1. Please be aware, the forum will be down on Monday 21st from 15:00 - 17:00 CET while the forum software is updated and Mick drinks cocktails. Thanks in advance for your understanding.
    Dismiss Notice

S4 MKI MBP crash 2 times last night

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by thatkidduffy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. thatkidduffy

thatkidduffy NI Product Owner

How do.

I've had the S4 mk1 since it came out more or less, always used with MBP 13" mid 2010. Never had it crash on me once. Bought the late 2013 MBP 13" retina a month ago, and again had no issues.

Last night I was recording a mix and after 1 hour all sound stopped suddenly, all of the S4 lights went off then the S4 USB light flashing was only sign of life. Traktor was still playing the active track on the screen, but I was unable to do anything (mouse and keyboard all without response).

Had to force the MBP to shut down. Restarted, played 2 tracks, same thing again.

I managed to successfully record the set in the end, but I'm concerned that this may happen again, especially if I'm playing out.

Running most up to date Mavericks, latest Traktor version and latest S4 driver. Any ideas?

2. zak2

zak2 New Member

Unfortunately I have no idea what causes it. But you are not alone mate. I have the exact same issue. During mixing all of a sudden the music stops, master usb light on the S4 starts blinking. First I though my traktor gave up, but then when I tried to stop the music on the mac, realised no keyboard, no trackpad. All gone :S Only solution is a hard reset.

I found this in my syslog:

Dec 5 21:50:14 xxx-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: vtd[0] fault: device 0:20:0 reason 0x6 R:0x341000
    Dec 5 21:50:14 xxx-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: com_caiaq_driver_TraktorKontrolS4_NIUSBAudioEngine(0xffffff81ab65d000): unable to submit irp for writing (0xe00002ef (UNDEFINED))
    Dec 5 21:50:14 xxx-MacBook-Pro-2 kernel[0]: USBF: 10679.139 AppleUSBXHCI::pollEventRing2 (bottom) - HSE bit set - USBSTS: 0x00000005

I've contacted NI Support, waiting for them to get back to me.

3. Abebe

Abebe NI Product Owner

If you have updated your laptop to OS X 10.9 Mavericks then update the latest traktor s4 driver as well and see if it helps.

4. thatkidduffy

Thanks for the replies.

Zak2, thats exactly what happened to mine. I'll be interested to hear what feedback you get. Thanks.

Abebe, I already tried that. No joy. Thanks for the tip though.

5. zak2

zak2 New Member

Re,

Got a reply from the support. They told me that a couple of users experiencing the same issue. Advised me to use the right USB port on the macbook. I'll give it a go.

Are you using the left port too or have you tried both?

6. djphilip

djphilip New Member

i have the same problem, i try both usb but still the problem remain...on 15" mbp late 2013

7. thatkidduffy

I've only been using the left USB so far actually.

OK, I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks pal.

8. zak2

zak2 New Member

djphilip: contact NI Support and they'll ask for some logs and stuff

the more we report the better chance they got to find a common problem in our setups

9. ridgeleyy

ridgeleyy New Member

I have the exact same problem, 13" haswell MBP, kontrol s4 mk1.. It's happened to me a few times already, once live. Hopefully nothing happens at my gig tonight.. This really needs to be fixed!

10. thatkidduffy

OK, so this is becoming too common for it to be ignored.

Come on NI, get it sorted!

11. djdeebo

djdeebo Forum Member

12. thatkidduffy

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is not that the controller doesn't work. It does. Perfectly, and has done for a couple of years.

I have most up to date drivers etc, the issue seems to be with the latest software update and the 2013 retina MBP.

13. djdeebo

djdeebo Forum Member

Dude, I had the same issue as you described with the mk1, after years of flawless playing.. It started with the latest 2.6.5 update and automatically the latest controller editor version. I had multiple crashes during 1 night. I opened the controller editor each time this occurred and it displayed an error. downgrading the controller editor was the only thing that worked.

14. conorjay

conorjay New Member

I am having the same problem. Absolute nightmare when it cut out last night mid DJ set!

I've sent an email to NI support detailing the problem. Hope they fix it soon!!!

15. thatkidduffy

Ahh right. Should have really thought of that. I'll give it a punt. Cheers pal!

Just deleted controller editor, then downgraded to contoller editor 1.5.6. Not gonna get chance to have much of a test this week, but hopefully that makes a difference.

16. ridgeleyy

ridgeleyy New Member

After hours of experimenting I can guarantee that the crash only occurs when I use the Kontrol S4's soundcard connected to a PA system or studio monitors (using the outputs at the back). If i use the macbook pro's built in soundcard, i have no problems. (someone test this out so we can get a confirmation) HOWEVER, this way I can't cue using my headphones, can't control master volume on S4, can't route audio from S4 to PA system, i'd have to use the 3.5mm jack on my macbook instead to get any audio out... (so in other words it's just as hopeless lol)

I've contacted NI tech support about the problem (http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/contact-support/tech-support/), and if you have this problem you should too so they become more aware of the issue. this HAS to be fixed asap! no gigs in january but got a lot in febuary so hopefully they'll do something about it before then. i'll report back when they've replied to my support request.

• Like Like x 1
  17. djforme

djforme New Member

Exactly same problem my emd using the 15 inch mac book retina you describe it perfectly . What a pain cant trust this in the live arena yet.

18. djforme

djforme New Member

This needs to be rectified. And quickly I reported the problem got an email ticket back from them stating they have a high volume of enquiries . Not good enough. If you crash on new years eve you wont get a booking next year . NI I am begging you to get this sorted. We use Traktor for various reason but I think I speak for every user when I say RELIABILITY AND SUPPORT COMES FIRST. all the other add ons means nothing if you crash.

19. timogoebel

timogoebel New Member

I do have the same problem as well and was able to collect some logs and sent them to NI support. They imho clearly indicate a driver problem. The USB-LED starts blinking and the S4 stops to work. The only way you can get the S4 to working again is by rebooting the MacBook. Powering off the S4 etc. does not help at all.
    My MacBook even experienced a kernel panic. Let me just quote the backtrace in case anyone is interested.

I have some spare CDJ-400 lying around and will try to work with them until NI has fixed the problem.

20. chrisvanhorn

chrisvanhorn New Member

Oh my god... I thought I was the only one having this issue. NI has told me they have no idea what is causing it, and that I have to replace my S4. I have had this happen to me MULTIPLE TIMES live, and I can't even book gigs anymore. WHAT DO I DO? :(