1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

s4 mk2 master/booth

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by canberkhepsev, May 14, 2018.

1. canberkhepsev

canberkhepsev New Member

hi there every one i just upgrade my setup s4 mk1 to s4 mk2.when i put master/booth switch to booth master became rca is there a way to change it thank you

2. canberkhepsev

canberkhepsev New Member

and is there a difference (sound level and quality) between rca and trs outputs of s4 mk2

3. EyesHockey

EyesHockey New Member

I don’t have my S4 mk2 but will be getting one in the next few months for my birthday (trying to get it early if wife approves :)).

But, if you have a correctly working unit, I would venture to say...

The TRS will be a better quality signal WHEN RECEIVED ON THE OTHER END OF THE CABLE because it’s a balanced output. Google this: balanced vs rca outputs. You should ALWAYS use the TRS output whenever possible because any interference is “removed” when the signals are brought together on the other end. This is the same way XLR cables work. You can even convert the 1/4 TRS to XLR with an adapter if you require the XLR type connector wherever you are plugging in. You might want a pair just in case if doing shows in new clubs and places you might not know what type of sound system they have. The RCAs work as intended but are not balanced signals and interference can be picked up. Avoid running ANY of these cables near power supplies, power cords, and speakers if possible...especially the RCAs though.

Also, the same signal is sent to the RCAs as is to the TRS jacks. So, BEFORE THE SIGNAL IS PUT ON THE CABLE, the quality is the exact same I would guess.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  4. canberkhepsev

canberkhepsev New Member

thank you for answer EyesHockey but there is a small problem when i want to use booth out as boot with seperate volume control rca became master on new s4 interesting:S

5. EyesHockey

EyesHockey New Member

I went and read the manual. I guess that’s just the way it works.

I would want my monitors to be through the TRS connections...as wells as my mains (well TRS or XLR). That’s not an option here obviously...without additional equipment.

I think the name “Main/Booth” seems incorrect. It’s just an option to use another volume control in the signal path if wanted. So, you can set it to Booth and still have the top surface master set to normal full volume and use the meters fully. I can see this as helpful if at home and going TRS to the mains (no separate booth monitors at home usually, right?) but not wanting to practice at 4 AM at full volume.

Also, if you’re in a real Booth, I would imagine there is a traditional house or DJ mixer you can plug into which would have real Booth and Main outputs. So, I’d leave it on Main and not use the back knob.

I agree. It seems weird...and kind of a sales technique to make it look like it has main and booth outputs (???). Unless like you said...using the RCAs as the mains...which I would never do.

6. EyesHockey

EyesHockey New Member

When you say the RCAs become master...

That makes me think to ask...does the position of the Booth switch affect the output of the RCAs? Shouldn’t the RCA output be the same with the switch in either position?

Looking at the picture of the S4mk2, there is the white line over the switch, knob, and TRS jacks but a separate white line over the RCAs.

I did what I thought was going to be a quick search and couldn’t find a 2 Channel Mixer (non-DJ mixer) with a booth output...let alone a balanced booth output. I did, however, find a product that might give you the Booth control you desire. Check out the Mackie Big Knob Studio. It has two sets A & B of stereo balanced outputs each with a trim knob for volume. $200 US and really good reviews from what I can tell. It might be too big to carry around but is the closest thing I could find.

Last edited: May 22, 2018