each instance a multi-track preset. It's crazy what you can do, what the options are. This in combination with Ableton automation/modulation, Reaktor blocks and stuff from the Reaktor library and Massive it is like heaven.

Excuse me for being positive and not belonging to the horde of complainers.

For all the people that did not read the requirement of AVX. I was one of the stupid people that follwed the news on MassiveX on this forum and searched when AVX was mentioned if my PC was ok. In the game universe the first thing you do is see if you have the system requirements.

Forgive me, I'm gonna be happy with Massive X this weekend. That there is not a manual yet makes it even more fun. Some use their brains, some not...

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

User presets are in documents/native instruments/user content/massive x and you can then copy and drag to same folder of other computer

• Like Like x 1
  15. decredis

decredis New Member

I'll say this for it... as someone who hasn't really made any effort to create my own sounds with a synthesizer since I was a child with a Casio CZ-101 many decades ago, I've got further this afternoon with Massive X than I have with any other synth I've vaguely prodded at over the past few years. Whether that's because of the nature of this synth, or partly just because it was so long anticipated that I'm feeling motivated to explore it, I don't know. But I'm certainly having fun playing around with it and building things from the Init patch. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I guess the problem might be:

a) so far it's not easy to see how one goes about tagging patches (outside of using Komplete Kontrol) as the save only seems to cover author name and preset name

b) If you want to be able to create actual banks (eg for sale) it's also not clear how to create a bankname or even whether sub folders get recognised as banks for example

17. Mr. RecordBot

Mr. RecordBot NI Product Owner

Actually... I wasn't quite sure how to express it and what it is that I'm hearing. It's not exactly dull, right. It's aliasing and some sort of grunge. Not sure how much of what is intended, cause X does in fact sound super-fat without putting too much effort in it. But I'm sorry to say: I don't really like it.

Grunge, distortion, bit- / samplerate-reduction are all valid techniques but a) I don't like that it's always there, I want to dial that in as an effect if happen to look for that sound in particular and b) I doubt it is intended. After testing X on my Ryzen I already o_O at the CPU meter. On my 8th-gen i5 laptop however, I cannot use X there cause of the CPU-hunger. Aliasing + CPU hogging + VST2 = Oscillators aren't programmed at today's VSTi standards. I'm by far no VST coder but read a fair bit into the topic - it seems making high-res, clean Oscillators without hundreds of gigabytes of actual data and not overloading CPU is a difficult act. Hope they gonna sort it out and give us a clean version with optional grunge.

Also I hope they gonna add way more FX, cause right now I also cannot see where this node-based approach would make sense. I lag routes to patch.

18. EvilDragon

I hear no audible aliasing in MX. There's been a video about it but that's not aliasing what was shown on the sine wave. Aliasing shows at around -134 dB by tests from a certain user at KvR:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7443403#p7443403

Surely that cannot be considered as a problem in practice? It's not like clinically clean digital oscillators were marketed for MX like they were for Serum... so, wrong expectations perhaps?

The wavetables that come wiht MX themselves are of very high quality - they take up 711 MB of your hard drive. I'm thinking they're 32-bit floating point audio.

Massive X is no more CPU hungry than original Massive at Ultra quality over here (with both of them running all 64 voices). It's surprisingly efficient considering DSP-wise it is way more advanced than original Massive.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Nagato

Nagato New Member

Yup! I haven’t had a chance to dive into editing, yet...

From perusing the presets, I started getting song idea after song idea. I’m not talking one finger and the synth makes the song type-thing (though Massive X does have some excellent 1-finger song patches). Initial impressions: not only is Massive X a fantastic sounding synth, it spurs song creativity. Massive X works well with my 2011 i7 iMac, a bonus. NI take a bow!

20. Mr. RecordBot

Mr. RecordBot NI Product Owner

It's pathetic how NI&Partners are unable to deal with objective criticism. I have to deal with very subjective criticism, usually by people who're mostly unable to judge the quality of my work, on a daily basis. With my personal life (+ my family's) on the line, not having an army of marketing strategics, coders, designers, bookkeepers, sockpuppets and a budget of million $$$ behind me. I learned to deal with it. You should too.