1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice
  2. You can find all the latest news on macOS 11 (Big Sur) and Apple M1 compatibility for our products here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013515618

Dismiss Notice

Remix Decks Preparation Software

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by skulpture, Mar 19, 2013.

1. skulpture

skulpture New Member

Just a thought; but how cool woud it it be to have a piece of software that had a grid of 4 x 4 buttons and 4 pages that was fixed. You could then drag and drop your samples in and colour code them for the Kontrol F1, set the loop size, volume, etc and then export as a .trak?

This would be a great utility. If I was a programmer or coder i'd have a go at it myself! I'd happily pay for such a software too!

It would mean on the bus, train, car, plane or just if you wanted to compile a track without opening the full software; you could open this preparation software and get a track or collection of samples ready.

Thoughts? :cool:

2. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

IMHO, you're duplicating what's already in TP.

When I just want to create remix decks, I simply minimize the regular decks A and B and use deck C as the remix deck and deck D as a track deck to locate loops. Then I drag and drop from deck D to deck C.

All of this is done via mouse on my laptop - so I can do it anywhere and not be tethered to external hardware. I usually also just plug in my headphones into the laptop and there's no issue.

Having another program do the same thing just seems needless.

-KLH

3. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Hmm I kinda see where a simpler remix deck creation would be helpful.
    But a software separate would be limited without the ability to use effects and filters via the loop recorder. What needs to happen and I have already started doing myself is making a mapping for proper layout and ease of use when using the loop recorder and other preparation to make a set.

Still though it is extra time and a software separate that could make the process more streamlined and have use of effects or mic input would be awsesome so +1 to that.

It is my opinion that Traktor needs secondary applications for preparation.

4. skulpture

skulpture New Member

See I dont really wanna be messing with my layout and settings whenever I want to prepare a track and stuff.

I like to open TP2 and just go... everything the same all the time. In my eyes a little utility that compiles all the loops, samples, colours and data into the .trak would be great. Then when you do open TP2; import it and your away.

I guess everyones preference will be different. :D

5. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Are you a former Serato user?
    Seems like you might be someone who misses being able to work on songs in a different mode when the hardware is not connected for analyzing, editing etc.
    Then connect hardware for normal play mode.

May sound helpful but you tire of it pretty easily.

6. skulpture

skulpture New Member

Nope. Only ever used Traktor.

7. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Ok, seemed like the only reason to be looking for additional headaches was because you were used to working that way.

One of the things that's really nice about Traktor is that all your features are always readily available and switching views is really easy to do.

Just because you change a view doesn't mean you lose a view, going back and forth still seems like less of a headache than running another app would be.

8. skulpture

skulpture New Member

Well that's your opinion really. I know you don't lose the screensets/layouts you can flip between them quite easily indeed.

But; I dont think you are looking at the bigger picture though. As the Preparation software I envisage could be on an iPad/Tablet or on a smaller computer that doesn't have Traktor. Basically portable devices that you could work on a track before loading it onto a main machine. A bit like the iMaschine app; if that could export to a .trak then we are half way there. NI already have Traktor DJ app why now remix F1 app? Its not that bizzare really.

Of course the main traktor software will always be able to create them but I compose my own stuff and I like the idea of being able to build, layer and structure one of my tracks in a separate bit of software, full screen and nicely laid out - I dont think is a 'headache' at all.

:)

9. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

After making several sets in TP v2.6.1, I'm changing my mind. Having better software that focused on this would be better than expecting TP to do it all.

-KLH

10. skulpture

skulpture New Member

Thanks for being honest and brining this thread back to life. :)

I'm not saying my idea is super amazing but I am surprised more people aren't talking about a software utility like the one i've put forward.

I spent two solid days making basic arrangements in Traktor and it was just awkward.

I Might make a mock up and send it to NI :p