Save crashes?

Discussion in 'KOMPAKT' started by rpmartino, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpmartino

rpmartino NI Product Owner

Thanks for the great link ddas, I've been playing with some of the sounds at:

http://kontakt.daw-mac.com

However when I import these and try to save them as Kompakt instruments (the drum kits for example), I usually get an unknown software exception (0xc0000017) crash (both in standalone mode and in Sonar). Is anyone else having this problem or maybe something about my setup I should look into?

Thanks,
    Rob
    www.wavearts.com

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

I just tried exactly this (though I'm on a Mac) and got no error message. This could be a PC-specific issue or it could be particular to your computer. I'm not sure. Have any other PC experienced similar things? (Please post here.) I'll try to contact some PC users to test.

3. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

ddas,

I can confirm this problem on my system. At first i thought it was a dodgy PC, but I've rebuit it cleanly (new OS install etc) and I get the crash sometimes. I think its if you save in Sonar and then exit.

thanks
    Michael

4. David Das

Can you help me summarize this so that I can report it helpfully to the developers?

What CPU are you using? What MIDI interface and what driver versions do you have? And what version of Sonar? Does this happen on all imported patches? Of what type? (Old Kontakt format, Giga, Akai, etc...) Basically you are saying you import the patch, try to save, and when you click save you get an error message?

If you can summarize all this for me neatly, it will help the developers replicate the bug and squash it.

5. rpmartino

I submitted a formal support request with NI with my system specifics but if it helps:

Pentium III 800
    Sonar 2.2
    Midiman Midisport 2x2
    Midiman Delta 66
    256MB RAM

Seems to happen more frequently when I try to import longer Kontakt patches/multis from that Kontakt website (like Das Dry Rock Kit v3 or the Schimmel Piano). I import, save, and either get an exception crash or it just permanently freezes. Happens in Sonar and standalone mode.

Rob
    www.wavearts.com

6. Z

Z NI Product Owner

What kind of archive program did you use to uncompress the .sit files? I found a stuffit expander for Windows by a company simply called stuffit, but every file I tried to uncompress, just came up with a weird error. The FAQ on their web site told me that was most likely because the file was compressed on a Mac (err right, those are actually what uses stuffit in the first place), and there were invalid Mac-only characters in the file name.

7. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

Hi ddas,

my set up is

P4 1.8 Ghz IBM Netvista
    W2K SP4
    M-Audio 1010LT v31 driver
    Sonar 2.2 XL
    midiman 2x2
    evolution 249c controller

It happens with both Kompakt and Kontakt samples.

There seems to be 2 types of crashes
    1) Where you hit save on Kompakt
    2) When exiting Sonar with Kompakt as a DXi pluigin

I haven't spotted a repeatable pattern yet. I'll keep investigating.

cheers
    Michael

8. David Das

Thanks Dorism for your system setup. Do let us know if you can figure out any rhyme or reason to the crashes. NI are now aware of the problem, so they're working on it too, and as soon as they can replicate it, then they'll be able to look towards fixing it.

Z, that's very strange. That's the first time I've heard of anyone complaining of such a thing. The program you need is a freeware program called StuffIt Expander, available from the company aladdinsys.com. Do make sure you have the latest version (not some older version downloaded from an archive site).

If it still doesn't work, let me know which file it is that has this "illegal character" and I'll try to look at it individually and restuff it for you minus any weird characters I find.

9. Z

Z NI Product Owner

That's the one I got. Downloaded from stuffit.com but the support link goes to aladdinsys.com. The error I got is listed up here: http://www.aladdinsys.com/support/techsupport/qanda.php?id=388
    I do believe I have the latest version, but I'll check when I get home from work.

10. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

Hi Guys,

OK....I 'think' I've found a way of repeating the bug... can somebody verify this one for me?
    On my system if you make a chnage to the (DXi) Kompakt within Sonar (increase the volume on an instrument for instance), and exit Sonar without saving..... Sonar crashes with an error.

Unfortunately I don't have the laptop handy to double check this.

cheers
    Michael

11. rpmartino

Yes, I just verified this, I didn't realize it was so simple. I loaded up a Sonar template with an instance of Kompakt (which has a drum kit loaded), changed the volume on the kick drum, exited Sonar without saving, and it crashed. Sonar will no longer boot after that without a restart.

Rob
    www.wavearts.com

12. jfhyde

jfhyde NI Product Owner

Hi, I brought this up last week; (see thread "Sonar crashes"), and had it verified by some other users on the sonar forum. Its interesting to note that the crash only occurs if something is adjusted but not much help because I'm always adjusting something. Basically Kompakt crashes when you close the project window in Sonar. I've emailed NI support but no response as yet.

But for now, Sonar users take note: Kompakt doesn't work with Sonar!

John

13. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

Hi John,

yeah, you're right. This is bug is a bad one. I won't bew using Kompakt with Sonar until a patch comes out (soon hopefully).
    Let us know what NI say.

thanks
    michael

14. jfhyde

jfhyde NI Product Owner

well..... I just got a reply from Omar Torres

Hello John... Here\'s something to try: 1. create a blank SONAR project 2. call up 1 instance of Kompakt 3. load some multi\'s 4. save the song and then close it to see if it crashes. if it does, then send the SONAR song file to me so that I can test it here and take a closer look.

So I did and I emailed it to him, I did point out that you have to changed something in Kompakt in order for it to crash....

John

15. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

Thanks John. Last nigth I did some more experimenting. i found that it didn't matter if you save in Sonar or not. It will crash if you change any settings in Kompakt regardless!

16. jfhyde

jfhyde NI Product Owner

Latest reply from NI tech support:

Hello John... thanks, we are on it, and the developers are aware of the problem. it should be fixed within the next update. regards, omar ----------------------------------------------- -> Omar Torres _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _-> Customer Support -> Native Instruments USA, Inc. -> 5631A Hollywood Blvd. -> Los Angeles, CA 90028_ _ _ __-> USA ->

I hate to be bitchy, but how the heck did that get by beta testing???? Run Sonar, run Kompakt, change a few paremeters, close project, crash!!!! Not that hard to find! :)

17. Briguy

Briguy NI Product Owner

That's what I was wondering?. How did it pass beta?. ddas refer to my system specs for more info. See thread named DDAs where r u need an answer.

18. David Das

In NI's defense, there are only a limited number of beta-testers, and even in the beta-testing pool, it's impossible to guarantee representation of every major sequencer combined with every audio interface out there. The beta-test pool catches hundreds and hundreds of bugs you will never see. It's not like they're sitting around doing nothing.

But software is a bit like buying a house or buying a car. It's such a complicated thing that it's pretty much impossible to ever get a perfect one. So developers have to prioritize, note the worst bugs, and do their best to fix them.

And after all this philosophizing...

NI are aware of the problem and a Kompakt update is on its way. Don't know when...but it won't be too long.

19. Briguy

Briguy NI Product Owner

ddas

ddas what we r complaining about is sucjh an obvious issue. I can't even click on a fader or a knob inthe Kompakt program with out it crashing my sequencer which is cakewalk. The boxed item says " supports DX 2, well I dont think so. I just found more errors that at this point Im not going to mention right now mabe later. By the way you mention that there r limited beta teseters. To me that sounds dull if anyone has any vast knowledge of a pc or macand understands how software works anyone who would like to beta tesat should be given the opportunity. We are the customers, We r the one's that spend our hard earned dollars on NI's software and like my self I prefer to BUYYYYYYYYYYY my software instead of getting a free copy from so and so or using this method or that. I don't really believe in that ****. Sorry about the language but hear me out. I just called NI about ten minutes ago, and after 1 ring I got the voice mail service,2 in 2 days and does anyone answer or call back?. NoOOOOOOOOOOOO. So what the ?. You never responded to my last post anyway. I know your a moderator and I understand but what gives? I'm outa here.

20. Briguy

Briguy NI Product Owner

You said developers have to prioritize and look at the worst bugs. Well For some reason the Worst bug was missed with Sonar and DX, I just can't understand howsomething so obvious was missed. Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.