Released: Straylight

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Mick @ NI, May 23, 2019.

1. KikkoAndMoonman

KikkoAndMoonman New Member

Sorry, I understand what you mean now. Was being stupid.

2. KikkoAndMoonman

KikkoAndMoonman New Member

Also, in regards to the transition section of Straylight: do we have full control over all its elements (as well as the harmony), in the sense we can essentially make our own from scratch? I'm not a fan of patches that basically compose for you :p

3. ™HC

™HC New Member

Straylight can synchronise the grain cursor to the project tempo, which means that transitioning sound will retain their peak point where you expect it. Note how the timbre of the transition is control with different chords on the keyboard. Of course, you can create your own transitions from scratch.
    Here is the part of the walkthrough, which explains this feature:

4. Chriss9mm

Chriss9mm New Member

Straylight doesn't work in Cubase (for me).
    Straylight works fine on stand-alone Kontakt. When I load Kontakt as a plug-in in Cubase and then load Straylight, it kills all Cubase audio. Trying to unload Straylight works, but still no audio. Trying to unload Kontakt puts Cubase into a non-responsive state.
    I've also tried loading a small instrument into Kontakt first (Djembe from West Africa), which plays fine until Straylight is loaded, then same effect as above.

I have the latest Kontakt (6.11) and Komplete, Cubase 10.0.20, Windows 10 Pro (latest) running on an i7 PC with 16G ram.
    So far, Straylight is wasted money for me, it needs to work in my DAW.

5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Maybe try playing with Cubase's performance options like ASIO guard etc.

6. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

is this similar to "grain delay" or "grain stretch" fx feature that came with my komplete 12 UCE?

7. EvilDragon

Not quite, no.

8. Chriss9mm

Chriss9mm New Member

- Straylight does not like playing into mono output channels - I changed the output config to stereo out and Straylight came good and everything worked as it should. Still, should work in mono...

9. thegreenman

thegreenman NI Product Owner

The way granular syntehsis is used here seems different to what one can do with time machine.
    Especially those Cursor Position/Scan/Jitter things interest me. Its no surprise Kontakt can do it and it reminds me a bit of how Granulator by Robert Henke does it. Maybe im just overlooking something simple, but how can I program something similar in an own instrument - so that I can use an own sample for the granular synthesis?

10. thegreenman

...i saw they allow position modulation in wavetable mode, but this doesnt sound like wavetable. Are there additional options for the source when using "Creator Tools"?

11. EvilDragon

No, Creator Tools doesn't do anything like that.

12. Hoofz

Hoofz New Member

I love Straylight ! Absolutely gorgeous.

Unfortunately, as has been alluded to, it doesn't work well with Cubase. I have a very well specced MacPro system and not had any plug-in issues in the past. Straylight has been a problem. In Cubase 9.5 it was workable. Would drain resources but the GUI remained smooth. In Cubase 10 (including the latest update), Straylight - once turned on - reduces everything to a crawl, the Cubase and Straylight GUI becomes jerky and sluggish to the extent it is unworkable. I have informed Steinberg about this.

Messing with the audio settings doesn't make any difference.

It is unfortunate, but with Cubase 10, I am no longer able to use my new favurite plug-in. :(

EDIT: Update! I just discovered something. In Kontakt, if you click on the spanner to go into edit mode in order to get away from the main yellow Straylight page, then all is smooth in Cubase. However, if you wanna mess with anything on the main Straylight page it is virtually impossible due to it's slowness and jerkiness.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  13. corbo-billy

corbo-billy NI Product Owner

So Steinberg may not be responsible and you should rather advise Native Instruments .

14. Hoofz

Hoofz New Member

I don't know who is responsible for I am only a lowly composer.

Thusly, I aim to advise both parties.

15. thegreenman

Evil Dragon, I read Creator Tools 1.1.0 and Kontakt 6.1 scripting allow new Waveform drawing mode.
    So to me it looks like either Straylight uses Wavetable instead of Granular sound sources (this would explain why they talk about samples that can be used for granular synthesis while others cant which surprised me) or all granular engine stuff is only programmed in scripts and cant be seen in the instrument editor (cant really find any groups in there that use any other engine than sampler).

16. EvilDragon

Straylight just uses samples, it doesn't use the wavetable oscillator at all. The new drawing modes are applicable to ui_waveform, not ui_wavetable.

Granularization in Straylight is done completely in scripting.

17. thegreenman

i thought so but i find it a little bit sad that this opens a bigger "gap" between the scripted products and the instrument editing.
    For me touching scripts is another world than patching or editing instruments.
    If such a thing regarding the overall sound generation is possible with scripts, then I wonder why we dont have it in the instrument editor - or as a patch where you can load your own samples.I mean there were always gaps between scripted instruments and kontakt for users without scripts and i was wondering why there was no better step sequencer or easy .mid file im/exporting, but...
    this is a new dimension/level

18. CrewOpps

CrewOpps New Member

I thought I might update users on Straylight performance on smaller than suggested system requirements.

My setup

Mother: ASUS Z270-A
    CPU: i5 7600K @ 3.80Ghz (Not Clocked)
    RAM: Cosair Vengence 32gb
    DAW: Ableton 10.1

CPU usage on one track with no other tracks being used on 30 or so patches I tried vary between 18>28% no dropouts, glitches or ui issues.
    CPU usage on a set with NI Battery, 2 x subtractive synths and Ni Polyplex. 18>28% No Change, No Crashes

Just a quick test to show that actually I am finding no issues even though of course it is fairly heavy on CPU usage, the interface and overall performance is acceptable for my uses.

I took a chance, but for me it paid off.

Considering this is a 'Sugar Dusting' sampler to sprinkle here and there on you tracks, I feel some folks might want to know this.

For the record I also own Spitfire Audio Bt Phobos and that is far more heavy on the CPU and in loading times which also impact on Ableton set loading.

Regards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1