1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Reverse-Playback-Bug...

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by bigbadselecta, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrien

Darrien NI Product Owner

lets hope the update fixing that bug will be released soon. brrrr

2. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

Low and behold...

I had the reverse issue and I have found out that if your equipment is not maintained then you will have problems. I am almost certain that even if you are using SSL or Torq and your equipment is dirty, IE needles, you will have problems.

I have pictures of how dirty my needles are...

I cleaned them off and TS is working beautifully now.

Please don't think that I live under trifling conditions... it's just that my TCV was not put away... and I just played the after a couple of days of not...

I know, I may be living dangerously as I have kids, but if they tear it up, I will just buy new ones... ;)

3. Darrien

Darrien NI Product Owner

ist not only about unmaintained equipment. there definitly is a spontanous reverse bug. otherwise ni wouldnt develop a bugfix for it ;-)

but yeah ....I always keep a look on my needles while playing, as this can make your tunes play backwards as well...

4. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

yup, we have to differntiate here.

big dustballs under your needle can cause reverse playback, especially in combination with wrong adjusted tonearms.

this is in 95% the case.

the other 5% spontanous reverse playbacks are adressed in the bugfix.

5. krissbay

krissbay New Member

Hi,

I don't know exactly if my problem is also the reverse bug, but it is very similar. After a while IN-Channel 3 looses signal. I checked the connections and the TT, also connected an other TT but this didn't solve the problem.
    Only switching the modus from timecode vinyl to timecode cd and back again or reconnect the audio 8 to my Macbook does help. If I don't do this, scratching doesn't work no more on the affacted side, track jumps around or even does an reverse playback.
    But could this be an problem caused by Traktor itself? Looks more like something is going wrong in the Audio 8.

6. DJ Freshfluke

see german thread, krissbay.
    your issue is totally different from the reverse bug we're talking about here.
    you have issues with a lost channel.

7. DvlsAdvct

DvlsAdvct NI Product Owner

Having this same problem

Hi guys

I know this thread is kind of dead but I am a recent owner of TS. I was spinning in my new apt last night and was getting this problem. It had happened a few times at my last place too. I used to own FS2 and it never happened.

I've cleaned my needles, dusted the vinyl (yes, I've already downloaded the 1.1 patch), cleaned things up and it still happened.

Is it just on my end?
    Jared

8. DJ Freshfluke

how did the control signal look like?
    did you try to recalbrate?

if this happens again, record the control signal and send this to NI.

9. fudduf

fudduf Forum Member

I just experienced this bug last night in a club. Deck B just started playing in reverse in the middle of the track for no reason.

I'm using a fresh install of v1.1, new timecode vinyl, new needles. Signal quality looked fine.

I switched out of relative mode to software playback mode for the remainder of the track. I was able to go back to relative mode after loading another track without issues...but I hope this doesn't happen again.

10. DJ Freshfluke

please report this to the support and write also to phil.
    find his email in THIS THREAD.

11. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

What turntables are you guys using?

I can't reproduce this unless I emulate a really really poor timecode signal.

I'm using American Audio HTD 4.5's aka OEM Turntables.

Are you guys using Tech 12's?

12. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

I thought the timecode quality would more depend on the cartridge/needle and not really at all on the tables?

13. fudduf

fudduf Forum Member

It shouldn't matter at all, but for the record (ha) I'm always on Technics with new Ortofon Nightclubs.

14. fudduf

fudduf Forum Member

I have experienced this issue a second time, again on Deck B. It seems this time there was a bit of dust underneath the needle and it did not happen again during the set after i got rid of it.

Still, it is normal for dust/dirt to collect under the needle during a single set. I'm still using new needles and new TS vinyl. Since TS reacts to this common issue by playing the track in reverse, should this not be treated as a bug? Other digital vinyl systems do not react this way. I've been playing on digital vinyl for 2 years in far worse conditions, and never had a problem like this.

Oh, and I did email Phil as instructed, he never wrote back. NI just wrote to me today, a speedy 11 days later. Their response was to make sure I was "really" using version 1.1 and that there "really" wasn't dust under the needle when this happened the first time.

This is a serious issue and it should be fixed, I hope I can "really" convince NI to do something about it.

15. djquartz

Just to let everyone know, the issue is not being ignored and is being researched and tested.

Once the problem is fixed the official announcement will be made by the official person to do so.

16. DJ Freshfluke

FS did this also, when you had dustballs under your needle. there is some certain point, where the needle just looses connection to the record. on a normal record, the tone sounds worse and worse and finally the tonearm may now slidder on the record like ice.
    on a dvs, it's usually playing backwards then. it may also be a bit dependant on how the tonearms weight is set.

but nevertheless, there should be a *force forward* mode, kinda emergency mode that forces traktor to play forward in such circumstances.

and if that doesnt work we have to checkout why. phil passes the info he gets from here over to NI, and you can be sure that this is going to be adressed, even if you get no direct answer to that...

17. rekh

rekh Forum Member

i just had this problem last friday, but only for one second ...

but it was because of dust around the needle. the time code looked like triangles instead of circles, hehehe

funny thing is that the reverse thing came in a break of a tune, and then reversed just before the beat was about to kick in, the crowd was screaming as everybody thought that was a cool effect, wohoo :)

after that the last half hour or so i used absolute mode when mixing in and then played the track in internal mode afterwards ..

18. DJ Freshfluke

lol.

a few days ago i noticed that the control signal picture really is looking odd even before it's running backwards. i didnt noticed the dust until i saw the control signal picture. tracks were running fine forwards. but the weight of my tonearm is pretty high, that influences the point of losing finally contact, too, i assume.

19. rekh

rekh Forum Member

have to bring a brush with me on my next gig, hehe ..

20. djquartz

What is everyone using for tonearm weight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.