Round Robin ?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by DA RIPPER, Jun 14, 2017.

1. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

I saw it metion in a post about adding it to Maschine. I have a general idea of what it is & have it on another device but i never use it. It seems like it would be good if I was playing live or wanted varation of sample. But if anybody had the time to explain how & wich ways they actually implement into there production, i would appreciate it thanks.

2. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

Select two sound of your choice
    Go the map grid
    Place both instruments in grid
    Set 1 sound to velocity from 1 to 67
    Set 2 sound to velocity to 68 to 127
    Get my drift use
    more sounds to your liking remember
    If you divide 127 int o 4
    You can make precise measurements
    of velocity that way

3. hi-d-ho-man

hi-d-ho-man NI Product Owner

What bilposey described has always been possible in 2.0. Round robin is where you can set two or more samples up for use on a pad or note. As you play the instrument it, shuffles through and plays a different loaded sample with each triggering.

Until Maschine gets this function if I want to do this as a workaround, I load and set up the samples in Battery and assign it's slots to pads in Maschine

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

Thankx !! for all the input

5. Olihop

Olihop NI Product Owner

Round robin and a random function for samples selection will be welcome

6. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

7. kolta

kolta NI Product Owner

sorry to ask , what do you mean when you say "Round Robin " ?

8. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...round robin or round random means that for each hit a different sample is triggered. Sample libraries for acoustic instruments work that way. For instance, wit a real drum kit each snare hit of the drummer would sound different, so in order to recreate this for a sample library multiple hits are recorded. These samples are mapped to the same midi note, but each time this note is triggered a different sample will be played. Round robin means that the sample will be played in the same sequence all the time (like sample 1-8 and then starting at 1 again), whereas in the random mode the samples will be played randomly. You can program such a behaviour in Battery.

9. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274098

Although the following is not round robin, it is one method I use to get similar results:
    Create sampled instruments with the different versions of the samples at different velocities and play/program the events in so that different events/Patterns use different combinations of the samples. Similar can be done across a Group too, if you prefer to split the versions e.g., 16 Sounds of different versions of the same snare.

As I said, not the same, but it is a relatively easy way to get similar results and inject some artificial realism into your virtual sampled instruments.

10. kolta

kolta NI Product Owner

Oh Thank you guys ! now it make sens .
    so a random style one could be achieve with Polyplex isn't it ?

11. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...could be. I'm not too familiar with Polyplex, but I think it doesn't happen automatically with each triggered note. I think, you might have to trigger the randomise sample function manually as well (and if this has been made available for midi or host automation).

12. kolta

kolta NI Product Owner

yes it can be assign to a midi note

13. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

@Mick @ NI If Round Robin as well as selecting colors of groups and pads from the controllers can be implemented in future updates it would be appreciated :)

14. 669Raccoons

669Raccoons New Member

I'm setting up my RoundRobins like showed in numerous manuals or guides in a network. I'm read Battery 4 manual 10 times around RoundRobins chapter. But my Battery 4 plays them like: 1-2-1-2-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-2-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-1.
    Someone, please, help me:) Any Ideas?

15. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I don't mean to be rude but Mick is a Community Manager, not a Developer or Product Manager what the heck can he do about your personal feature requests? If he can indeed do something then well... I have requests of my own and so does most of the forum... Anyway, the Round Robin suggestion thread dates back to 2010 so don't hold your breath on this one.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  16. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Well, to answer your question as best I can, you said it yourself, "If he can indeed do something". I don't know what this company does or doesn't do, what people on NI staff can or can't do. I don't think many of us have a clue. If you look at when the message was written, it was also around the time that there was at least some communication on the forum by NI staff, Florian one of them I believe. If not Florian, another NI staff member. Point was, it was a shot in the dark.

If something as simple as changing colors on a pad (something that came to Push 2 years ago) is a "personal" feature request, then I really honestly don't know what to say. It's hardly an unreasonable request. I'm also far from the only Maschine user who has asked for this in the past. It's also been over a year since I wrote that post and I haven't breached the topic since. This was also a feature requested in Ableton forums for Push 2 users of Drum racks and clips to more easily organize songs. It's not unreasonable to expect that a color-based sound and group sequencer like Maschine would have the same thing coming to it, especially considering how much Mashcine uses Ableton as inspiration for their own controllers and UI.

I wouldn't say your post to me was or is rude, but maybe you are getting irritated with me, I don't know, but it's really all the same to me. In all honesty, if you don't like the tenor of quality of the messages I post, just block me or ban me or whatever you like. I understand in the past you had expressed you may not like my and others negativity but I've really only expressed my personal opinions, and I think I haven't gotten into fights with anyone, and I've been pretty respectful. Do what you please.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

My bad for not reading the date, regardless of that you are overthinking my comment...
    I never said it was an unreasonable request.
    I understand its been extensively requested, I pointed out a thread from 2010 myself.
    I have no issue with the quality of your messages, most of the time I actually agree with you and enjoy reading your thoughts.
    If someone critiques one or two things you do/say it doesn't mean that person doesn't like you, no reason at all to ignore you. Even if I did dislike you (which is not the case) banning you would be an absolute abuse of power, im not that kind of person.

The reason I said 'personal' wasn't because no one else wants what you asked, I want it too, it was because you picked those two things to ask for, Imagine all the forum users do the same and pick two features and tag an Official, that doesn't make sense to me and that's why I pointed it out, nothing else. I understand sometimes I talk too much but it wasn't really that serious... next time I won't comment on similar actions and sorry if I offended you.